Post Thanks / Like
    I found my fathers cyclo polisher today. I thought it had been lost. I have thought about it in the past but had given up on the idea of ever finding it. He bought the thing probably about 20 years ago, Think we used it 2 or 3 times. and that was all. I was cleaning out the storage shed today and there it was in a black plastic bag in a box. It has the shoes on the thing to attach pads, best I remember they were fairly slow rpm. My question is this, It has been so long since I used it, is it worth buying some pads for this thing, all i would do with it is use a sealer on my fathers automobile, Probably the Klausse one step and then the Klausse HIgh shine or whatever it is called, Or would i be better off with the porter cable 7424. Last time I had a buffer or polisher in my hand was this one and it was 20 years ago.

Thanks in advance

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find.

It`s worth a shot investing in some velcro backing pads and some fresh new 4" polishings pad. You can apply your Klasse AIO and SG as well as polishes and compounds. There are several Cyclo fans on the boards here.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. Anyone know where I could find a selection of cyclo pads.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, welcome to Autopia :wavey

I know topoftheline carries 4" pads manufactured by Cyclo but when I get one myself I`m going to be using Lake Country 4" pads. Currently I really like them with my PC to polish out spot micromarring areas :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find indeed!!!!Learn how to use it and you`le appreciate what it can do. :xyxthumbs
    2005 Harley Softtail, 1998 Infinity QX4, 1998 ContourSVT

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Bill - I would make the investment in the Pad Holder Bonnet with Velcro for use with the interchangeable pads. As Bill indicated, you can order them from Top of The Line or Detail King at http://detailking.goemerchant7.com/ and I`m sure there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind. The Cyclo Polisher alone is quite a find. PM me if you`re not going to keep it. Another one wouldn`t hurt me at all, but seriously if I were you I would definately keep it. Good luck.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    jfoster1 - Congrats on the Cyclo! I have two of `em, and IMO they beat the PC hands down (unless you have panel contours that the PC gets into better or you need the PC`s adjustable speed).

I think you`ll find that the Cyclo is, if anything, a little *fast* for some products, not that it`s really a problem. I virtually never use my PCs, I prefer the Cyclos that much. Unless I really *need* to use something else (usually the rotary), I use the Cyclo (for everything from paint correction to final waxing).

Yeah, be sure to get the velcro pad holders if you don`t already have them. Struggling with the slip-on pads just isn`t worth it. I still have a few of the s-o ones and I doubt that I`ll *ever* bother using them. Get plenty of pads. The Cyclo`s aggressive action seems to wear the foam (so it gets much less aggressive) pretty fast compared to the PC. MF bonnets (which fit over the foam pads) also work great on the Cyclo as do the carpet scrubbing brushes.

As best I can tell, and according to Irene at TOL and Terry at CMA, the Cyclo is still the #1 choice among pros. And I can say from experience that they last forever.

So enjoy that thing! And if you *do* decide to sell it, you`ll find a buyer in no time.

Foris2- Heh heh, yeah, I`d take it too, and I already have two of `em Go ahead and spoil yourself, get a second one, it speeds things up quite a bit- product on with one, off with the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found these tips from TOl to be quite useful especially if you have only one Cyclo:

Cyclo Polishing Tips:

Two Heads are Better Than One! You can apply polish with one head while removing it and buffing it out with the other. Apply your favorite polish or swirl remover to a green pad on one Cyclo head, and leave the white pad on the other head completely dry. Angle the machine so that the white pad follows the green pad as you work across the surface. This remarkable technique will produce a perfect polishing pattern without a "missed spot" and cut clean-up time in half.

Two Heads are Better Than One! Apply your favorite liquid wax or sealant with one head and remove it with the other. Place the wax on a white pad on one Cyclo head, and cover the other pad with a terry or MicroSuede bonnet. Angle the polisher so the bonnet follows the white pad across the surface. How about that!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Foris2- Heh heh, yeah, I`d take it too, and I already have two of `em Go ahead and spoil yourself, get a second one, it speeds things up quite a bit- product on with one, off with the other.

Accumulator have you ever tried this-

You can apply polish with one head while removing it and buffing it out with the other. Apply your favorite polish or swirl remover to a green pad on one Cyclo head, and leave the white pad on the other head completely dry.

Angle the machine so that the white pad follows the green pad as you work across the surface. This remarkable technique will produce a perfect polishing pattern without a "missed spot" and cut clean-up time in half.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    He he,

that`s what i just posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, you guys..... Yeah, Anthony suggested that I try that, but when I`m doing *my* vehicles it just never seems appropriate. NOT saying it`s not a valid technique though; I should`ve thought to try it when I did that one-step job on the E-250, would`ve been perfect for that. It just didn`t occur to me

Post Thanks / Like
    ,Just PM`d Terry Think I should have PM`d forist, sorry for the mix up. Don`t know if this is where I should post this. I plugged it up and turned it on yesterday to make sure it still works. It does. I did not remeber the thing sounding so aggressive. Father is picking up his new Mercedes diesel tomorrw. I am scared to put this thing on his car. I have not run a buffer since I ran this cyclo, that has probably been 20 years ago. I think the Porter cable sounds safer.Anyway, I will send pictures,because this one looks different than the one I have seen on the web. If anyone wants pictures of this thing just send me a e-mail.

I was going to post e-mail here but I think you can send it through forum, if not just post it did not get through and I will send you my e-mail

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently was finally able to try out a Cyclo at my local detailing store. It does seem aggressive, yeah more so than the PC on 6 but I wouldnt worry. Sounds can be deceiving. The PC is noisy but not always very effective. Its definitely not as dangerous as the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    jfoster1 - Check your Personal Messages :wavey

FWIW, the Cyclo is sorta noisy, but it`s a *LOT* safer than it sounds. There`s always a pretty impressive electrical-spark-show from the motor too, but again, that`s nothing to worry about.

Bill D- Did the Cyclo demo get you all revved up? I still haven`t sent my old one in, if your plans change in the near future let me know; I keep thinking "they`re gonna replace the same stuff whether I run it into the ground or not..." and it still works fine.

[Accumulator feels kinda about how he`s neglected the servicing of that thing for so many years]

I honestly think I could just pull the housing apart, clean it out and lube it, fit new motor brushes, and it`d be good for another 20 years, but I`m sorta curious about what an expert would say after *he* looks at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

jfoster1 - Check your Personal Messages :wavey

FWIW, the Cyclo is sorta noisy, but it`s a *LOT* safer than it sounds. There`s always a pretty impressive electrical-spark-show from the motor too, but again, that`s nothing to worry about.

Bill D- Did the Cyclo demo get you all revved up? I still haven`t sent my old one in, if your plans change in the near future let me know; I keep thinking "they`re gonna replace the same stuff whether I run it into the ground or not..." and it still works fine.

[Accumulator feels kinda about how he`s neglected the servicing of that thing for so many years]

I honestly think I could just pull the housing apart, clean it out and lube it, fit new motor brushes, and it`d be good for another 20 years, but I`m sorta curious about what an expert would say after *he* looks at it.

Accumulator,

Guess what PM me when you have a chance

Thread Information