Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orange Peel

Post Thanks / Like
    Customer want to remove orange peel on his 2006 Corvette. By doing a search from Autopia database, I realize OP could be remove by either repaint or serious wetsanding. However, could compound with aggressive pad on rotary buffer could work on this sitution?

Compound (PG) with LC yellow or orange pad on rotary buffer (may redo again)

Optimum Polish with black sheepskin pad on rotary buffer

Optimum Polish with green pad on rotary buffer

Optimum Polish with white pad on Cyclo

Would the above steps enough to at least improve the OP or even close to perfect??????

Post Thanks / Like
    In my limited experience with OP/wetsanding - heavy compounding will not remove OP. I did some pretty serious compounding on my car and didn`t notice any significant reduction in OP until I wetsanded. I will say this - when I finally got some 3k grit the wetsanding was pretty easy. Definitely took less time to wetsand/polish the marring away then it would to do 4-5 passes with a rotary/cyclo. You are probably better off doing half that compounding after wetsanding with some 3k grit. Someone else may chime in with a better idea, but in every instance I`ve seen here on Autopia (or done personally) the only way to remove OP aside from a repaint is with sanding.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    IN my experience the only way to remove OP is to wetsand. If your not really experienced with wetsanding I would leave it to someone else. You don`t want to remove to much paint, you could either burn right through the paint or take enough off that it will look good right now but done the road the paint will fail because there isn`t enough clearcoat left to protect it from the UV rays. I`m not trying to scare you away from dong this I just don`t know how much experience you have with wetsanding and buffing.

If you have any more Q`s let me know.

Chubs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by opass
    Customer want to remove orange peel on his 2006 Corvette. By doing a search from Autopia database, I realize OP could be remove by either repaint or serious wetsanding. However, could compound with aggressive pad on rotary buffer could work on this sitution?

Compound (PG) with LC yellow or orange pad on rotary buffer (may redo again)

Optimum Polish with black sheepskin pad on rotary buffer

Optimum Polish with green pad on rotary buffer

Optimum Polish with white pad on Cyclo

Would the above steps BE enough to at least improve the OP or even close to perfect??????
    absolutley not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see. Thanks for the info.

BTW......How long does it take to wetsanding the whole 06 convette? and usually how much do you guys charge for this type of service? I remember removeing OP is a expensive service.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t help you with how much to charge, but I can tell you that when I wetsanded my trunk, rear bumper, and front fenders, it took about 4 hours to sand and polish. I am sure I could have done it faster, but I was very methodical - I didn`t want to screw anything up. Only other advice I can give is that using a really high grit paper makes removing the marring much easier. You have a rotary and you`re good with it, so you`ll likely be fine with 1500+, but I`d still recommend 2500-3000 if you can find it. It works just as well as the coarser stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    many depending factors here.......but......$300-$1000+.........1-3 days

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    You have a rotary and you`re good with it, so you`ll likely be fine with 1500+, but I`d still recommend 2500-3000 if you can find it. It works just as well as the coarser stuff.

:clap: Thanks for the positive feedback.

psl-wash........... I see but cannot digest it.

However, is there any link to guide me how to do wetsanding in detail? I want to learn and then try it on my 15 yrs old car.

I have Meguiar`s video tape that mention about wetsanding for about 5 minutes. Is it enough info for rookie like me?

Post Thanks / Like
    No offence, but i would tell your customer to take his brand new baby to someone else, and then return to you when he needs a detail. He`ll appreciate your honesty. A FULL wetsand should be handled by someone with (a) experience, and (b) the proper paint thickness gauges to ensure you dont go through the clear coat.

http://www.superiorshine.com/ This guy is in San Gabriel Valley which may or may not be close to you? I dunno, but honestly, u should not even consider doing this car. If i knew that my detailer had no experience I would be very pissed.

Dont take it the wrong way, but pass on this job. U wouldn`t want to f-it up, which is very possible as a beginner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with 99ITR. If you don`t have experience with something, the last thing you want to do is *learn* on a brand new Vette.

If I were the owner of the Corvette, I would like to know that you have zero experience with wetsanding, and I would not want you to make your first attempt on my brand new car. It doesn`t have to be an insult...I just wouldn`t want anything bad to happen to my car, and I wouldn`t want to deal with the dilemma of "what happens now?" when something goes wrong. It would be a major inconvenience for both of you to have the car repainted because you sanded through the clearcoat.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    heres a qoute (from me) from another wetsanding question.......

well you do have to be an experienced wet sander to do this type of job.....i wouldnt start wet sanding something unless youve had many hours of practice doing this......and there is no reason at all why you should be hitting the "metal"!!! to get to the metal you have to go threw the clear than threw the paint than threw the primer so if u hit metal than you dont have to many hours under your belt.......this is not something i recommend to the average person to do.........normally itll take me anywheres from one to two FULL days to do a complete sand down job.

my advice to u is if you want to have the op (orange peel) removed than find a detailer or a custom painter to do this task if you want it done right.

and yes it will be ok to sand the intire vehicle and stay safe.

goodluck.

oh and a good way to "test" your op is to hold say a bottle of anything beside your car about 2 feet away and try to read the label on the bottle.....cant read it? bad op

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the OP just as bady on the Caddy`s, or just a "chevy" problem?

I was looking at pickups, and almost puked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 99ITR_SC
    No offence, but i would tell your customer to take his brand new baby to someone else, and then return to you when he needs a detail. He`ll appreciate your honesty. A FULL wetsand should be handled by someone with (a) experience, and (b) the proper paint thickness gauges to ensure you dont go through the clear coat.

http://www.superiorshine.com/ This guy is in San Gabriel Valley which may or may not be close to you? I dunno, but honestly, u should not even consider doing this car. If i knew that my detailer had no experience I would be very pissed.

Dont take it the wrong way, but pass on this job. U wouldn`t want to f-it up, which is very possible as a beginner.

Guys....relax. What a respond.

Right from the beginning, I already dump the idea of doing this project by myself. Sorry for not being clear about this. Sometimes my writing does not really express my thought. :nervous:

BTW....My older car is perfect pratice ground for wet sanding. Any good link to learn from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBM
    Is the OP just as bady on the Caddy`s, or just a "chevy" problem?

I was looking at pickups, and almost puked.

this is a problem with 95% of every new vehicle. :angry

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, OP seems to be getting worse too - like it`s just more acceptable out of the factory now. My car was a joke when I got it (OP wise), and even after wetsanding the hood, trunks, both bumpers, and front fenders, there is still some OP.

I will say this - I probably wouldn`t start on a clients car, however, wetsanding isn`t that difficult if you use the right products and take your time. I guess there is a high risk of screwing up, but as long as you`re very thorough I think you would be alright. That said, it`s a good idea to practice first, and an even better idea to have someone who has experience help you out until you get the hang of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information