Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new to all of this and I have some products on the way. I`ve read alot about PC`s but i`m wondering if I should spend the money. I only plan on "macine polishing" every once in a while, not all the time. So my question is should I spend the $$ on a pc even though i`m not going to be using it all the time? Is there a cheaper "amateur polisher" that anyone recommends? I just can`t see spending $100 on something that i`m not going to be using that much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by lucky8926

I`m new to all of this and I have some products on the way. I`ve read alot about PC`s but i`m wondering if I should spend the money. I only plan on "macine polishing" every once in a while, not all the time. So my question is should I spend the $$ on a pc even though i`m not going to be using it all the time? Is there a cheaper "amateur polisher" that anyone recommends? I just can`t see spending $100 on something that i`m not going to be using that much.

If it`s not in your budget then you can still get some pretty good results by hand, but if you can afford the PC, definitely get it. You`ll probably find yourself using it a lot more than you think. The problem with a place like Autopia, it helps you realize the potential your car has to shine. Just okay is no longer acceptable. I find myself driving down the street and getting disgusted at all the cars on the road and how badly swirled they are and lack of depth in the paint. When I get out of my cars, I look back at least two or three times and just smile. My biggest compliments have been when people ask me if my cars are new. One`s a 94 Mustang GT Convertible with 77,000 miles and the other is a 1998 Navigator with 107,000 miles. Autopia and other sites have taught me how to get the most out of the paint and the PC has enabled me to go beyond what I was able to get by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get the PC because it is built to last. Plus you could start using it on other people`s cars for money. People are afraid to use machines on their paint and your skills with the PC will surprise them.

On the flip side, know that you will also have to buy a backing plate and pads, MFs, etc, so it`s really closer to $200.
    The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.

-Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen some cheap ones (not pc obviously) at wally world and other places and wondered if they would do as good of a job. I know they won`t last as long, but will the finish product be the same??
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think you would be wasting your money if you go cheap with Wallyworld. I think the PC`s biggest asset is it`s ability to remove swirl marks. The cheap ones just can`t do it. Also, I`ve gone the hand route with swirl mark remover. It never really worked. I never made any headway with swirl marks until I got the PC and the knowledge to use it from Autopia. You`re headed in the right direction by joining Autopia, but you`re going to find that just about everybody here recommend you get a PC ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like
    well PC it is then!! My truck is black so I know all about swirl marks!! Now i`m dreading the hours and hours of research on different pads!! Someone should do a write up on different pads, what they are used for and which ones work best with different brands of polish, sealer, wax, etc etc
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    lucky8926- IMO you certainly won`t regret getting the PC :xyxthumbs

The pad question just keeps getting more complicated all the time. Used to be there were basically two or three makers to choose between, but now there are more. IMO there aren`t any really *bad* choices, and if you stick with reputable vendors (such as the Autopia store or TOL, for instance) you should be able to do OK.

General pad advice: You should get three types of pads: cutting, polishing, and finishing. There are other choices that fit between these broad categories, but those three will do fine for starters. IMO you oughta get at least two of each (things happen usually at the worst possible time). In fact, I`d get three polishing pads so you can try different products.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see people talking about the colors of pads, and I know each color does a different thing. I`m guessing each vendor will say what each particular color pad is used for.
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also get information on pads at properautocare.com. Very good resources.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by lucky8926

I see people talking about the colors of pads, and I know each color does a different thing. I`m guessing each vendor will say what each particular color pad is used for.
    They usually do describe their pads/colors/uses, but as Accumulator mentioned, there are a lot of new pads and colors out so things aren`t as simple as they used to be.

Here is one good source for pads along with a thread that gives a good description of them:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=29307

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...threadid=49338
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info guys!! It`s all getting clearer now!!!
    Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    I too only use my PC a couple of times a year. I bought a used one on Ebay. No problems so far...knock on wood.

Thread Information