Post Thanks / Like
    Are these two PC the same unit only one comes with a polishing pad? My parents just brought me home a new 7336 from Florida, and I just want to make sure...I had asked for the 7424 but the person at International tool said they are the same unit, they charged the same, only the 7336 had a pad with it.

They also bought me a wool buffing bonnet. Is it safe to use the pad that came with the kit, or should I go for some Lake Country pads?

Thanks for any help that can be offered. PC will be used on a Mystic Blue BMW and a Midnight Blue BMW Cabriolet if that matters re: the pads that should be used.

~Darren
    1989 Trans-Am GTA [Red, Showroom Mint]

1992 Mustang 5.0 Coupe- [Black, Mint and DONE]

2000 Vortech`d Mustang GT-[Show `n` Go Car]

2014 Explorer Sport- [Black Metallic, Twin Turbo]

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SilverStallion

Are these two PC the same unit only one comes with a polishing pad? My parents just brought me home a new 7336 from Florida, and I just want to make sure...I had asked for the 7424 but the person at International tool said they are the same unit, they charged the same, only the 7336 had a pad with it.

They also bought me a wool buffing bonnet. Is it safe to use the pad that came with the kit, or should I go for some Lake Country pads?

Thanks for any help that can be offered. PC will be used on a Mystic Blue BMW and a Midnight Blue BMW Cabriolet if that matters re: the pads that should be used.

~Darren

Yes, they are the same unit. You will need to get a hook and loop backing plate and various types of foam pads. I`ve used Top of the Line before for pads and backing plate and they offer great service with some competive prices. Sounds like you owe the parents a detail (besides, that way as you are showing how grateful of a son you are, you also get to practice on their vehicle )

Post Thanks / Like
    The two models are the same machine. The 7336 comes with a counterweight, and it`s actually the one you want

I got the 7336 from Lowe`s for less than one hundred, so if you spent more you overpaid!!! Take it back and use the money for pads.....

I got the Sonus Kit and bought a few extras from ExcelDetail, so I have 1 medium cut, 2 light cut, 2 polishing and a finishing bonnet.

I would suggest the ExcelDetal as they are the best bargain. Also consider the Edge 2000 pads. They are the latest and greatest. DOUBLE sided...

I watched a Meguiar`s video today and they said one product per pad which would seem like a lot when trying different lines of polishes/glazes/waxes....

Anyone actually do this?

How are you keeping your pads clean?

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean by counterweight? Is that the piece that looks like a dark disk attached to the PC? Does the 7242 not use a counterweight? Just trying to full understand the difference.

~Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    Both the PC7336 and the PC7424 use a counterweight, but this weight comes in two different sizes. The counterweight is the `half-moon` chunk of metal seen when you remove the screw-in backing plate. (7336 uses the 6" weight as standard where the 7424 uses the 5")

Its all to do with the size of the counter weight and its ability to reduce vibrations when used.

This website explains all: :up

CLICK ME

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that link; that was very helpful. So, am I to assume that the counter weight that came with my 7336 is acceptable to use with my Country Lake pads I am ordering? I am making this assumption based on the fact that the 7424 in the link provided is suggesting a bonus kit with the 6" counterweight.

Which weight are you guys using?

Also, does the 7424 come with a storage case or just in a cardboard box like the 7336?

Sorry for all the questions...starting to understand now.

~Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    The 7424 that I got from Coastaltool.com only comes with a cardboard box. I bought the $20 metal case for it, but it is much smaller than I had hoped for. If I had seen it in person first, I would have bought something a little bigger. FWIW, the LC pads won`t fit in the case when the PC is in there. Based on posts I read, most people seem to be using the 5" counterweight with all pads. That`s what I use. But as you can see by my post count, my opinion is pretty new.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detailers paradise sells a storage box for the PC (about 30USD)

There are two different counter-weights, which are clearly marked to indicate use with either the 5-inch, or 6-inch backing pad. Therefore with a 6-inch backing pad for polishing you should use the 6-inch, 0.140 oz. counterweight (PN 699933). The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5-inch weight and a 6-inch pad are unacceptable for most people, for the 5-inch backing pad (or smaller) for polishing you should use the 5-inch, 0.120 oz (PN 874011) counterweight.

As for pads / backing plates you should look into a package (i.e. Autopia Sonus Kit, etc)

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    The storage box sold by Detailers Paradise fits the PC perfectly with some space for a few extra pads as well. I am glad I decided to purchase it.
    A clean car runs better

Thread Information