Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Im thinking about getting a rotary. It wont get a lot of use most cars I see are pretty new with only minor marring, but I would like one for the occasional tougher job.

I found 2 at harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46507

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90820

Any thoughts on how these would work would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy **** that is cheap! I was looking to get a Makita Rotary and they are around 200 bucks! The First one you list is about the same weight as the Dewalt I looked at, the second one is pretty darn light at 6.6 pounds.

Sorry I dont own these but I sure would like others feedback as well if someone has these and/or what people`s opinion are on these. Rotary for me would be used maybe 3-4 times a week (the amount of cars I do during the summer, customers.)

Of course there is something to be said about the quality of the Dewualt and Makita brand, but then again there is a 150 price difference!
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    check this out http://www.properautocare.com/veprcipo.html

not bad for the price. i like it for my first rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Buy a DeWalt or Makita.

Post Thanks / Like
    LangMan37, this might have been what you were implying, but if not, I thought I`d say it. Back a while we (I?) decided that a lot of polishers that are THE SAME as the 11 AMP Harbor Freight polisher are being sold for more....one example is the Vector rotary @ ProperAutoCare....

The smaller 9.8 amp Harbor Freight rotary came to my attention after I got my 11 amp one...the small size and light weight are attractive, but I`m not sure which I would prefer. I`m pretty happy with my 11 amp model...I don`t use it very often, but I don`t have any big problems with it. I bet a name brand one would have a nicer feel, but this one sure turns the pad without any problem, so it satisfies me. I`m running flat 6" buff&shine pads on a 5 or 5.5" backing plate from TOL...I also have Lake Country variable contact pads (6.5" i think), but I haven`t become as comfortable with them on PC or Rotary. Maybe I`ll get the hang of them this summer.

so...

Power-plenty fine for me

Comfort-could be better, but it is a tool not an arm chair...it has handles in all the right places, just not neccessarily the most comfortable

Durability-I haven`t had mine long enough to draw any real conclusions...mine might be developing a little growl, and the spindle isn`t perfectly tight, but I don`t have enough experience to know if this is bad...overall, I`d say "polishers" have very easy lives....low pressures and relatively clean environments, so this tool should do.

Hope That Helps

CRXSi90
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 01bluecls

Holy **** that is cheap! .........Sorry I dont own these but I sure would like others feedback as well if someone has these and/or what people`s opinion are on these. .......
    http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....threadid=30305
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link Elliot Ness. Reading that still got me kinda of confused. So if I buy http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=90820

That means of course I will change the backing plate to be able use 8 inch pads. And that`s pretty much it right? I really dont need the rotary for my personal vehichles, but some peoples car that I do, the PC just doesnt cut it (no pun intended )

I was considering the Makita, but for a 150 price difference! This Chicago Rotary seems to be my answer, I do maybe 4-5 car a week, one day (customer cars).

Of course my girlfriend already agreed to buy me the Makita and pads for our Anniversary gift to me Should I save her some money, or get the quality product (Makita) since its free to me?

Im of course the type of person where I believe in paying the extra price for QUALITY and reliability!
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MorBid

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Buy a DeWalt or Makita.

Nice quote! :up
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 01bluecls

.......Im of course the type of person where I believe in paying the extra price for QUALITY and reliability!
    Then you would probably like the Makita or a DeWalt better. There is no doubt that they are much higher quality than the Chicago. But for $25 it`s hard to beat for someone just wanting one for occasional use. I just posted that thread because of the fact that a shop owner like Jimmy Buffit found it to be adequate for an occasional user. If I used a rotary once a week I`d probably spring for a Makita or DeWalt for the same reasons you mentioned, but since I use a rotary so seldom the Chicago works out fine.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Not cheap, but half the weight of a Malita is the Metabo, from Top Of The Line. After working a Makita all day long, you knuckles drag on the ground on the way home. Not so with the Metabo! When you are tired you are more likely to make a fatal mistake and I have found I can Metabo all day long without wearing myself out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a cheap Ebay buffer configured like the Makita. $30 or so. I use it once a year to get the winter swirls ect. out of two cars. As stated, it spins the pads just fine and I couldnt be happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, please take note that the "trigger-lock" feature is only unique with the Makita 9227xxx. This is one thing to consider in buying a "generic" brand rotary.

Although it says variable speed 1-6 with 1000-3000rpm, they will not be able to run lower than 800 rpm, that`s because the Makita operates like it has a clutch in it. When you push the trigger, it doesn`t immediately get to the maximum speed setting, instead, it accelarates as you level the trigger. And the Makita can be locked at 600 rpm even if set to 1000 rpm.
    I don`t go by REFLECTIONS, but the WET-LOOK factor. If reflections coincided with my end-result, it`s merely INCIDENTAL... - JMGarcia

Post Thanks / Like
    This has came up a few times when im searching for a rotary on the net and it says "no load speed" what does this mean.

What is the best bet for RPM range too.

Thanks guys :xythumb:

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tripper_11

Guys, please take note that the "trigger-lock" feature is only unique with the Makita 9227xxx. This is one thing to consider in buying a "generic" brand rotary.

Although it says variable speed 1-6 with 1000-3000rpm, they will not be able to run lower than 800 rpm, that`s because the Makita operates like it has a clutch in it. When you push the trigger, it doesn`t immediately get to the maximum speed setting, instead, it accelarates as you level the trigger. And the Makita can be locked at 600 rpm even if set to 1000 rpm.

The porter cable has a trigger lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by L33

The porter cable has a trigger lock.

Yes, the PC (dual action polisher) has.

But not all "rotary" has it, especially the generic ones. There are some detailers (like me) who uses the Makita 9227c to LSP (for even application). So a "rotary" polisher (direct drive for maximum torque) that can run at slow speed is an added benefit as it could do "mild" or "less agressive" job just like a dual-action polisher (PC) can. The 9227c could do both (aggressive cutting and mild polishing) jobs. So it saves you from buying two machines.

Thus, this is one thing to consider in buying a "rotary."

JJ_:

"no load speed" I believe applies only to orbital polishers but not to rotary buffers. It only means the "speed range" of the polisher when you`re not applying pressure in it. A rotary buffer which operates via direct drive is intended for maximum efficiency and high torque, so the speed doesn`t vary even if you put pressure in it, as it was intended for such purpose.

Hope this helps.
    I don`t go by REFLECTIONS, but the WET-LOOK factor. If reflections coincided with my end-result, it`s merely INCIDENTAL... - JMGarcia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information