Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been lurking about on here for a while now, still amazed at the wealth of knowledge and advice! Any way I have decided that that a PC7424 sounds like a good investment, after reading all the posts and seeing the pics of the results people have got with them, so I`m gonna get one for Christmas.

I went on autopia-carcare last night to order a PC with the pad kit for delivery to the UK and when I got to the checkout, there was a box for coupon codes. Being my first time on there I thought I had better find out if there were any coupon codes I should be aware of before carrying on?

Cheers in advance for any help....
    Tom

>>> Rover 220 `Tomcat` Coupe <<<

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what the current coupons are right now. You might want to check this out to be updated with current promotions.

click
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I shall go take a look. TA! :brit
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I subscribed to that mailing list jobby, but the link in the confirmation mail doens`t appear to work?!?!

It told me to visit: /box.php?p=11&e=tom.pinney@bigfoot.com&funcml=csub& nl=11 but what should the prefix to that link be be? I tried www.autopia.org but that didn`t work...
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a mistake and must retract what has been posted previously. It was a thanksgiving sale. I am sorry for any misinformation.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    code = ABC should give 10% off doesn`t it?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll give that a try.

Anyone suggest what the link should be? Or should I try subscribing again?
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to subscribe to the mailing list in the end! :xyxthumbs

I also found a 10% discount code from when I subscribed to Autopia, so I placed my order for the PC7424 with SFX kit just moments ago. :woohoo: Next task is to source a transformer to use my PC in the UK.

I was gonna use the `try a product for free` thing from Autopia-Carcare site cos my order was over the required value, but I couldn`t use more than one coupon so the 10% took priority. If this hobby is half as addictive as I expect it to be, I`m sure the next order will enable me to take advantage of it tho.

Can`t wait to get my hands on the PC now!
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tompinney
    If this hobby is half as addictive as I expect it to be, I`m sure the next order will
    FILL A 20 FOOT CONTAINER

Yes, the hobby is that addicting! It is also very peaceful once the body has mastered the necessary skills, because you can "zone out" ane become very relaxed (Note: I did not say inattentive). And satisfying too because you can create something beautiful from something that is not. In fact, you may get so addicted, you will perform your magic for others on their vehicles for merely the cost of materials.

There is one note of caution _I_ must add. I used the PC a lot and with gripping the side handle too tightly while the machine was running, I damaged the tendons of the first 2 fingers of my left hand, resutling in one of them "triggering" - a very painful position for the finger to get into, but even more painful to get out of. Cortisone injections did not resove the contition so 3 weeks ago I had to have surgical intervention. My advice to ANYONE using the PC would be to wrap the side handle with foam and hold it in place with duct tape and ALWAYS were padded gloves (the semi-fingerless kind favored by contruction workers)

Here is the advice I offered my friends in the local Ford Lightning Club, should they decide to "take the plunge" and begin to polish paint:

THE REQUIRED STUFF

Porter Cable 7336 Polisher

6" flexible backing plate (Lake Country`s has alignment hole in center) with centering tool

6-7" Lake country variable contact pads:

(i) 3 yellow cutting pads for serious defect removal

(ii) 2 orange medium cut pads for touch-up of medium scratches

(iii) 3 white polishing pads for general maintenance and the "last cut"

(iv) 3 gray finishing pads for burnishing the paint to a high gloss

Polish (many good lines avilable - Meguiars, Einszett, Poorboys). I REALLY like the Menzerna line"

(i) Menzerna Intensive polish for medium to semi-serious defect removal

(ii) Menzerna Final Polish for burnishing paint to high gloss

OR

(iii) Menzerna P085RD for burnishing paint to highest possible gloss

PLEASE NOTE A PORTER CABLE DOES NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY POWER TO REMOVE SERIOUS PAINT DEFECTS AND THIS IS THE REASON I HAVE NOT MENTIONED ANY SERIOUS DEFECT CORRECTION POLISHES.

At least 24 microfiber towels, more is better (I have about 72).

Finish of your choice (Meguiars, Pinnacle, Menzerna, Blackfire, ...) I REALLY like the Klasse twins and occasionally 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection.

(i) 16 OZ Klasse All In One

(ii) 32 OZ Klasse Selant Glaze

Another series of observations

No single polish line from a given manufacturer will remove every single defect because of varying hardness of paint. I user 4-5 different polish lines and when one does not work, I`ll change to another. As your interest grows, you should consider buying a second or third line to cover all the bases.

Don`t buy a wool pad, as the Porter Cable doesn`t have the power to drive it as necessary. A wool pad is a rotary pad and you DEFINITELY DON`T WANT TO START OUT USING A ROTARY AS YOU CAN BURN AN EDGE OR DIG A HOLE IN A HEARTBEAT IF YOU DON`T HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN OR EXPERIENCE.

Purchase more pads as you can afford them. They won`t last forever, but you can expect one or two years out of a "set", depending on the amount of time used. It seems to be the case, but you will ALWAYS need one or two more pads than you actually have.

When a pad gets "loaded" with product, its effectiveness is reduced - use polish sparingly and change often. If you run out, clean them, wring them out and "spin" them on the polisher to get them as dry as possible before re-use.. Toss it into a bucket of water containing some blue Dawn to soak before cleaning at the end of the job. Never let polish dry out on the pad. Clean pads thoroughly at the end of the job and set them aside to air dry before storing away for the next job.

Hope this helps you to become even more addicted :welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    You might try using the PC without the side handle to avoid problems like Mosca encountered. I haven`t had a side handle on my PCs since forever.

FWIW, if you have hard clear you might oughta get a small backing plate and some 4" pads. I find these work much more efficiently (maybe more effectively too, at least on very hard clear).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, the side handle, dont grab it, actually dont white knuckle any tool. I leave mine on, its easier to set upside down without it rolling over on the pad, but i dont hold it.

Tools should do the work, your hands, shoulders and arms are just a guide.

Watch someone use a jackhammer sometime. While he is holding it and bouncing around, he is relaxed and limber. Alot of fatigue can be eliminated by relaxing your hands and shoulders ect.

Thread Information