Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 03 Mach1 that sat outside on a dealers lot for 6months before I rescued her. Apparently theres some very very light etching from water spots/acid rain. Ive had the car for over a year since then and have cleaned it up with claybars etc to confirm it is etching. Regardless of what Ive done the hood, roof and trunk lid never feel quite perfectly slick and smooth like the side panels.

They are pretty hard to see in sunlight unless you know how to look for them. Under flourescent light they are a little more visible but the average person still wouldnt notice them. I have very light swirls, again only noticeable if you go looking for them. I know the metallic Dark Shadow Grey color helps to hide these minor imperfections.

I got the PC kit with the various Sonus buffing pads. Would the green pad and 3M Swirl mark reducer be good for this? From reading the Autopia detailing CD I would think the proper speed setting would be in the 2-3 range as well?

thanks for taking the time to help a newb out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia...

First, I`m not familiar with either the Sonus pads or the 3M products. From your description it will probably take a little work to remove even slight etching with a PC.

As always, start easy but...

From my experience I would use a cutting pad and crank the PC up as far as it will go. Also, move very slow and don`t be afraid to put some pressure on the head of the PC. Holding the top of the PC instead of the side handle helps. You really can`t cause any damage with the PC so there`s no fear in being too aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try a meduim cut polish with the orange Sonus pad. If it doesn`t work, go to a cutting compound like sonus`s SFX-1.

Keep us updated on what works for you, and remember, always start with the least aggressive approach!
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT.....Back from the bodyshop and ready to detail again :woot:

Post Thanks / Like
    whats a good medium cut polish I can pick up at a local chain or body supply? Will I need to follow it up with a less aggressive polish afterward?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Magicfan25

whats a good medium cut polish I can pick up at a local chain or body supply? Will I need to follow it up with a less aggressive polish afterward?
    You should be able to get one of these two polishes at a store that sells body shop supplies (or they should be able to order them for you):

3M`s Perfect It III Machine Glaze or Meg`s #80 Speed Glaze.

If you find that you need something a bit more aggressive then you can step up to 3M`s Perfect It III Rubbing Compound or Meg`s DACP (#83). If you use one of these you MAY need to follow up with one of the first two I mentioned if you notice any slight hazing.

Start out with the least aggressive polish/pad and then step up if needed. For example, start out with 3M PI III MG on the green pad, then move to the orange pad after a few applications if needed. If that doesn`t cut it (no pun intended) move to the PI III RC with the green then orange pad if needed.

You want to work the polishes at a PC speed of 5-6 but use very slow arm passes. Also only work a small area (~ 2â€â„¢ x 2â€â„¢) at a time. If you only have one set of pads make sure you clean them very well before using a different polish on the same pad (especially if going from a less aggressive to a more aggressive polish).
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks John, thats what I was lookin for. I only got one set of pads but Ill pick up an extra of each (or the equivalent of the sonus green and orange pads) and the bursh to clean them with.

Ill see if I can get pics of what Im talking about, but I kinda doubt it. I can only see em on the roof if I bend over and look up at the cuve of the roof, or if I pass the shammy over it they show up for a second.

Im also thinking about doing my grandfathers 95 F350. Its red and sits outside in FL all the time. Would that perfect it III compund be good for somewhat oxidized paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with John.

Thread Information