Post Thanks / Like
    Hi folks,

I need your opinion on this Craftsman cordless random orbital buffer/polisher/waxer which is on sale at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00910724000

Some of the specs/data for this buffer are:

Price: $40 (can be $30 with a $10 off coupon)

Voltage: 12V

Speed: 3000 RPM

Random orbits/minute: 2600

Pad type: Chemical-resistant, 3-layer-foam, 7" diameter

Weight: 4.72 lbs

Only one speed , there is no speed control, just a on/off switch

Battery time: Specs say the battery will last 40 mins

Additional power source: Can be run on 12V car battery by using the 12V output in the car

The reason I am buying a cordless buffer is because that is the only type I can use. I live in a high rise building and no access to garage or a place where I can use a corded rotary buffer. So the higher end PC7424 or similar buffers are ruled out.

How good or bad do you think this Craftsman buffer would be? My expectation is to use it once every 2 months for polishing, waxing. It may not be very good at removing swirls, but thats the compromise I am willing to make.

Is a 7" buffer slightly bigger to use compared to 6"? Can this buffer cause any major damage to the paint? Since the speed is constant at 2600rpm, is this a good speed to use a buffer?

Per the specs, the battery last for 40 mins per charge. However, it can also run on the 12V power supply from the car.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

MB

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This piece of equipment is very limited .. but id you have no choice in the matter, I suppose it would be quicker than detailing by hand:nixweiss . I would seriously search for a place in your area where you can "plug in" and get the PC.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mb12345

Hi folks,

I need your opinion on this Craftsman cordless random orbital buffer/polisher/waxer which is on sale at Sears:

Some of the specs/data for this buffer are:

Price: $40 (can be $30 with a $10 off coupon)

Voltage: 12V

Speed: 3000 RPM

Random orbits/minute: 2600

Pad type: Chemical-resistant, 3-layer-foam, 7" diameter

Weight: 4.72 lbs

Only one speed , there is no speed control, just a on/off switch

Battery time: Specs say the battery will last 40 mins

Additional power source: Can be run on 12V car battery by using the 12V output in the car

The reason I am buying a cordless buffer is because that is the only type I can use. I live in a high rise building and no access to garage or a place where I can use a corded rotary buffer. So the higher end PC7424 or similar buffers are ruled out.

How good or bad do you think this Craftsman buffer would be? My expectation is to use it once every 2 months for polishing, waxing. It may not be very good at removing swirls, but thats the compromise I am willing to make.

Is a 7" buffer slightly bigger to use compared to 6"? Can this buffer cause any major damage to the paint? Since the speed is constant at 2600rpm, is this a good speed to use a buffer?

Per the specs, the battery last for 40 mins per charge. However, it can also run on the 12V power supply from the car.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

MB

The speed won`t run anywhere near 2600 OPM. Once those type of "polishers" hit the paint, the slow down A LOT!

At best, it willl make waxing slightly easier.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah. Those speeds aren`t good for polishing in general. For me, I`d probably use it for applying wax/sealant and removing/buffing with bonnets but that`s about it.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    04 ACURA TL SSM/Ebony/Navi
    PICS!! http://homepage.mac.com/maecrispy/PhotoAlbum7.html

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you don`t expect it to remove any defects a cordless can at least save your arms when applying waxes, sealants and glazes.

The problem with the Craftsman (and most cheap buffers) is the fixed pad. You`re stuck using bonnets for everything. The bonnets that come with them are usually junk so you have to hunt for good ones. If it`s not a size that`s common to "the good stuff" they`re hard to find.

Since you need cordless I`d recommend a Meguiar`s G-104 or Wen used with Meg`s, Sonus or Lake Country pads.

Who knows, maybe a cordless with a 4" pad could do a little restoration of very fine marring.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by the other pc

The problem with the Craftsman (and most cheap buffers) is the fixed pad. You`re stuck using bonnets for everything. The bonnets that come with them are usually junk so you have to hunt for good ones. If it`s not a size that`s common to "the good stuff" they`re hard to find.

