Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, I am looking to purchase an random orbital buffer, since we can`t use the much loved Porter Cable, this is the next best thing I believe

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod763.htm

What do I need to make it into the best buffer I can?? Do I need to order base plates??

Any help would be great

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Hitachi is the exact same unit as I have :xyxthumbs

It already has a velcro backing plate of 5", so all you need to do is buy some pads and get into it! Its really that simple. I`d recommend the Megs pads as the velcro pad on the back is larger than the 5" backing plate and stops it cutting into the pad which I found happened a lot with my Lake Country pads. Plus you can get Megs pads locally, which saves on shipping

PM me if you need any more info on anything detailing related and I will help you where I can.
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks. So once I buy an random, I won`t look back??? What Meguiars pads would you recommend??

Post Thanks / Like
    this is interesting, cause I am thinking of getting one too, nice I just noticed the place (justtools) is around the corner from where I work!

6,500-11,000 rpm.

-- isn`t that a little high? doesn`t the PC do around 2,500?

Is it dangerous for a beginner to have a buffer @ 6500rpm?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wondered the same thing.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a dewalt RO also and believe me, the Hitachi isn`t too fast in its oscillations. those figures just dont add up. Trust me, you will have no problems with the Hitachi, it is fool-proof. Meguiars Australia recommend it as their preferred RO buffer.

Pads - predominantly polishing pads, they are the workhorses ( Megs - yellow, LC - white ). Cutting pads are used sparingly, so dont get too many ( Megs - burgandy, LC - orange ). And I am not a huge fan of finishing pads ( Megs and LC - grey ), I just find them too absorbant and soak up too much product.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice.. looks like I off to Bunnings tomorrow, then I gotta find a Meguiars dealer with enough pads.

So grab a few yellows for different brands of polishes??

I can always finish by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a plan...

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have to post pics... thanks for the advise

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, be sure to post pics and if you need any more help, please feel free to PM me. Good Luck with it

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks. So once I buy an random, I won`t look back???
    You`ll wonder how you ever lived without one!

We also looked at various local alternatives for our detailing business, but in the end we decided to import a couple of PCs.

I also have a Makita BO6040 with Forced Rotation which was kindly lent to me by a fellow Aussie Autopian for me to try. Unfortunately, I haven`t had a chance to trial it as I don`t want to experiment on customers cars. I think one of our staff`s cars is going to be the test-bed. (Muuh ha haah!) Hence, I can`t make a recommendation about that model yet.

It`s about $600...much more than the Hitachi. If you`re interested here`s a thread about it:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ghlight=makita

If you`re going to pay that sort of money, you may as well import a PC a buy a transformer...unless the Forced Rotation feature intrigues you. :p

I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    i actually bought my Hitachi FSV 13y on recommendation of 6cyls!! haven`t had a chance to use it to any great extent yet as my pads only arrived today!!! i got them from patrick at exceldetail.com - propel pads - i think they have a range of 5 pads. i bought six! 6 pads plus postage cost me 87dollars AUS!!! i think thats much cheaper than the megs pads because they run at 40 bucks a pad at repco and 35 bucks each from autobahn...i would imagine they still would be atleast 30 bucks from megs aus.

think about the US for somethings - at the current exchange rate - its great to buy stuff from there... postage is nothing compared to the range and prices you can get over there (eg - propel pad was 7.50... which is about 10Aus!!! 1/3 the price.)

on another note - did any body who uses the hitachi find that the pads are particularly difficult to remove from the standard backing plate?

and another note - i believe that the PC is forced rotation aswell is it not? dave from waxit.com.au highlighted the difference as he has a PC - you apply pressure to the hitachi - is only orbits... pressure to the pc and it still rotates... thus more heat. that is my concept of forced rotation.
    Thanks for Reading my Rant

Post Thanks / Like
    $87 for the propel pads?!? Yikes that is good.

*reaches for credit card*

The "forced" rotation makes it behave more so like a rotary than an random orbital ( ie it just spins, doesnt oscillate ). It is trying to combiune two machines in one.....

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by liam

and another note - i believe that the PC is forced rotation aswell is it not? dave from waxit.com.au highlighted the difference as he has a PC - you apply pressure to the hitachi - is only orbits... pressure to the pc and it still rotates... thus more heat. that is my concept of forced rotation.

The PC does not have a forced rotation. The pad spins as a result of the orbit. I have stopped the pad from spinning many times by applying too much pressure but the machine still orbits. In fact you can turn the PC on and grab the pad with your hand and stop the rotation like that. It doesn`t take much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by liam

This is how I understand it.

A PC doesn`t have Forced Rotation. But it does rotate more than most of its competitors.

A PC is a Dual Action Random Orbit machine. What that means is that while the main centre spindle is turning, a second off-centre spindle is rotating the backing plate.

A similar movement is performed when the earth rotates around the sun, and the moon rotates around the earth. Thats a dual action rotation, in PC terms.

If you apply enough pressure to a PC it will stop its secondary rotation but will maintain its primary rotation...it will start to jiggle rather than orbit randomly. The pad won`t visibly rotate, just jiggle . I`ve made it do that, but it takes some work.

Due its high torque motor and very long pad throw (best around) its hard to stop its dual random orbit action.

Machines with less power and a shorter pad throw take much less to inhibit the pad rotation.

Compared those machines, a PC will look like it has forced rotation, but it doesn`t.

The Makita`s Forced Rotation is a mechanism which locks the secondary off-centre spindle so that it can`t stop rotating under any pressure. Its half way to rotary without using a circular action making it more powerful than a PC but less dangerous than a rotary (in unskilled hands).

That`s my take on it, but I`m frequently wrong.

I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information