Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

I have been using a PC for about a year and am thinking about stepping up my detailing game/abilities with the addition of a rotary. I have been searching here and everyone seems to mention Dewalt, PC 7428, Makita 9227C, and to some extent the Hitachi.

What I havent seen is much in the way of generic rotaries...

What would make this a bad purchase for someone who AT MOST would use this once a week but more likely 1 time every 2 weeks??

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-HD-POLISHER-BU...QQcmdZViewItem

The other rotary I am looking at is the hitachi as its only $119...and then I would need another $80 or so in pads:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HITACHI-7-Variab...QQcmdZViewItem

Obviously the Hitachi is going to be a better unit...but how much better??

Thanks in advance.

-Richard

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some notable good "non-brand" rotaries are the Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight. I know one senior member said he didn`t really see a difference between his expensive name brand and Chicago one. Maybe if your a full time detailer, you`d opt for the name brand, but for us weekend warriors i`m sure a Chicago Electric or other off brand rotary would work.

btw I have a slight used Chicago Eletctric rotary/pads/backing plate for sale, let me know if your interested..i`ll hook you up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the Hitatchi from the same guys on Ebay. Great machine with great cust service. I just called them up gave my CC# and had it in 2 days. I have only used it twice but it is very solid well balanced and not too heavy. I could not bog it down using 8 inch LC pads I got from Pakshak. One point I wish I would have gotten smaller pads, but I wanted to just get a pad that would fit the stock backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDaJackal
    btw I have a slight used Chicago Eletctric rotary/pads/backing plate for sale, let me know if your interested..i`ll hook you up.
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I dont really need it...let me know what you would be looking to get for it via PM. :nixweiss

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of the Hitachi rotary polishers and like it a lot.

A little background first. I have been using my bought new Black & Decker 6138(predecessor to the Dewalt 849) since about May of 1996 and it has been flawless. I bought it with NO research and didn`t know what else was available. It has been a great machine over the years BUT I have always felt that I could do better work and feel better after doing it if the machine was a little lighter in weight. I used a Makita 9227 on one occasion and liked the way it felt, how quiet it was, the weight and most of all, the bail handle! If you`re familiar with the 9227 at all the Hitachi will remind you of it in most every way. The price of the Hitachi vs. the Makita and the warranty offered made it easy for me to pull the trigger(no pun intended, really!)

I`d look at the purchase of the Hitachi like this. Even though you wont use it very often, when you do use it if you discover a problem with it, it`s covered for 5 years. It has every feature that the others have and some that they don`t(slow startup is absent on the Dewalt). Make your choice and I hope that whatever one you make, you`re happy with.
    Triple Honda Owner

Thread Information