Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I`m considering purchasing a PC and trying the carnuba route on my 98 Mustang. I have some minor to medium swirls and I`ve been using Zaino to mask them, but I think it`s time to step it up a notch after studying autopia, and get rid of them rather than hide them. My question is, many of the "old school" guys and even concours enthusiasts will claim they can do anything by hand that a machine can do, just takes more time. Do you guys feel a PC is a worth while investment for the weekend warrior, or should I save the 150 bucks and spend it on products instead? I hear so much about the results you can achieve with a PC and wonder if maybe there is somethings a machine can do that "hand app." can not. Thanks for the help guys, and any tips on polishes/glazes you guys have had success with would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is a PC worth the money - yes. Once the paint is fully prep`ed the Zaino will look even better

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally worth every penny. From swirl removing to LSP application and even cleaning carpet with the correct attachment, I say get one !!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a PC is worth it.

I tried removing the swirls on my car by hand, but gave up after making almost no progress. The PC made the job easy.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had my lighter coloured cars I could get by with out a PC and still win Concours events, now I have a black car I couldnt live without it. Now I have one, I wonder why I didnt get one sooner. With all the cars I have done already its paid for itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in the minority I guess, but I don`t think a PC is necessary. In my experience, if you put the right amount of effort, time and meticulousness into it, you can get basically the same results. It`s also much cheaper and simpler. You might be able to "step up" the overall look "a hair", but the results I get with my polisher don`t seem significantly better than what I get by hand application.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a weekend warrior myself and only detail my own cars. I definately think the PC is worth every penny too. Prep is evrything and the PC lets me polish properly and eliminate defects instead of spending time and money repeatedly to "hide" them. I can`t imagine the work involved to polish by hand. I would never polish correctly if I had to do it by hand. Also, the PC is quite useful around the house. I polish and seal bathroom fixtures, cabinets, applicances etc. It makes detailing simpler and the results more impressive. Since detailing is my rather addictive hobby, I find the PC a very good investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies guys, I don`t feel so ridiculous spendng money on countless detailing products after reading posts on this site! This is definitely an addicting hobby! I guess I`ll go ahead and order a PC from autogeek? Anything else I should order along with it? polishes/glaze,pads, accessories, etc. thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    any suggestions for a good polish/glaze w/the PC and sonus pads? Seems like meguiars is the favorite 80/81/83, how does VM work? Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both the sonus SFX and DAS pads.

I have used

Megs #80

Megs #82

Clearkote VM

Clearkote RMG

AG SRP

Megs NXT

And all have worked a treat. The poorboys line will also work well.

I have still been applying most off my sealants and waxes by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think everyone should have a PC in the garage even if you don`t use it for every car. The products mentioned above are good Megs / Clearkoat / Poor B/ Zanio etc. I too like to wax by hand and maybe go over it with a finishing pad.
    Wax on Wax off....

Thread Information