Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Except that I don`t think it matters... this is AC we are talking about. But since I`m not an electrician it won`t hurt to follow the black/ white rule.
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by butchdave

Except that I don`t think it matters... this is AC we are talking about. But since I`m not an electrician it won`t hurt to follow the black/ white rule.
    It does matter I`m afraid, but unfortunately the reasons are slightly beyond my knowledge to accurately explain.

Anyway, all successfully wired up and running like a dream. My current (small) product collection includes/will soon include:

AG SRP and EGP, PB SSR2 and EX-P and some Swissol carnauba (Saphir) which I purchased before I found Autopia. The Swissol does give a lovely warmth and slickness but I`m not sure I would spend so much on one product now I am starting to learn about proper prep.

Car lives outside although I do most of my cleaning at my father`s house, a 30 minute drive away. His garage is a little "compact" (typical English build!) so I stick to the driveway unless the weather is really bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC is great, easy to use and does not vibrate half as much as I was led to believe when I was reading up on buying one.

The Sonus pads are also nice, I also use Meguiars Polishing and Finishing pads, as I like to have a pad dedicated to one product, so I purchased another 4 from the UK.

I also have to use mine in the driveway as my car is too wide to clean in the garage......I don`t half get strange looks from people who walk past in the street, they must think I`m obsessed, but comment positively when they see the results.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    lix, what`s that yellow connector on top of the transformer? is it a seperate item from Screwfix?
    ex-Autoglym-er finding better products all the time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the new plug for the PC

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by D3mon

lix, what`s that yellow connector on top of the transformer? is it a seperate item from Screwfix?
    As Lowe said above, it`s the 110V plug for my PC to replace the US plug as I am using a "site" style transformer.

Screwfix parts list:

• 16691 - 14m 110V Extension Lead, £9.95
    • 19947 - 110V Accessory Plug, £1.20
    • 73851 - 750VA 230/110 Transformer, £34.99

Post Thanks / Like
    Lix, should you not be working on your dissertation

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooooo, not the disertation, I was in that position this time last year.

Having a PC (computer, not Porter Cable) connected to the net whilst working is too much of a distraction :p :nono

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, ok, consider me undistracted :p This place is a bad influence; Nick and Lowe please help keep me focused!

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried wiring the extension lead directly into the PC? I find that the 110v site plug is very heavy and quite annoying when it gets stuck under the tyres when moving round the car.

I did take that wiring cover off the PC and found that there are crimped connectors which I don`t have any spare. I suppose I could just solder it directly to the terminals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NiFreaky

Has anyone tried wiring the extension lead directly into the PC? I find that the 110v site plug is very heavy and quite annoying when it gets stuck under the tyres when moving round the car.

I did take that wiring cover off the PC and found that there are crimped connectors which I don`t have any spare. I suppose I could just solder it directly to the terminals.

I know what you mean about the site plug, gets all scratched up when dragged over the floor and gets snagged on wheels etc.

But your suggestion sounds like a good idea, I wouldn`t think there would be a problem doing this........anybody with electrical knowledge like to confirm ? :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a `fusing` issue when removing the US mains plug an replacing it with the 110V kind? How is the PC protected?
    ex-Autoglym-er finding better products all the time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just wondering what to do with the spare earth wire in the yellow cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nick M

I know what you mean about the site plug, gets all scratched up when dragged over the floor and gets snagged on wheels etc.

But your suggestion sounds like a good idea, I wouldn`t think there would be a problem doing this........anybody with electrical knowledge like to confirm ? :up

Connecting directly to the PC would be fine. In effect you are just re-cording it as you would if the original cable were to suffer damage. Just be sure to make a good internal connection.

Re: earthing/grounding... The PC is double insulated (indicated by the "square within a square" symbol) and therefore should not be connected to earth.

Re: fuse protection... You are protected by any "thermal overload" protection on your transformer, the fused plug on the 230V side of the transformer and by the RCD which the transformer should be plugged into (as with any equipment used externally).

Post Thanks / Like
    How many RPMs does the PC do at different speedsettings?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information