Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Meguiar`s G100 PC, which comes with the 5" counterweight. After reading..I decided to buy a 6" counterweight for it...a long time ago (from CMA, I think). Tonight I finally got around to changing it, and I see that the OE 5" weight, has a little radial groove that accepts a little rubber doohickey (seems to be a vibration dampener of some sort). The new weight is flat on the back...are they supposed to be different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    .. I see that the OE 5" weight, has a little radial groove that accepts a little rubber doohickey (seems to be a vibration dampener of some sort). The new weight is flat on the back...are they supposed to be different?

It`s been so long since I used the 5" weight I had to go out to the shop and take a look at it. Mine also has the cutout, but if it ever had the rubber piece I must`ve lost it ages ago. At any rate, nothing weird, just stick the 6" weight on and forget about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for checking that for me, Accumulator. The rubber doohickey is actually on the PC side, and I looked at a parts breakdown that refers to it as a "rubber plug", and then I realized that the rubber tang on it that fits into the slot on the 5" counterweight had been created on the end of the plug from the counterweight being mashed onto there. As I mentioned earlier, it seems to be some sort of vibration dampener, but I can`t figure why one weight has a slot and not the other...maybe the slot has a purpose on another piece of Porter Cable equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a wild guess, but maybe it`s also a means of further reducing the weight of the counterweight :nixweiss

The 5" weight works fine without the rubber, or at least I never noticed any problem. But then I never noticed that I lost the rubber piece, assuming I ever had one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I havent had my pc for very long and have only used it once . I seen a few people say on the boards to turn it up to 6 , when I turn mine upto 6 the vibration is crazy . I can`t imagine running it at that speed for long . Is the stock counter weigh that comes with the pc the right size for lc 6.5 pads ?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends which model you have, the 7224 has the 5", the 7336 has the 6".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhedd
    I havent had my pc for very long and have only used it once . I seen a few people say on the boards to turn it up to 6 , when I turn mine upto 6 the vibration is crazy . I can`t imagine running it at that speed for long . Is the stock counter weigh that comes with the pc the right size for lc 6.5 pads ?

Actually to me, the PC feels the smoothest at 6.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    It depends which model you have, the 7224 has the 5", the 7336 has the 6".
    I do have the 7424 . So does this mean I need to purchase the 6" counter wieght ? Because at 6 it seems to vibrate excessivley .

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno if changing the counterweight will have the dramatic result you`d probably like, but IMO it sure won`t make things worse. Note that personal perception pays a huge role here, with ScottWax finding the PC smooth at 6 and others finding it very unpleasant at that speed.

But anyhow, yeah, try the weight, it`s only a few bucks IIRC. The PC part number for the 6" counterweight is 699933 or at least it was back when I ordered mine.

No matter which weight you use (and I use the 6" weight for everything), the foam pads we use for detailing all weigh a *lot* more than the single sheet of sandpaper the weight was orginally designed to counterbalance. So it`s always gonna be a compromise. Gotta remember that all these PCs were really designed to be used as sanders and that`s what the counterweights are based on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Setec, you bought the G100? Doesn`t that cost a lot more than just buying one from another place that doesn`t put their own name on it?

Rhedd - Porter Cable recommends the 6" counterweight for use with any pads 6" and larger, IIRC. I bought both counterweights right away when I bought my PC, and I have yet to use my 5" one.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 7424. So if I were to buy a 3.5 inch backing plate and a set of 4 inch pads,

would the counter weight need to be changed, or does it work ok as is ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my 6" counterweight always, even with my 2.75" backing plate and 4" Propel Turbo pads.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, 6" weight with everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    i also have the g100 and i think they come with the 6inch counter weight .....i also inquired about this but based on the response you wont feel a difference waste of $$..but thats just my opinion...
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    Maxy....I bought a G100 when I was young, dumb, and...didn`t know any better. It was before I found Autopia. The worst part of the G100 was that god-awful Meg`s backing plate that melted on me.

Thread Information