PC.

That`s true. This craftsman buffer has a fixed pad and it came with 3 junk bonnets. How hard or easy is it to buy good quality 7" bonnets in local stores like walmart, autozone, traget, etc. ?? Does anyone have experience with using bonnets? How do they compare to using pads?

Thanks again !

Post Thanks / Like
    It used to be impossible to find decent bonnets in typical retail environments. I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really looked lately but casual glances at bonnets hanging from retailersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ pegboard havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t suggested anything has changed.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve only seen good bonnets at detailing suppliers (mostly online) and almost none have odd sizes.

If you do elect to try Ă¢â‚¬Å“everything-by-bonnetsĂ¢â‚¬ be aware that most will soak through when applying wet products and carry over into the next step. YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll need some kind of barrier, either placed between or built into the bonnet.

If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re set on cordless I still really recommend MegĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s G-104. At $89.95 it may seem more expensive but it comes with a spare battery (the most expensive accessory for any cordless), a carrying case, a high quality pad and, most importantly, you can use it easily with anybodyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s high quality pads and bonnets, MegĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s, Sonus, LC, Propel, etc.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found these:

http://www.nealsharbor.com/Merchant2...roduct_code=W7

http://kamfor.en.alibaba.com/product...al_Buffer.html

http://shop.vendio.com/Brandsonsale/.../?s=1149847201

a different on amazon Meguiar`s G100 Dual Action Polisher:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181

a different one on Meguiars page

http://www.meguiars.com/?garage-accessories/Meguiar`s-Cordless-Orbital-Buffer

(which doesn`t tell much about it.)

and the craftman the original poster mentioned:

I just want it for waxing and buffing.

Do any of these look promising?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    A few people here have used the Nikota cordless orbital and really like it for applying wax. Do a Froogle.com search for it. It`s $24 shipped. The power output is less than the craftsman, but it is very light and easy to use.

Mine just came in the mail, but I haven`t had a chance to use it yet. Oh, it`s the same as the cordless Meguiar`s unit too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever thought of useing a power inverter and just run a PC off your car battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ exactly what i was going to say. or.. maybe... get really really really long orange heavy duty extension cords?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetbo
    Have you ever thought of useing a power inverter and just run a PC off your car battery?

The whole problem is the cord. I don`t like being tethered to anything.

(Not to mention the possibility of a shiny car with a dead battery.)

Post Thanks / Like
    well based on your requirements i would say meguiars has a cordless buffer that comes with two batteries lasting up to an one hour and half(ea battery)....i think this would work out for you..its small comes with a case two batteries(3hrs) polishing pad, only three pounds i believe....if i was in your shoes and had those requirement then i would choose this one over any of those 11 ore 10 orb...buy the way the material they have for the buffer like you mentioned is terrible at least to me and did hold up well, plus not to mention scratch paint especially darker colors and the results werent impressive, there is not much alot of aftermarket parts(cant find the word) they mainly have terry towels i stay away from that...good luck in your search...

by the way i almost forgot another brand that comes up is Wen here is another that may peak your interest 4in cordless lots of features plus you can use cyclo brand pads which will hold up better and later on if you move you can purchase at your option a cyclo and already have pads for it just a thought....

again i have not used either of this but i know who has used the meguiars cordless and he gave it the thumbs up in his application and it sounds like you have the same goal....

:spot
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the cordless has a good battery (high voltage and long run time), I don`t think it`ll have the juice to be on par w/ the corded DA polisher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant
    Unless the cordless has a good battery (high voltage and long run time), I don`t think it`ll have the juice to be on par w/ the corded DA polisher.

Totally understand and agree. But I`m just using it to was and buff. One of them comes with 2 batteries so I`m thinking that would be enough to do what I need. (I`m getting older and the shoulder is not what it used to be.... )

Thread Information