Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, i just bought a PC (Model 7336) and want to start using it to get my paint in better condition. But before i do, i need to buy pads, backing plates, and all that, correct? Is there a website where i can purchase a kit that includes the right accesories for my model so that i can begin polishing? Also, my deatiling arsenal includes Megs. NXT, Eagle1 nanowax, zymol, turtle wax: rubbing compound, polishing compund, and wax. They are basically just different products i have bought from auto parts stores, nothing fancy. Can these be used succesfully with my PC.

Thanks in advance...
    FlzRider

-------------

2003 BMW 330ci

2006 Suzuki GSXR600

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are two good places to buy a backing plate and pads for your PC:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=29307

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html

As far as your rubbing and polishing compound, youâ€â„¢ll have to be more specific (brand, name of product, etc.). Some of the otc stuff is way too harsh, while some may be way too mild. The "correct" polishes and compounds can be used with a PC as well as your wax such as the NXT.

BTW :welcome to Autopia
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    The polishing compund and rubbing compund are both from Turtle Wax. I find the rubbing compound to be very abrasive, and the polishing compund to be OK on metallic paint, but to abrasive on solid colors.

As for the pads, etc. I like how the autopia store put together a package, but does it include everything i need? Would you recommend it? Whats the difference between all of the different types of pads? And lastly, before i bought my PC, i used a little ryobi polisher with a terry cloth and it worked quite well for me, should i expect much better results with the PC and these pads?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks....
    FlzRider

-------------

2003 BMW 330ci

2006 Suzuki GSXR600

Post Thanks / Like
    The Autopia package includes all that you need, but I would buy a couple of extra pads (at least one or two extra greens and maybe an extra blue) to go with it.

Or you can order a good set of pads and backing plate from Excel Detail. Start with the Pad/Plate kit for $29.99:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...97914&pg=14145

Then add something like two green pads (polishing), a yellow pad (med cut), and an orange (light cut/polishing) pad. All seven pads and backing plate will only run about $60, but youâ€â„¢ll have a nice range of pads to use and an extra one of the most used pads if you switch to a different product during a detail. Between the kit and the extra pads you`ll have:

1- Yellow Medium Cutting pad

1- Orange (light cut/polish) pad

2- Green polish pads

2- Blue Light Polishing pads

1- Gray finishing pads

1- 5" Backing Plate

You can adjust the number of pads depending of the products you`re going to use, but you won`t beat $60 for a pad kit like that!

I wouldn`t use the TW rubbing compound at all (sandpaper in a jar), and would be careful with the polishing compound too. A good starting polish combo would be Poorboy`s SSR2.5 and SSR1, or Meg`s #83 and #80:

http://www.premiumautocare.com/posuswre.html

http://www.premiumautocare.com/meguiars.html

If the Ryobi is just a small single speed random orbit unit that I`m thinking it is, then you`ll get much better results with a PC. The Ryobi can not be used to polish out defects like a PC can, about all it is good for is applying wax. You`ll love a PC and with the right pads you`ll be able to do a lot more, and do it faster.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, i checked both out, and they both seem like good starting point for me. But i have no clue which to go with? :nixweiss One is $49.99 and i beleive it includes 3 pads, 1 backing plate, 1 buffing bonnet, and a detailing cd. The other is $61.36 and includes 7 pads, and 1 backing plate.

BTW, Eliot Ness, i appreciate the help....
    FlzRider

-------------

2003 BMW 330ci

2006 Suzuki GSXR600

Post Thanks / Like
    Which two are you trying to decide between? I know one is the Autopia Sonus DAS, what`s the other one? I thought the Excel kit came with 3 pads and 1 plate for $29.99?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Flzrider

Well, i checked both out, and they both seem like good starting point for me. But i have no clue which to go with?.......
    Either way you go they are both good pads, but for about $20 more you`ll get 4 extra pads. The CD can be downloaded for free from here:

http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html

Which two are you trying to decide between? I know one is the Autopia Sonus DAS, what`s the other one? I thought the Excel kit came with 3 pads and 1 plate for $29.99?
    Jason, yes the"starting kit" from Excel is $29.95, but when you add in the extra pads I suggested in a previous post it works out to 7 pads and a backing plate for about $60.00.
    John

Thread Information