Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Good or bad idea? I know it is THE polisher to have for all you professionals out there, but will a beginner cause more harm than good with one of these? I was looking at buying a cheap Craftsman oribtal, but it may be a waste if I end up getting the PC eventually anyway.

Also, can someone give me a list of the color of the pads, and what they`re used for? I see a lot of talk on here about them, but nobody ever really breaks them down and how to use them. Any other tips for the PC would be great.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think PC are safe and easy enough for anyone to use. For the agressiveness of each pad color, I think it varies from what company you get them from.

For example: From most agressive to least agressive. (Medium cutting to finishing)

Lake County

Yellow

Oranage

Green

White

Black

Blue

Propel

Orange

Yellow

Green

Blue

Grey

-Dacali

Post Thanks / Like
    So the blue and grey, respectively, are the least agressive? What levels are generally used for paint that is in good condition? I have a white 02 explorer with some very minor spiderwebbing I assume from the previous owner waxing with terry cloth towels. What pad should I start with (from either brand). Also, what speeds are recommended for this type of polishing?

Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t waste your time or money on any Craftsman buffer. They are pathetic, and completely underpowered. The PC is not too aggressive for a beginner. I have the Propel pads, and I would recommend them. As to what pad to start with it just depends on your paint condition. I think that the polish makes more difference than the pad. I used the yellow in conjunction with SSR 2 on my `95 GMC, and it worked well removing swirling.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be on the safe side, I start in the middle and get more agressive as needed. It also depends on what polish you`re using too.

I`d start a step or two up from the least agressive and work my to the more agressive pads. I pretty much do the same for speed (starting around 4).

-Dacali

Post Thanks / Like
    I was recommended the Optimum Polish from a member on here, followed by their spray on wax. What speed/pad would I want with that polish? These scratches are very light.

Thanks guys, this forum rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use speed 5-6 whenever you`re polishing with the PC. Otherwise it takes forever to break down the polishes. To reduce the possibility of sling, you can spread the product out on low speed over the area to be worked. Then crank it up to speed 6 and polish it out.

For very light scratches, you should be able to get by with a green Propel pad. I also have the whole line of Propels, and I definitely recommend them. http://www.exceldetail.com
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Very minor spiderwebbing means different things to differnt people.

The rotary is the machine that people should respect, a PC is pretty gentle, and i have cursed it for being to gentle.

I dont like to use OCP and the green pad, the polish is too heavy, the pad is too soft. Thats just me though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a little bit paranoid when i first got my pc and used it for the first time. But after the first use, ive never looked back. Its saved me loads of time and actually makes polishing effective. Don`t be afraid of the PC, your really going to have to try to hurt your paint to actually cause damage. It will be the best 110 dollars youve ever spent on car care.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. Is there a difference in the two that are generally recommended? I see there are two popular PC polishers, but I don`t really see a diff in the two. Both have 6 speeds. Whats the diff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only difference is the size of the backing plate (the thing with the velcro on it) and the counterweight, which matches to the size of the plate. There are 5" plates/weights and 6" plates/weights. These are easily changed and I recommend the 6" weight no matter what size backing plate you use anyhow.

If you get the one with the 5", the pn for the 6" counterweight is 699933.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the 7336 is the one that comes with the 6" counterweight, so I`d get that one. You can buy them locally at Lowe`s. I have never used my 5" counterweight, even when I use my 2.75" backing plate and 4" pads.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    i just got my PC the other day, lookign forward for my pads to come in.

im sorry to crash your thread, but i was wondering what TAPE do you people use to cover trims that you dont want to go over with a PC? i was unsure of what kind of tape i should buy.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the green 3M tape. It`s usually available at paint stores or I think Carquest sometimes carries it.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue or green 3M; don`t buy the generic stuff, it`s not the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information