Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, I just want to say I`m glad I found this site. I`ve learned so much it`s not even funny. That being said, I really had no idea how to treat a cars paint. So I`ve gone and ordered a whole bunch of stuff to make my car pretty.

I feel fortunate that my paint is in pretty decent shape with only minor swirling. I`ve purchased a clay bar,SFX-2, Klasse AIO, UPP, and P21s wax and I`m hoping to get some good results.

However my question is this. Would I be better off biting the bullet and getting a PC? From what I`ve read, they seem to be a really good idea and quite easy to use. However, I`ve never done anything like this, and like everyone else I`m worried about screwing up my car.

Is it possible to get similar results by hand? Or would I be better off biting the bullet and ordering the PC?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I was in your position a couple of weeks ago when I found this site.

I have just received my delivery of a PC7424 complete with pads etc, along with cloths etc that I ordered at the same time from Autopia.

What service!

Ordered on 18th November and received in the UK 23rd November 2005!

I am now in the position of trying to decide on which products to buy and with all the good advice available on this site it is turning into a bit of a nightmare as there are obvioulsy loads of excellent products out there, each receiving rave reviews on the site, and eventually it will come down to personal choice and a bit of a gamble!

Take the plunge and order a PC and then like me try and convince a friend with a bit of an old banger to let you have a go with the PC on their car first!

Good luck!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, I think I may be able to convince my dad to let me try his car out with the PC first. For my car, I think I`ll do it the first time by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saint1
    Hi,

I was in your position a couple of weeks ago when I found this site.

I have just received my delivery of a PC7424 complete with pads etc, along with cloths etc that I ordered at the same time from Autopia.

What service!

Ordered on 18th November and received in the UK 23rd November 2005!

I am now in the position of trying to decide on which products to buy and with all the good advice available on this site it is turning into a bit of a nightmare as there are obvioulsy loads of excellent products out there, each receiving rave reviews on the site, and eventually it will come down to personal choice and a bit of a gamble!

Take the plunge and order a PC and then like me try and convince a friend with a bit of an old banger to let you have a go with the PC on their car first!

Good luck!

Pete

Hi there. Welcome to the site.

The man above has spoken very knowledgeble words. Everyone has their own personal favorite If you are really serious about the care that your vehicle will recieve a PC is absolutely necessary. I say this because of the labor that it will save. Corrections can be done by hand but I submit to you that I was not able to do any corrections. Most likely I instilled more swirls than I took out before the PC.

Read the reviews. Check out the click and brag. See what others are using. I could suggest some but you need to decide what you want and how much you want to spend to get it done. I know that I have spent to much. But I have never been happier trying to get the perfect shine.

I have the PC and a whole host of pads. I also have a rotary with a bunch more pads. I also have three complete lines of products that all do the job. I am looking into many other products. Just pick a product. Use them to get the results that they provide. After a while you will find something that is to your liking.

I think that all the sponsors of this site have something to offer. The bottom line is no matter what product line you choose the preparation of the paint on your car is what insures the final look.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve followed this site for about a year and spend most of my time lurking and reading all of the great advice and reviews. I started out simple with just a few products I could use by hand. It quickly escalated to a couple of shelves of products (one in the garage and one inside...got to control the temperature for certain babies), a couple of large containers of microfibers, PC pads and a PC. I`m not done yet! I`ve been eyeing a foam gun and maybe some halogen lamps to make inspection easier.

The PC is pretty much idiot proof. Your are more likely to have problems because you didn`t operate at a high enough RPM or you didn`t work the area long enough than you are to have burn in (think sitting down for a spot of tea and leaving the iron face down on a shirt). My first time I felt a slight haze was left, the last time I think I got it down just right. Now all I need is a more agressive pad to take out some deeper scratches.

A couple of thoughts. Buying all of the products necessary for detailing a car can quickly escalate the cost of your new habit. If you buy a PC, pads, microfibers (need to avoid scratches), polishes, sealants, waxes, etc. to do a proper job, you will quickly spend 200-300 dollars (US). While a PC does make it easier to properly work a product, you are still looking at 6+ hours to wash and clay, dry, tape, polish (1 to 2 levels of polishing), seal and wax. Some steps may vary but plan on spending a good day`s worth of work on the process.

