Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have had my Flex Rotary polisher since 2002 because I never had access to the PC. But I decided to splash out and import one to Ireland. Unfortunately I also had to splash out on a transformer and extension reel as well. It must be costing 3 or 4 times more than you Stateside folks pay!!

First impressions, its not really good for cutting. The Rotary is much more effective, so I was a little disappointed. Obviously the PC is best suited for finishing car paint and applying sealants but I was hoping for something better. I put a new thread in Click and Brag where I tried the PC for cutting an Audi S3. Had to change to the rotary but finished with the PC. There might be a problem though....

Even though that was day 1, I am now wondering if I am getting the right power into the machine. I had a feeling that I was only getting the agitation and not the spinning of the pad, so I made a mark with a pencil on an edge of the backing plate. As I figured, when I apply a little pressure, its not spinning, only orbiting. Is this supposed to happen? Has anybody else checked this or does it definitely spin?

Thanks for reading. Look forward to replies...

Sweepy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepy
    Well, I have had my Flex Rotary polisher since 2002 because I never had access to the PC. But I decided to splash out and import one to Ireland. Unfortunately I also had to splash out on a transformer and extension reel as well. It must be costing 3 or 4 times more than you Stateside folks pay!!

First impressions, its not really good for cutting. The Rotary is much more effective, so I was a little disappointed. Obviously the PC is best suited for finishing car paint and applying sealants but I was hoping for something better. I put a new thread in Click and Brag where I tried the PC for cutting an Audi S3. Had to change to the rotary but finished with the PC. There might be a problem though....

Even though that was day 1, I am now wondering if I am getting the right power into the machine. I had a feeling that I was only getting the agitation and not the spinning of the pad, so I made a mark with a pencil on an edge of the backing plate. As I figured, when I apply a little pressure, its not spinning, only orbiting. Is this supposed to happen? Has anybody else checked this or does it definitely spin?

Thanks for reading. Look forward to replies...

Sweepy.

It only orbits, however you can buy dual-mode polishers that have a forced rotation mode.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    What size pads? There seems to be a general consensus here that for effective correcting on hard clears you want to go down to 5.25 or less size pads with smaller 4 or 3.5 inch backing plates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the PC isn’t meant for major restoration. It really is intended for the finer stages. It can do more than just the finest work but you have to be patient. Since you’re already skilled with a rotary you’ll probably only use it for later stage polishing to remove the last remnants of hologramming or to apply non-cutting products.

One of the Euro-guys on one of the boards (don’t recall which) also found that the voltage converter he was using wasn’t up to the load. He tried a friend’s beefier transformer and found the PC worked a whole lot better (and that he needed to buy himself another transformer).

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you kindly for the response guys.

PC - good thought. I think my transformer is pretty good for the job. It could run a couple of power tools at the same time. I think I am reassured by Dave there. Cheers - I wasn`t sure what the actual action should be.

Yal, I never even thought of smaller pads..... though I only have Orange cutting pads in small and medium size. I will try the smaller one next time.

I can see how it is good for the finer stages, so I will practice further with different pads and polishes there.

Fair play to you...

Sweepy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the other pc
    ......One of the Euro-guys on one of the boards (don’t recall which) also found that the voltage converter he was using wasn’t up to the load. He tried a friend’s beefier transformer and found the PC worked a whole lot better (and that he needed to buy himself another transformer)......
    That would be Axe:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...-new-ride.html
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Like crew219 said, it doesn`t spin perse. It does, but it`s a free rotation. You`ll see it spin with little pressure, but once you use moderate pressure it will just orbit. The orbiting is similar to how you would wax by hand as it sort of spins off center.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s good enough for me. I was just expecting some spin initially, so now at least I know there isn`t a problem with the machine.

Thanks a million.

Thread Information