Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At wits end!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my 4" spot pads(yellow and white) and was tring to get some of the water spots/swirls out of my hood. I did notice that the hood was warm from where I had drove it down the road but decided to go ahead with it. I had a hard time removing the ssr2.5 once I worked it in. I used figure 8 pattern and side to side up and down. When I went to remove it, it would not come off. I misted some nxt QD on it and it came off? I figured it was from teh hot hood so I did it on my trunk lid that was cool and same results. I only did hald the hood to see if there was a improvent and there was but slightly. I dont know what to do now. I thought for sure stepping from a orange pad to a yellow would be abrasive enought. :nervous2: Do I have something in my arsonal thats better. I have some

DACP

s100 paint cleanser

VM

FP

IMP

NXT

Any suggestions?
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

01 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Post Thanks / Like
    What machine are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the pc with smaller weight.
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    ttt need some answers
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    *** cant someone help me out?
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never used any Poorboys products (but in reading here I understand it`s one of the most "go to" polishes used.

I also think that PB`s products are suppose to be "sun" friendly so heat shouldn`t bother them that much.

What are you asking help on, the product being hard to remove or removing the water spots/swirls?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe try some SSR3 with a polsihing pad. Then move down to SSR2.5 on a cutting pad. Should be good then.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MorBid
    I`ve never used any Poorboys products (but in reading here I understand it`s one of the most "go to" polishes used.

I also think that PB`s products are suppose to be "sun" friendly so heat shouldn`t bother them that much.

What are you asking help on, the product being hard to remove or removing the water spots/swirls?

I am afraid I will not be able to remove the water spots. If I took a picture of them would it help? But the ssr2.5 didn;t even make a dent it them. Is ssr3 that much stronger? I dont want to have to buy a entire bottle because I will never use it all.
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you try using some Vinegar to get them off? How long have they been on the panels?

If they have been on for awhile or are really stubborn you may not have any choice but to step up another level in polish to get some more cutting. That and or use a rotary.

PS

Pic`s always help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MorBid
    Did you try using some Vinegar to get them off? How long have they been on the panels?

If they have been on for awhile or are really stubborn you may not have any choice but to step up another level in polish to get some more cutting. That and or use a rotary.

PS

Pic`s always help

I HAVE NOT TRIED VINEGAR, but if it works I will send you some cash. They are only on the hood top of the car and the trunk. Can the rotary do that much more than the pc? Would my LC pads work with it. They are 6".
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    My Merc has some water spots on the plastic bumper because it was not washed for about a month, with lots of rainstorms during that period. I used a 4" pad and Menzerna IP several times, and it did not do anything for the spots.

I concluded that the water spots had badly etched the surface, but I`m not positive. You may not be able to remove them if they have etched deep enough. I will probably also try the vinegar if there are still mineral deposits left.

- J

Post Thanks / Like
    just regular vinegar? I am assuming that it will need to re polish after.
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Black1.8t
    I HAVE NOT TRIED VINEGAR, but if it works I will send you some cash. They are only on the hood top of the car and the trunk. Can the rotary do that much more than the pc? Would my LC pads work with it. They are 6".

No need for the cash bro, it`s all good :xyxthumbs , we`re here to help each other out. Visit http://www.autopia-carcare.com/horeswmawasp.html for a how-to

Yes a rotary can use 6" LC pads and it`ll do way more than a PC because of the high speed at which it can operate. But having said that "speed kills" so you need to keep your wits about you when using one.

As JustinTRW said, water spots are almost always caused by some type of mineral or acid deposits in the water.

If they`re baked on pretty good you`ll most likely need a heavy cut compound and a rotary with a wool pad to level the craters out.

Someone else may chime in with some results with a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on whether the spots are *on* or *in* the paint.

IF the spots are something (presumably mineral-based) that`s *on* the surface of the paint, you could always try a decontamination system such as AutoInt`s ABC or the one from FinishKare. I`d also clay while the acidic step is dwelling. Here you`re cleaning contamination off the paint.

If the spots are etched *into* the paint, making "pits" or "depressions" in the surface of the paint, then the only solution is aggressive compounding with a rotary. Here you`re taking off paint until it`s all level with the bottom of the etching. Gotta be careful because some etching is deeper than you want to go when taking off paint. Better to have some "spots" than to have massive clearcoat failure and have to repaint the panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    can you tell of they are on the surface or into the paint? These are smooth to the touch and the car is only 2 years old. Its only on the 3 areas. I am sure if ssr 2.5 will not take them out then they are into the paint. Can they be taken out by a professional? is there any way to hide or make them look better?
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information