Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had my PC for quite some time now, but was only able to use it on glass, as I didn`t have any pads. I`ve read way too many posts here on Autopia, and you guy`s have greatly affected my wallet, and my way of life, all I do is work on my car now, lol. Well, today I finally decided to put my new pads and polishes to work. I ordered the Sonus SFX polishing pads, and Optimum Polish and Compound. I have a motorsports edition 2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T, and she`s my baby, however, I`ve had to look at all the terrible swirl marks for way too long, and it was really getting discouraging. I started out with Optimum compound, and a White SFX-2 polishing pad. I read that it took a little longer for the Optimum lineup to breakdown, so after several slow passes, I turned off my PC, wiped off the residue and inspected. I was very impressed, as all of the swirl marks were gone, however I felt that that OC didn`t leave the finish quite LSP ready. So, I stepped down to OP with the SFX-3 finishing pad, gave it several slow passes, wiped off the residue, and inspected. It got all off the swirl marks out as I had expected, and I was greatly impressed, however I felt it still didn`t look near as good as some of the black panels I`ve seen on here, (partly because of the multitude of small microscopic dots in the paint{rocks maybe?} and water etching.) As I`m still kind of new to this game, I figured I would wait until I got some more skill to try and deal with the water etching, and small dots, I`m afraid I`ll remove too much clear coat? I was very satisfied to say the least, then I decided to pull out my spotlight! I placed the beam on the paint, and looked, I was still impressed. So, I decided to bend down (almost sticking my nose on the paint) and inspect further, and if you look reeeeeaaaallly hard, you can see very microscopic hazing, I`m talking little scratches that are ions in width, depth, and length! For some reason I have a feeling that any one else would just disregard it and call it simply awesome, but I`m a picky SOB. I cannot stress how fine this hazing is, keep in mind that I had to look as hard as I could putting a VERY bright light on it. I have a feeling that if I was to put some LSP on it, it would fill it in and dissapear, but I don`t want that! I feel like it should be prepped to where the only "Filling" that takes place is the deep scratches, and defects, ect ect. I`ve read a lot about how the SFX pads have a little more "bite" than others, maybe I just need to purchase an even softer pad? Or, it could be that I`m using too much polish, and it`s all not breaking down like it should, although I read somewhere that optimum polish doesn`t break down like others do, so I could be wrong. Am I? Maybe my eyesight is so super duper magnified, that I can see the bite marks left behind OP and need a gentler polish? Maybe I should just quit bieng so darn picky? Questions, Questions, Questions!!!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I want to do this right the first time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, the PC is a great machine, but it is still limited to being a DA or RO. I don`t know if this is correct, but I get the impression that you aren`t spending too much time on the paint, for fear of ripping up all the clearcoat. Correct me if I`m wrong. Basically, how long are you spending on the panel? How many slow passes do you do? You may have to spend more time to let the product and the PC to do it`s work. You are using a finishing pad, so I don`t see the pad being the problem, if the scratches are as microfine as you say they are.

I`ve never used optimum, so I can`t say whether or not it`s the polish. But since it is a all-in-one polish, you could try something more task specific that is optimized to do what you want it to do.

Other than that, I`ve learned that no matter how much I use an RO, there are scratches and defects that it just can`t touch.
    Don

Equilibrium Engineering Detailing Services

Post Thanks / Like
    gtbaka, I get where youre coming from, and all, but I am getting defects out with it. As I mentioned, the swirls are GONE, and im officially impressed! So I know im spending enough time. But yeah, you are right about the OP bieng a more all-in-one type polish. I may end up doing both, getting a way softer pad, and maybe RMG?

Post Thanks / Like
    The other reason why I thought you might not be working the product in too much was that you stopped before getting the water etching out. I don`t know what those microscopic dots you`re talking about are, unless that`s fallout. And you need to clay that stuff out if it is.

Go ahead and try the softer pad or lighter cut polish, or try a chemical-abrasive polish. See how that goes.
    Don

Equilibrium Engineering Detailing Services

Post Thanks / Like
    I read up some on pad types, and on a chart I found on here, linky it says the blue SFX pad is about the same abrasiveness as a DAS green and a Propel green! So...Im definately going to buy some more pads...and probably a less aggressive polish too. Just thought I`d give you all an update

Thread Information