Thread: SFX- Spot Pad

Post Thanks / Like
    I recieved my spot pads today, so i tried them out on a pretty swirld and scratched fender.

I started with SFX-2 and the yellow pad

This is what i started with, sorry about the poor pics, i am a lousy cameraman

After one pass with SFX-2 and the yellow pad i was left with this.

I did a total of 2 passes with SFX-2, second with less pressure.

Then I did 3 passes with a white spot pad and SFX-3. I did 3 passes for the heck of it really, didnt do much on white . There was some marring left behind from the yellow pad, and the final polishing took care of it.

I am very happy with both the SFX spot pads and the SFX polishes.

The SFX-2 dusted alittle, so i slowed the machine down to 4-5, and it stopped dusting. I wiped it off like DACP, once it turns clear. Wiped off ok, not great.

SFX-3 is a pretty nice polish. Pretty creamy, and can be worked a for a good while without dusting. Wipes off fairly well, and suprizingly my trim isnt stained. I am a slob with my trim. I got it on it for sure, but wiped it off right away, no stain. :xyxthumbs

I have a stain on my windshield molding from another product i used, and it didnt wipe off so well....

*Edit, i got it on the trim, because i ran it up alongside the windshield. There was swirls there, the real reason i got these spot pads, too small for a 6" pad, and im too lazy to use ScratchX :LOLOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ya, what can i do about those rims?

No matter what i do, they always look like that. The part that is stained is machined, and the rest of the weel is clear coated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried a good metal polish yet? A buddy of mine has some neglected aluminum rims and I plan to try the new Mothers PowerBall on them. Here is a recent thread talking about it (if you read far enough into it there is a link to a video from Mothers showing a demo:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...highlight=rims

And here is another link with some wheel polishing tips:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...highlight=rims

Thanks for the review on the 4" pads. Did you try to do any corrective polishing before you went with the 4" pads?
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Aye! Thanks for the 4-inch spot pad review. I`ve been thinking of getting them versus the cyclo pads sold by TOL. What backing plate did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    What backing plate did you use?

The small one from Autopia store.

Did you try to do any corrective polishing before you went with the 4" pads?

I polished that car in steps, like a hood and fender, couple doors when i had the time.

I hadnt got around to that fender yet though.

I was pressing quite hard on one area with a scratch, and i was impressed that the pads were able to handle it. The scratch was gone quickly too.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know what, because of you, Accumulator, and Alfisti, I`m thiking of getting the SFX-3 (blue) pad for paste wax application and several green and white cyclo pads for IP/FPII, #83, #80, and IHG.

When I get my PC, I`m skipping the 6-inch DA pads phase completely. I`m going straight to the 4-inch spot pads. :bounce

Btw, how long did it take for the pad to be saturated with product before you switched to a clean pad (if you used a second one, that is)?

Post Thanks / Like
    The blue SFX pad works awsome for waxing. Very easy to layer with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting all this talk about how well 4 inch pads work compared to larger pads. Makes me wonder why anybody would use a 7 inch pad with the PC. A 6 inch would work better for the same reasons the 4 inch does. 4 and 6 inch are as big as I go on a PC. The PC isn`t all that aggressive to begin with and 7 inch pads just don`t make sense on a PC IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do the same and totally agree.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information