Based on the prices listed by professionals on this site, I think you could have a decent exterior detailing done for $100-150. You could probably get two professional details out of the initial cost to buy the equipment yourself and the time it would take from your schedule. This would let you focus on the maintenance washings - sheepskin mitt, waffleweave microfibers, and quick detailing sprays...maybe even some nice wax you could apply occasionally.

It`s a tough call. I jumped in with both feet and could not be happier. It was nice to have a PC and some polish on hand when a bit of tire jumped up off the highway and left several scuff marks on my white car. However, there are some deeper scratches that were on the car when I bought it that I haven`t been able to remove and I think a professional would have the tools (rotary, stronger polishes, etc) to get those out.

Whatever your decision, enjoy it. I spent 5pm to 2 am last night in the garage gussying up my baby. Now I have to wait 24 hrs to put on a second layer of sealant. Maybe Sunday I can get a first layer of wax down....ah the addiction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent advice thanks to all!

One more question, what kind of tape do you use to tape off your cars?

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 3M "quality" blue painter`s tape.. Dont skimp with the cheap stuff.

And yes...Get the PC !!! You will love it.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the PC will have to wait until after Christmas. I spent so far ~150 on products alone. I actually think this will work out better, I can use the products and understand how they work first, and then move on to the next step.

Blue tape eh? I actually work @ Home Depot in the Paint department. There are a couple tapes that are a little less adhesive than the blue, would they work better? Or is the blue just good all around?

And can a nice wet looking shine be achieved by hand? I understand if it can, that it will take significantly longer, but the work doesn`t bother me.

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wet look by hand ? No problem !! Its the defect removal that is a pain by hand. Get a good glaze too :xyxthumbs
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    There has been excellent advise given but remember that most, say 90% or more of your shine will come from the prep work. Some of the polishes out there are made to be used with a PC which will break the polish down and provide the heat inorder for the polish to work. The wax is mainly there for protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the blue painters tape the first time. I had a problem with the adhesive not coming off with the tape at the top of my windshield. I worked this area the most vigorously trying to get scratches left from a sunroof wind deflector removed. After asking around, the advice I received was to search out the 3M Green #233+ automotive tape. I assume it will not break down like the painters tape. Some of the descriptions indicate it is stickier so you can adhere it to rubber. Intuition makes me think more adhesive thus more problems but I`m trying it now.

I pulled a small amount of earlier today and it came off no problem. The question will be if it comes off the moonroof without leaving a residue. Once again this is the area I worked the hardest. I will let you know the outcome after I apply my second coat of EX-P.

By the way, it is definitely more difficult to find. I also saw the same color of 3m tape at a paint store but it didn`t have the same product number or description on it. I found it in 2 widths at Walmart in the automotive paint section under lock and key. Other suggestions were local automotive repair shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, Sarcazmo, so nice of you to join us here :welcome

I`m with the rest of the people here in the sense that I also think that you should pick up a PC. If you have a lowe`s nearby, you can pick up a PC model 7336SP for $109. This is the same thing as the 7424 your always hearing about except that it has a 6" counterweight vs a 5" counterweight. It really brings out the true effectiveness of polishes and in my mind makes applying sealant and wax products much easier.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Autopia has a holiday 20% discount at the moment. I just ordered the SFX Polisher Kit. $172.00 shipped! Great buy!! (IMO)

Post Thanks / Like
    172.... Man you guys want me to spend more money don`t you! I`m looking @ the site but it`s showing up normal price for me.

Well, here`s another question for you. As far as PCs go, I was under the impression some things, (like polishes etc) are easy to apply with and remove with a PC, while other things (for example AIO) are better to apply by hand, and then buff out with the PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sarcazmo:

If you apply the discount code "SAVEBIG", you`ll get the 20% discount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information