Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Would a Cyclo be a good device to own alongside a PC, or is a Cyclo more akin to a rotary polisher? Or would a Cyclo simply be equivalent to a PC ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

I can`t comment on the Cyclo but in all honesty I`ve yet to find a problem which the PC (and sometimes a little perseverance) can`t rectify.

I did buy a rotary, albeit a cheap one (£70) and TBH I made a complete mess first time out - luckily(or not...) on my own car, not a customer`s.

Practice might certainly make "perfect" but I`m really not convinced that I "need" another tool besides the PC right now - and the next cheapest rotary available here`s going to be £100+ easily - I can`t justify spending that amount right now.

Mind you, I`ve said that a few times before....
    The car detailing fanatic formerly known as AndyC

Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16, Vauxhall Vectra SRi CDTi, Renault Clio Dynamique 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    You speak of the "The Trinity".

Ideally, I highly recommend owning all three. You have the complete range to chose from depending of the paint condition you wish to correct.

Of course, the most skill required is with the rotary. Definitely practice quite a bit if haven`t used one before and then practice again after that. Stick to low speeds.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Andy you are correct do we really need more items to spend money on ! :soscared:

HAH HAH excellent Bill, yes the `trinity` .. but if you recommend all three then you know that there is a different job that the cyclo will do than the PC can do, can you expand ?

Post Thanks / Like
    In my particular case, I own two cars with hard paint. Using the PC can do the job but it takes an awfully long time and can be quite fatiguing.

I personally find using a rotary for any little case of micro marring, the stuff visible only under intense sunlight or synthetic lighting is impractical. I often can`t get the paint perfect the first time using the rotary alone, ( and I feel better because some of the best pros in the business even follow up with a Cyclo) so I use the Cyclo.

I can accomplish removing these kinds of paint defects with confidence using the Cyclo. There`s no substitute for taking my time and using the appropriate sequence of pads and polishes as needed, but I can rely on quality results every time with it.

I also admit to being very fond of well crafted, long lasting tools. I wouldn`t doubt a Cyclo could actually become a family heirloom

The PC is not useless in my arsenal. Granted it does take more time to get results, but it can get in spots where the Cyclo doesn`t fit. I use it almost exclusively with 4" pads now.

I also experienced Accumulator`s observation with the use of AIO: The Cyclo seems to break down this product too quickly so if I want to use AIO by machine I use it with the PC and a finishing pad.

I also plan to use the PC to buff Souveran with DF Towel bonnets.

If you are a pro or occasional for hire detailer, investing in all three machines will allow you to be equipped for just about any paint finish short of those needing wet sanding.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

You speak of the "The Trinity".

Ideally, I highly recommend owning all three. You have the complete range to chose from depending of the paint condition you wish to correct.

Of course, the most skill required is with the rotary. Definitely practice quite a bit if haven`t used one before and then practice again after that. Stick to low speeds.

Trinity owner.

IMO, if you are doing your own cars and do not plan on doing any major correction, the PC will be fine.

The cyclo does not bog down as easily and is *probably* a more durable machine, but if your cars are in new or like new condition, the pc should be able to handle all of your needs.

IMO, the cyclo bridges the gap between the PC and the rotary. It does more work than the PC, but will never accomplish the results of the rotary.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    ebpcivicsi- Heh heh, no "probably" about it when it comes to the durability. My Cyclos have held up incredibly well, the older one never missed a beat in 20 years, including some in an abusive commerical environment. The PCs have needed rebuilds in a fraction of the time. Note that the PCs have *never* been used in a commercial setting either. No contest as to build quality and durability.

Axe-Sometimes the Cyclo is all the "extra power" that is needed (especially with the new pads that`ll soon be released). When you need a rotary, you need a rotary. But you won`t need it *as often* if you have a Cyclo. The only time I seem to get out the rotary is for serious marring on the Audis` hard clear. Otherwise, I almost *always* reach for the Cyclo. I even use it to apply paste waxes like #16 and Collinite. I just love the thing, but then, like Bill D, I just love high quality tools.

Only times I reach for the PC are when using AIO (or otherwise needing the variable speed, which isn`t often) or when I need to get into an area I can`t reach with the Cyclo. Otherwise, it`s Cyclo all the way.

There will always be personal preferences, but as best I can tell *most* people who have eaual experience with both like the Cyclo better than the PC. Not *all*, but most. Among the family and friends I`ve introduced to both machines, all but one preferred the Cyclo (including both the youngest- 14 at the time, and the oldest- a quite elderly gent, my late father).

If you do a lot of serious correction on a lot of different cars, you might be better off buying the rotary next. But I agree with Bill D- the best approach is to have all three machines.

I believe Intermezzo (check the a-bay and see for sure) is selling his Cyclo due to a decreased interest in detailing. You might want to look into that before he comes to his senses and decides to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a great response Accumulator and eb, thanks for sharing your experience. Accumulator, you are telling me that the Cyclo is fixed speed then, how fast does it oscillate, I assume it is random?

I have emailed Intermzzo, thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Axe- The Cyclo is, IIRC (this is from memory ) supposed to be around 3k orbits-per-minute, acutally varying from 2,800 to maybe 3,200 depending on load. Sure *seems* faster than a PC on 6 though! Bill D wasn`t kidding- the way it flashes AIO too fast is really something.

Yeah, it`s the same kind of random orbital as the PC. The heads spin freely on their mounts to provide the "random" portion.

It *does not* bog when you "lean on it". Somebody tried to grab one of its pads when it was on, the way you can with the PC, and learned a painful lesson about how powerful the Cyclo is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

I personally find using a rotary for any little case of micro marring, the stuff visible only under intense sunlight or synthetic lighting is impractical. I often can`t get the paint perfect the first time using the rotary alone, ( and I feel better because some of the best pros in the business even follow up with a Cyclo) so I use the Cyclo.
    Rotaries make quick work of any defect. I have some problems with the aggresive polishes like hologramming or marring, but when I finish with FPII, it always smooths it out and sets the mirror shine, with very little effort, but yes sometimes you have to use finishing polish. At low RPM`s (1200 or so)rotaries are completely safe. I would like to try a cyclo for the fun of it, but I would say I have no desire to replace my process by using rotary, they cut to well to change IMO. I couldn`t get my machine to bog if I sat on it.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Dumb question from a newbie - what`s a Cyclo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Steve530

Dumb question from a newbie - what`s a Cyclo?

http://www.topoftheline.com/tolae/cy...sher-gold.html

The best way I can say it is a double headed super PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Burlyq. That looks like a serious tool. I guess I should master the PC before I even think about a Cyclo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both would be very safe, I would try the PC first because they are so much cheaper. Porter Cable is a good quality one that will be more than 50% cheaper than the cyclo. It is a perfect machine for the first time user, and will probably last you a lifetime.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pc-7424.html
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Steve530

Thanks, Burlyq. That looks like a serious tool. I guess I should master the PC before I even think about a Cyclo.

The Cyclo really gives you awesome results, and it`s very user friendly. When I was in the market for a polisher 1 1/2 year ago, Accumulator was instrumental in my buying the Cyclo. I use it almost exclusively although I do have a Makita 9227 rotary. One of these days I might try a PC. Thanks again Accumulator - I can nevery thank you enough. :bounce

Foris
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information