Post Thanks / Like
    I just got my PC from Amazon! I was thinking of practicing with it on the family minivan. I`m not terribly concerned about screwing up, since anything would be an improvement over it`s current status! I need to practice before I go after my Passat!

Anyway, the van has a few small rust spots. (Dime sized and smaller) We`ll probably be getting rid of it within the year and I have no intention of fixing them, but just wondered if there would be a problem with using the PC over these spots. I suppose I could always polish around them if need be.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Work around them. If you pick up a rust flake on the pad, you`ll make all kinds of scratches.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had some decent luck with buying a cheap rust-to-primer converter. You probably can pick up a small bottle of it at the nearest Wal-Mart on the bottom shelf near the spray paints in the automotive department. It will allow you to simply wipe on the liquid over a lightly sanded rust spot and within minutes it turns to sandable primer. You indicated the van would be getting replaced in the future, so this will help delay the spread of the cancer until then. Not the best way to fix it, but it will at least save your washing mitt/sponge/etc as well as your towels should you wash and dry the vehicle.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, hit them with some very fine sandpaper (2-3K grit) or one of those fiberglass rust-removing "pencils", without touching the surrounding paint (mask around the spots if necessary. Try for "something better" rather than trying to remove all the rust. Then apply the rust converter. The stuff works surprisingly well. I use "Rust Avenger" brand.

Thread Information