Post Thanks / Like
    Hi im in the process of looking for a RO. I dont want to get a PC as im in Australia and the transformer i need to run it along with the hassle that comes with it (the transformer) doesnt appeal to me.

Could someone please help as to what the ideal orbit size is. Does anyone know the exact orbit size for the PC as i have seen many different opinions on this site about it.

I am turning my head in circles trying to decide which machine to go for.

http://www.festool.com.au/mediandowe...BEGIN=1&#anker

(7mm orbit too big??)

http://www.festool.com.au/mediandowe...69&AKTIVPROD=1

http://www.festool.com.au/mediandowe...69&AKTIVPROD=1

(is this machine in forced rotation mode too risky for a beginner?)

http://www.rupes.com.au/showProduct.asp?ProductID=75

http://www.rupes.com.au/showProduct.asp?ProductID=77

http://auptocs.bosch-pt.com/boptocs-...8&prod_id=5849

I dont want to go for cheaper alternatives as i like good quality tools.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, everything you show looks like they are optimized for sanding... not polishing. I`ve already said on another thread that I love bosch (almost as much as metabo), and you seem to suggest a bosch sander, but why not the bosch polisher shown on the same site?

http://auptocs.bosch-pt.com/boptocs-...0&prod_id=5890

Don

Equilibrium Engineering Detailing Services

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, my mistake, I forgot, you want an orbital.

I guess your first and 3rd look like they could be compatible, but I think the concern is if a hook&loop velcro backing plate is compatible with the orbital polisher. I`ve never heard any concern about orbit length though.

I guess I`ll leave it to your fellow country men to answer your questions, and I`ll just shut up now. Sorry.
    Don

Equilibrium Engineering Detailing Services

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of people on this and other forums have tried to find an alternative to the pc. There isnt one! Nearest is I think the makita bo6040, but best course of action is to just import a pc and buy a transformer!

You wont regret it one bit - its a fabulous tool, and the best tool for the job, its not even that expensive, even with a transformer (which I had to buy)
    2 Classic Minis, Rover 200vi, Mazda mx5, Ford Mondeo Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to do a search on the DeWalt DW443. I`ve read and heard lots of great things about them as an alternative to a PC and I hear they are sold internationally without the need for a transformer. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pickett
    Lots of people on this and other forums have tried to find an alternative to the pc. There isnt one! Nearest is I think the makita bo6040, but best course of action is to just import a pc and buy a transformer!

You wont regret it one bit - its a fabulous tool, and the best tool for the job, its not even that expensive, even with a transformer (which I had to buy)

There are lots of true alternatives to the PC. You can choose almost every brand, every type with the necessary power - they will do the job exactly as good as the PC would. If you want a direct alternative, buy the Flex X1107VE which is the same product.

You`ll be just as happy with the Festools you mentioned, or the DeWalt 443, or a Bosch, or whatever. Other machines have (considerably) less vibration. Personal ergonomic preferences count; the machines will do what they are intended for. The actual pad throw/orbit diameter doesn`t count. The PC/Flex unit has a 8.8 mm orbit, but a 4mm pad throw is fully sufficient because it is usually coupled with faster speeds. The results will be the same. Smaller orbits, faster OPMs can finish down coarser products finer, but with the proper technique, and arm speeds it doesn`t matter at all. There can be slight differences in the time factor, but a DA is not a time warp machine. If you want faster results, upgrade to a rotary.

A twin mode DA (forced rotation) is just as safe as the normal counterparts, because the speed ranges are in the 380-670 RPM bracket - also slow. The pad still jiggles around while rotating so it softens the cutting action, making them safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bence, I appreciate your comments. If the PC is IT, okay. But it seems reasonable to me that other machines can do the job. I see that most 5" orbitals (which are lighter and less expensive than the PC) have a throw around 1/2 the size of the PC`s. Have folks tried these machines with 4" or 6" pads?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    The foam pads are of course flexible, and if the orbit is too small (5mm is not very much) the flex of the pad will absorb some of the orbit reducing its effectiveness. I am sure there are other tools out there, but for me the PC is the one, I am always impressed just how good it is everytime I work with it.....
    2 Classic Minis, Rover 200vi, Mazda mx5, Ford Mondeo Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    Smaller pad throw doesn`t mean reduced effectivity. Not at all!

Everything is about balance. A 5mm machine works just as good. Of course smaller than 4 mm would unnecessarily lengthen the working time. Consider the pad throw as the time factor of the machine. When it is bigger, it will correct faster. But a smaller throw (usually with higher speeds) can break down the aggressive compounds finer. After then, it is personal preference again... Ergonomics, vibration, sound level, etc. Try lot of them, check the grip, the overall comfort and then decide.

A stiff pad is better for correction and won`t absorb the jiggle; and a soft pad which *can* absorb it is meant for finishing, where it doesn`t matter. (But usually the flexibility of the pad amplifies the lateral, radial oscillation resulting in slightly greater pad face throw.)

Thread Information