Post Thanks / Like
    I want a PC random orbital and I read that Griots PC features a rubber back instead of a plastic back which will not transfer heat. Is Griots worth the extra money? $200 . If not which model and where should I buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    get the Sonus kit from Autopia........

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by yankees1

I want a PC random orbital and I read that Griots PC features a rubber back instead of a plastic back which will not transfer heat. Is Griots worth the extra money? $200 . If not which model and where should I buy?

Much as I like the way R. Griot has turned his car hobby into a successful business (and I spend plenty of money with him ), IMO his ad copy for the PC he sells is borderline dishonest. PCs don`t build up any appreciable heat, the backing pad won`t transfer any to the paint (heh heh, it would work better if it did!) and you can get many different backing plates for a nominal cost anyhow (I like the 5" flex plate from CMA). Some of us end up with a whole bunch of different backing plates and both the 5" and 6" counterweights. Seriously, these are very minor (and inexpensive) details, and you can swap them out in minutes even if you`re not mechanically inclined (just make sure you get the thin, flat wrench that`s used to change the plates, the counterweight takes a torx screwdriver, IIRC).

The only reason to by from Griot or Meguiar`s is the lifetime replacement warranty. You might need it; my PCs have required servicing. But you can get them fixed cheaply and that warranty is pretty expensive compared to buying from Lowes, Harbor Freight, or one of the vendors here when they have a special running.

I got a Griot`s PC as a gift- nice carrying case But I also got a PC from a discount tool place and I can`t even tell them apart any more (gee, how will I know which one I can send back to Griot`s ).

If you`re willing/able to spend $200 or so, you might look into the Cyclo polisher. Some of us like it a lot better than the PC

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone seems to agree that this is one of the best prices...

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest

Lowe`s was having a sale a while back...not sure if it`s still going on.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

Much as I like the way R. Griot has turned his car hobby into a successful business (and I spend plenty of money with him ), IMO his ad copy for the PC he sells is borderline dishonest. PCs don`t build up any appreciable heat, the backing pad won`t transfer any to the paint (heh heh, it would work better if it did!) and you can get many different backing plates for a nominal cost anyhow (I like the 5" flex plate from CMA). Some of us end up with a whole bunch of different backing plates and both the 5" and 6" counterweights. Seriously, these are very minor (and inexpensive) details, and you can swap them out in minutes even if you`re not mechanically inclined (just make sure you get the thin, flat wrench that`s used to change the plates, the counterweight takes a torx screwdriver, IIRC).

The only reason to by from Griot or Meguiar`s is the lifetime replacement warranty. You might need it; my PCs have required servicing. But you can get them fixed cheaply and that warranty is pretty expensive compared to buying from Lowes, Harbor Freight, or one of the vendors here when they have a special running.

I got a Griot`s PC as a gift- nice carrying case But I also got a PC from a discount tool place and I can`t even tell them apart any more (gee, how will I know which one I can send back to Griot`s ).

If you`re willing/able to spend $200 or so, you might look into the Cyclo polisher. Some of us like it a lot better than the PC

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information