Post Thanks / Like
    I know i should probably search but i did and found way way to many threads about this.

How to get rid of rotary holograms with a rotary?

I just purchased a makita because of some bad scratches on my car and thinking of doing it as a weekend thing.

I decided to practice on my hood with Mothers step 2 polish and a white compounding pad from 3M. I know this is probably the cause of it and the soft honda paint, but i was just wondering is there anyway to avoid making holograms (besides buying better pads, trying to save up)? And is there a way to get rid of em?

Another question would be, which polishes should i get? i know which pads to get already and thats LC pads, i was thinking the pinnacle xmt intermediate swirl remover kit, but id like to know how to NOT get holograms and if i do how to get rid of em.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated, im trying this on my car before i start doing it for friends then customers.

Vic

Post Thanks / Like
    anybody? am i the wrong section

Post Thanks / Like
    Vic,

consistency is the key. Use even, steady pressure and maintain a good rhythm. You will probably need a lighter finishing pad as well. I bought Menzerna last weekend; 106FF, PO85RD & PO85RD3 Intensive. Excellent system - I used Lambswool pad, white foam pad and grey finishing pad to complete the job. I had to use the lambswool on one car because it was very bad. I wouldn`t recommend wool to a newbie though.

It takes time to get used to rotary polishers though. Don`t expect to be perfect for the first couple of times. Also remember, you CANNOT rush the process. Start with the lightest polish and work your way up to the one that will correct the swirls perfectly. Err` on the side of caution.....Slow and steady is the way to go. You will get to understand the way the polisher, pads and products work with experience.

Sweepy

Post Thanks / Like
    wow finally thanks for the help man, so now how can i remove the holograms that i caused with the rotary? id rather not spend 130$ on a pc id rather buy supplies or oil and brake pads lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is, it takes practice to get the hang of a polisher. I don`t know Mother`s products at all, I`m afraid. They don`t sell them here. How abrasive is Mother`s step 2?

See, you may have already taken a lot of clear off with the pad or maybe not. We can`t know without an ETR. Could be why people weren`t answering you here! ....

Get a light abrasive and try buffing it out with that first. I would also suggest a softer pad to finish the hood.

Think about this also: Holograms can be caused by product going dry on the pad, or else too little product (so the pad has the effect). Do you have access to IPA to wipe as you go? Perhaps you need to mist water on your pad (were you doing that?)....

Don`t lose heart though. I`ve used only a rotary for a few years. They are great when you gain experience and technique. Practice, practice, practice....

Sweepy

Post Thanks / Like
    ok first off whats ETR mean lol? its not that abrasive i mean it takes off most swirls and scratches but theres still a bunch there, then again my car is 5yrs old with 126k on it.

Whats IPA mean to? i havent bought any good pads ive just used a compounding 3M pad which im sure is the mistake.

Sweepy i dont think much of the clearcoat is gone might have taken .01 off the clear but thats about it.

I just bought a hood from work to practice on so i wont take anymore clear of my car, pads and optimum polish are next on my list.

Thread Information