1 set of white pads

All Orange Pads

OR

1 set of white

2 green

2 orange

How much of a diff is the orange vs. the green pads when polishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Orange is about the highest you can go to apply a polish with.

The Green pad and Yellow pad are what I use regularly to apply a polish, I rarely use the Orange, only in circumstances where there is extreme webbing, deeper scratches, or massive swirling.

I think you would find the yellow or green to fit *most* jobs...
    Ryan

2008 BMW 335i

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t the Yellow MORE aggressive than the orange/green

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong

For their 6" and 8" pads yes. so I would assume this is the same for the 4".

I have a orange, green, and yellow Edge 4" pad, but yet to use on my PC. From feeling them, they feel slightly softer than the 6" pads, but this is probably because they are brand new.

I`m not really to fond of the orange pad in any size. I don`t care for the very stiff, firm, and dense foam. Is very easy to get lopsided. I can get a finish LSP ready with green pad and a light polish no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, you can`t have enough green polishing pads. I use them with compounds on softer paint to prevent hazing a harsher pad can leave.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Honestly, you can`t have enough green polishing pads. I use them with compounds on softer paint to prevent hazing a harsher pad can leave.

I`ve wondered for a while now whether the green foam Edge uses on the new 4" pads is the same as the green foam on the larger pads. They call the 4" green a polishing foam, but the green foam on the larger pads feels very much like a cutting foam to me. I haven`t gotten the 6" E2K green to finish down LSP ready yet via PC yet, although I`ve only used that pad on soft paints so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong

Quote Originally Posted by Whitethunder46
    For their 6" and 8" pads yes. so I would assume this is the same for the 4".

I have a orange, green, and yellow Edge 4" pad, but yet to use on my PC. From feeling them, they feel slightly softer than the 6" pads, but this is probably because they are brand new.

I`m not really to fond of the orange pad in any size. I don`t care for the very stiff, firm, and dense foam. Is very easy to get lopsided. I can get a finish LSP ready with green pad and a light polish no problem.

Actually, that is NOT correct.

After subsequent conversations/emails with Aaron from Edge, the order from most aggressive to least aggressive goes as such:

Orange > Yellow > Green > Blue > White

Autogeek lists the order incorrectly.

I use the yellow and the green far more often than any of the other pads.
    Ryan

2008 BMW 335i

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanDe680
    Actually, that is NOT correct.

After subsequent conversations/emails with Aaron from Edge, the order from most aggressive to least aggressive goes as such:

Orange > Yellow > Green > Blue > White

Autogeek lists the order incorrectly.

I use the yellow and the green far more often than any of the other pads.

I did some asking and such, and well quite frankly, I don`t believe you are correct.

Here is what Aaron had to say about this on another board.

"Hope I can help here but it is quite confusing

There is the standard Edge line of Polyester Urethane Domestic Foams

There is the Durafoam Edge Line of stiffer Domestic Prepolymer Foams

There is the European Edge Line of stiff Prepolymer Foams

In the standard line from Coarse to Fine

Black, Yellow,Green, Blue, White

In the Durafoam ( we only now make for DA pads in Two types

Yellow, Green

In the European Pre polymer foams

Orange, Yellow

We now also make a red one for AG which is similar to our Standard Blue pad

In my opinion, The European foams are quite agressive even though they don`t feel so rough on the texture but because they are so stiff and push back on the paint they cut pretty hard but finish well.

The Durafoams are stiff and cut well but not as fast as the Orange, but the Yellow is softer and cuts like our Green but its not in any line of AG at this point and is mostly used on rotary buffers.

We don`t make the durafoams in blue and White because they do not have good polishing characteristics and that is what the blue and white pads purpose is.

There are alot of foams out there, many that are totally different and can`t be just put into the same texture chart because they are so different in the way the perform and act. It comes down to a personal preference. Most guys in the USA don`t like the stiff foams, they cut too hard and feel like a brick on the car. Most in Europe don`t like the softer pads they feel like it takes too long to cut with them. Therefore we make the whole range to satisfy everyones needs. We are going to make several new charts on our website to help clarify this but it may take a few weeks before they are on the website so check back regularly.

