Thread: curious now

Post Thanks / Like
    So anybody got an idea about why this could have happened with an LC finishing pad, metabo set at 1400 rpms, and the pad flat against the panel as much as possible. I was using FPII for light swirl removal. This appeared after 2 passes moving the rotary about 3-4 inches a second. The area was not hot after I saw it. Granted this is a subaru WRX STI`s side skirt which is painted plastic and heats up quick and being subie paint, you get the idea. I only had my camera phone so sorry abou the quality. Off to the subie dealership now.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the same thing happen on a Mustang side skirt. I think it has to do with the way the piece is painted from the factory and the fact that they put the paint on such side skirts super super thin. There is a lot of proper prep that comes with painting plastic interms of crazy chemicals and such, do they take the time to do it? idk I know that my side skirts on my WRX which are OEM paint is some of the thinest paint I have ever seen...I know it took almost no time at all to burn though that mustangs sideskirt...luckly it was a buddy of mine.

-Justin
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Post Thanks / Like
    this was a buddies car too....good thing he will be happy with the cheaper non-sti skirt set which is $73 cheaper than the one STI side skirt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru paint is the thinnest and worst I have experienced on a car. In fact I had stone chip damage repaired 2 months ago to my bonnet and front fenders and the paint quality of the repair is better than factory!

Post Thanks / Like
    subie paint is notoriously cheap. I`ve worked on a friends 2k4 STi and it had 10`s of rockchips and he hardly drives the thing.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really disheartening, I know that S*it happens but man, it really gives you a crappy feeling in the pit of your stomach. At least the rest of the car came out gorgeous, FPII + UPP= great llooking paint.

On a happier note body shop is giving me a great price to fix it, I take my personal vehicle there so I know the work performed will be top notch. Could have been a whole lot worse than $100 to respray!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottabir
    This is really disheartening, I know that S*it happens but man, it really gives you a crappy feeling in the pit of your stomach.

I hear ya. I was cleaning the plastic grille of a `70 Camaro and one of the little tabs on the grille snapped and fell to the ground. I couldn`t help but just stare at that tiny missing piece. When I told the owner and his wife, they said that a new grille was the next thing they planned to buy for it anyway! I still told the owner that I felt so bad, and there was no need to pay me for the detail. Yet he insisted, and dropped $60 in my hands anyway.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    I hear ya. I was cleaning the plastic grille of a `70 Camaro and one of the little tabs on the grille snapped and fell to the ground. I couldn`t help but just stare at that tiny missing piece. When I told the owner and his wife, they said that a new grille was the next thing they planned to buy for it anyway! I still told the owner that I felt so bad, and there was no need to pay me for the detail. Yet he insisted, and dropped $60 in my hands anyway.
    Those are the customers I like. Way back when I was young and dumb I was not careful and let my backing plate hit the painted sideview mirror of a car I was detailing for a show. Luckily I had the exact same car and color so I touched it up and fixed it and the car went on to take first place in its class. Oh, and I let the owner know but he was standing next to me and saw it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, he was standing right there buffing off a layer of 4* Upp

Thread Information