Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Can I use my Sonus orange pad with Meg #83 and #80 w/o washing it? Do you guys have 2 orange or yellow(CMA type) when using different type of polisher? Im currently using just one pad only.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you washed it between products, it would be fine. Since you are using two products that are quite similar, I don`t think there would be a real problem, but the two products might break down at different rates. Maybe that would cause a problem?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    What if I use 2 different polisher?(meg #80 and 4* PC)?

Post Thanks / Like
    You run the risk of some interaction; if both products are in the same class I don`t think it would be the end of the world. What you don`t want to do is use #83 and then use the same pad for your paint protectant.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are different viewpoints on this subject. One says to only use one product per pad, the other says you can use a different product on the same pad as long as it has been thoroughly cleaned (washed). And yet another group thinks it is OK to use different polishes on the same pad as long as you`re increasing in aggressiveness.

In my early days I once did a small section with #80, and seeing that it wasnâ€â„¢t aggressive enough, I switched to #83 on the same pad. My thinking was that since #83 was more aggressive than #80 it wouldnâ€â„¢t hurt, and I donâ€â„¢t think it did. But I would never go from a more aggressive polish (like #83) to a less aggressive polish (like #80) for obvious reasons. Nor as Mike pointed out, should you go from something like a polish to an LSP or even a paint cleaner unless youâ€â„¢re sure that it is clean and free of any residue that could be deeper into the pad and may seep out while youâ€â„¢re using it.

Since then Iâ€â„¢m one of those who pretty much uses one product per pad. After I wash/dry my pad/s I put them in a Ziplock bag marked with what product I use. If you can get all of the product washed out of your pad itâ€â„¢s probably OK to use it with something else, I just feel more comfortable dedicating one product per pad and have accumulated enough pads that it isnâ€â„¢t a problem doing so.

But you really should get some more pads. For example, if youâ€â„¢re only using #83, #80, and one type paint cleaner then I would suggest at least (if youâ€â„¢re using Sonus DAS pads):

-1 orange pad: for #83

-2 polish (green) pads: one for #83 and one for #80 (there are times when you wonâ€â„¢t need an orange pad with #83)

-2 blue pads: one for your paint cleaner, one for an LSP.

You need to decide how many of each type of products youâ€â„¢ll be using during a given detail (or day). As you add more polishes/products to your arsenal you may want to add a pad for that product so you wonâ€â„¢t be delayed while you wash/dry out a pad that you just used. Sometimes a different polish (3M, SSR, Megâ€â„¢s, etc.) will perform better depending on paint, defect, techniques, and other conditions so itâ€â„¢s nice to have some extra pads.

Itâ€â„¢s kind of a pain, but itâ€â„¢s better than wondering if your results were due to product or technique rather than cross-contamination on your pad.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info. Yes, Im using orange for #83 and 80 in the same pad.

I`m going test it out this weekend with PWC SSR2.5 and 3 w/the same orange pad and see. By using all 4 polishers

Post Thanks / Like
    SSR3 is pretty aggressive, make sure you really need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JBM

SSR3 is pretty aggressive, make sure you really need it.

SSR3 is more aggressive than #83?

Thread Information