Thanks,

Aaron Krause (President & CEO)

Dedication To Detail, Inc.

777 Henderson Blvd.

Suites # 1 & 2

Folcroft, PA 19032"

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once you use a green pad, it`s hard not to want more of them! It`s the best "all around" pad that EDGE offers. I use it for compound, AIO`s, and even LSP`s. I use the yellow, green, and white the most. I really don`t use the orange a lot nor the blue. Just preference I guess.

These are truly some durable pads though. I have some that are 5+ months olds. Also, wait till you feel the EDGE system on the Cyclo. I can`t even tell it`s on. For real.

Post Thanks / Like
    The question I have is perhaps the same one some others are wondering about:

Foam-wise, are the 4" Edge pads the same as the 4" Cyclo-branded pads? Frm my discussions with Anthony O. and Irene B. (at TOL) I thought they were the same but I wouldn`t bet my life on it.

The Cyclo pads go yellow-orange-green-white and the green ones a just a bit too aggressive to leave a perfect finish on some paints. The yellows in *this* brand`s range are fairly aggressive cutting pads but they seem to lose a little cut after extened use with aggressive products on hard paint. Still, they`re not something you`d ever mistake for a regular polishing pad. And as is often the case, the orange ones are mighty stiff/firm.

Like ScottWax, with the Cyclo brand pads I use the green ones more than any others, just doing final polishing and LSPs with the white ones. Never really use the yellow for anything except holding MF bonnets. Sometimes use the orange if I`m trying to get by with only one step by rotary (done first) but more often I use the orange pads on the rotary itself for limited areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some asking and such, and well quite frankly, I don`t believe you are correct.

Here is what Aaron had to say about this on another board.

"Hope I can help here but it is quite confusing

There is the standard Edge line of Polyester Urethane Domestic Foams

There is the Durafoam Edge Line of stiffer Domestic Prepolymer Foams

There is the European Edge Line of stiff Prepolymer Foams

In the standard line from Coarse to Fine

Black, Yellow,Green, Blue, White

In the Durafoam ( we only now make for DA pads in Two types

Yellow, Green

In the European Pre polymer foams

Orange, Yellow

We now also make a red one for AG which is similar to our Standard Blue pad

In my opinion, The European foams are quite agressive even though they don`t feel so rough on the texture but because they are so stiff and push back on the paint they cut pretty hard but finish well.

The Durafoams are stiff and cut well but not as fast as the Orange, but the Yellow is softer and cuts like our Green but its not in any line of AG at this point and is mostly used on rotary buffers.

We don`t make the durafoams in blue and White because they do not have good polishing characteristics and that is what the blue and white pads purpose is.

There are alot of foams out there, many that are totally different and can`t be just put into the same texture chart because they are so different in the way the perform and act. It comes down to a personal preference. Most guys in the USA don`t like the stiff foams, they cut too hard and feel like a brick on the car. Most in Europe don`t like the softer pads they feel like it takes too long to cut with them. Therefore we make the whole range to satisfy everyones needs. We are going to make several new charts on our website to help clarify this but it may take a few weeks before they are on the website so check back regularly.

Thanks,

Aaron Krause (President & CEO)

Dedication To Detail, Inc.

777 Henderson Blvd.

Suites # 1 & 2

Folcroft, PA 19032"

The bold part to me sounds like the Orange cuts more, which is what I originally stated. :nixweiss
    Ryan

2008 BMW 335i

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanDe680
    The bold part to me sounds like the Orange cuts more, which is what I originally stated. :nixweiss

After re-reading it, it sounds like there are two lines. One of which the orange is the coarsest, and than another where it isn`t.

IDK, I`m just going to stick with what I know works!

Post Thanks / Like
    After re-reading it, it sounds like there are two lines. One of which the orange is the coarsest, and than another where it isn`t.

IDK, I`m just going to stick with what I know works!

Perhaps...

I am referring to these: Dedication to Detail - The Edge Buffing Pads
    Ryan

2008 BMW 335i

Thread Information