Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a PC 7336 (should be arriving today) for use on my Silver Grey `04 BMW 325xi. This is my first time attempting machine polishing. I was originally one of those clueless people who thought you didn`t wax clear coat... but I have seen the light!

:think2

I`ve been doing stuff by hand but I have a bunch of scratches and scuff marks I want to get out and the "by hand" scratch removers aren`t working. I figured I`d rather spend $300 buying my own equipment/supplies rather than paying the same amount for someone to do it just once.

I have an Orange, White, and Black 6.5" pad along with Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish.

I`m not sure what happened, but it looks like someone brushed my driver side with a Christmas tree (not the case, but my best description). Tiny scratches on the driver side doors in various directions. I don`t have any photos handy, but while the scratches don`t look deep, I can feel them slightly if I rub my finger nail over them. There are also some scuff marks on the roof (looks like the previous owner rested boxes or something on top).

Give my equipment and supplies... how should I begin? I was thinking of starting with the compound and orange pad for the scratches, then following with the white and polish. Or, perhaps just start with the orange and polish first to see if I really need the compound at all. I simply don`t have a feel for what each pad/compound/polish combination is capable of.

Also, how do I deal with two tiny scratches on the face of the painted door handle? Is it safe to apply the PC to such a narrow, slightly curved surface? I tried Scratch X on them (by hand) but while it diminished their appearance it didn`t get rid of them.

Thanks for any help you can provide... just trying to ease my mind to build some confidence.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say try the Polish with the orange pad first. If that doesn`t take out the scratches, move on to the Compound. Others with experience can chime in, but you should be able to use the machine on the handles if you can get it in there. But then mine was just an 11 year old Oldsmobile, not a nice BMW

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the Hyper compound or the compound?

I would start with the compound and the orange pad. Work it good the compound will break down and finish off nice. I dont know who`s pads you so can`t tell you what pad to use for the polish and the pad for your lsp.

Your door handel should not be a problem polishing. Just hold the pc there or move it side to side for a short amount of time stop and check top make sure your not over heating the finish. I would say that if the scratches don`t go away with a few passes there in there for good. On a small curved area such as this they should remove quickly.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Optimum Compound, Optimum Polish (New Formula) and I`m using Lake Country pads.

They had Optimum Hyper Compound available but from the desciption it seemed like overkill for my situation.

I was planning on finishing off with some Klasse AIO since I read that it tends to last a while (and we`re heading into the winter months).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolffe
    .....I was planning on finishing off with some Klasse AIO since I read that it tends to last a while (and we`re heading into the winter months).
    While AIO does offer *some* protection, it doesn`t really last that long for most of us. It is a very good prep for another topper, so if you`re looking for durability through the winter I`d put on a few layers of Klasse SG (or some other durable LSP).
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    :werd:

listen to Eliot ness - if you havent discovered already by the millions of threads on AIO - use is as the base coat for KSg, and a few layers will get your car winter preped!

Optimum rocks BTW . . . :2thumbs:
    "Nice wax job rook!" . . . . - Ramathorn

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I ordered some Klasse SG as well.

I also plan to repair some stone chips while I`m at it. My plan was to fill the chips with paint until slightly raised, then lightly sand down to a smooth finish with 1500 grit (can`t find 2000 or 3000 around here). I imagine that it shouldn`t be any problem buffing out the aftermath of the sanding?

I think that I`ll start off with the Polish + Orange pad to get comfortable. If that doesn`t get the scratch out I`ll try the Compound + Orange pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolffe
    ...... My plan was to fill the chips with paint until slightly raised, then lightly sand down to a smooth finish with 1500 grit (can`t find 2000 or 3000 around here). I imagine that it shouldn`t be any problem buffing out the aftermath of the sanding?....
    Get some Meg`s Unigrit. The following site sells it by the single sheet, and the quality and higher grit will make it well worth the shipping cost even if you only order a handful of sheets:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Supplies.htm
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some Meg`s Unigrit. The following site sells it by the single sheet, and the quality and higher grit will make it well worth the shipping cost even if you only order a handful of sheets:

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.c...%20Supplies.htm

i took the same advice a week or so ago...ordered individual sheets from that site and received them VERY quickly. top notch...and nice to not have to buy 25-packs of each grit!
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Thread Information