Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Well with my birthday approaching along with (hopefully) better weather, I`m looking at acquiring myself a machine polisher. Being totally inexperienced with these tools, I`m looking at a PC-like DA random orbital rather than a rotary.

I realise in this world that you get what you pay for, but I can`t quite stretch the £300-odd required for a Makita BO6040. Nor do I fancy importing a PC then forking out for the 110V transformer. What do UK Autopian`s recommend I go take a look at? Anything suitable in B&Q`s PPPro range as I`ve found their other power tools to be great value and good quality for domestic work (plus they come with a 3 year warranty)?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to piss anyone off or step on any toes, but as I`m getting more and more comfortable with the rotary, I keep thinking the PC was not only a waste of time, but a waste of money, it has become a very expensive wax applicator and remover for me.

My advice would be to just get the rotary, and practice on anything you can get your hands on. I`ve used junk yard panels, beater cars, the top and sides of my washing machine, etc. It doesn`t take very long to get used to it, but you must use caution on your first couple of cars as it really takes experience to be a good rotary user. You probably know the downsides, but the upsides are faster polishing, higher gloss, more ability to remove defects(and with milder polishes as well).

Post Thanks / Like
    Which unit from B&Q were you thinking of

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lowejackson

Which unit from B&Q were you thinking of
    Dual Random Orbital Sander

My concerns are:

• RPM (up to 11,000 which is high, no min. stated)
    • What backing plates could I fit? (if any)
    • Will it accept the popular pads?

Other recommendations welcomed

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the speed of that unit might be to high and the B&Q site does not really give enough information on any product.

Before I bought a PC, I searched a lot for an equivalent to a PC, the nearest thing was the Makita. This was over two years ago so there might be new products on the market. The situation is different if you are after a rotary, there is a large choice.

If you do not wish to get a PC or a Makita, I really cannot think of any similar product which is safe and easy to use and can create great results

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lowejackson

If you do not wish to get a PC or a Makita, I really cannot think of any similar product which is safe and easy to use and can create great results
    No problem, thanks for your input! I will try and get some further detail on the product I linked to and failing that I`ll have to get saving.

Post Thanks / Like
    the makita is available for £216 here

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=314941

otherwise justbite the bullet and get a pc....
    2 Classic Minis, Rover 200vi, Mazda mx5, Ford Mondeo Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lix,

Even with the cost of the step down transformer etc, the PC cost wise is difficult to beat.

Try e-mailing Porter Cable UK, there was talk sometime ago that they may bring over machines because of the growing market for them over here.... You will pay a fair bit more for the same bit of kit though.... (sorry I don`t have the site link to hand)....

Cheers.

Alex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex, I`ll email PCUK and see what they have to say.

Dave, thanks for the link. £216 for a UK product (with warranty) is close enough to a PC shipped from the US plus a decent transformer.

Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    just stop messing about and geta pc from autopia with a set of pads then geta tfr from screwfix, you wont regret it and importing from the states using autopia is so simple its like buying from uk, just takes a bit longer!!!

Oh and PCs do not always attract customs duty

if you go the makita route let me know what its like, I`m tempted cos I`ma bit ofa tool freak!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be several threads about the Makita. The PC is a great tool and I do not remember any threads where people regret buying one.

Dave, I would edit that second paragraph as it might wrongly give the impression about mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I considered the Makita BO6040 when I was looking at the transition over to machine polishing a few weeks ago. I opted for the PC 7424 option instead.

True, it would have been slightly easier to buy from a UK supplier on the net, but the tried and tested means and results of the PC as detailed on the Autopia forums swayed my decision. Plus, there is so much familiarity and knowledge with the Porter-Cable on here, that help and advice on machine speeds and pad types etc. is never too far away.

Two weeks ago, I purchased the PC7424 with Sonus pad kit, 110v transformer, plug and 11m extension lead (Screwfix) and the total came to £190 including VAT and shipping from the USA, with the delivery taking just 5 days to arrive at my door.

I`ve certainly not regretted buying it.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    hi i bought a dewalt 443, all i can say is it is amazing!...apparently dewalt own porter or is it the other way round, not sure but anyway the dewalt is very good.

dewalt 443

dw443 at amazon

its a hook and loop system which allows very easy transfer of pads, very good so far im well pleased with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    what speeds does it run at 4200 - 7600, or 8400 - 15200???

have seen both quoted for the same machine, which is right???

Post Thanks / Like
    hi Dave,

in the info booklet with the polisher it say the rpm is adjustable from 4000 to 7600, hope that helps. i used it today on my dads a6, it came up a treat!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information