Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I am just getting started with using a buffer on my car. Someday I may buy a PC but for now I would like to get started with a less expensive tool and upgrade when I find that I am using it more or need more features. I bought this Skil Sander / Polisher tonight, it came with a wax applicator and buffing pad for $40. It has a 2.6 amp motor and a fixed speed of 12,000 OPM.

Is there any reason that I should not use this tool to get started? Am I likely to damage the paint with it?

Initially I am hoping to apply and remove wax in the future I may want to use a fine polish.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

http://www.skil.com/Products/Tools/N...htm?id=7490-01

The limited manual is at http://www.skil.com/NR/rdonlyres/eqp...+2-03+7490.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi BruceWard...

I would be quite hesitant about the 12,000 OPM fixed speed on the Skil. I would think that the Skil could actually generate enough heat to burn paint. Plus, it doesn`t give you the flexibility to apply different products like waxes, sealants, compounds.

I would reconsider returning the Skil and saving up for the PC. The PC is a very user friendly power tool which really does wonders. Plus it is backed by many Autopians who have tested and gave it a seal of approval. And there are many more options as far as pads and backing plates. Plus the PC will allow you to work a larger area.

This is just my opinion.

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also save up for the PC, even if it means applying products by hand for another month or two. I`ve used Skil products for wood working and the such, but never paint care. It looks like this is much more made for sanding and not really towards the paint care. I love my PC. Check the different site sponsors. You should be able to find the PC alone for about $125-150. I know a lot of places like Detailer`s Paradise have packages. I bought mine from Nick @ Detailer`s Paradise and I got the PC, case, hook & loop (i.e. velcro) backing pad, an assortment of pads and some 1z polishes for $235. Quite a deal plus Nick`s service is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought and used a PC for the first time yesterday. All i can say is: wow - i`mpressed !

I`ve been using WEN random orbit buffers (6inch and 10 inch) for about a year or so. All of the restricitions that i used to experience (i.e. like trying to get into creases, or tight spots/corners) with the WEN tools have gone away. The final result also looks superiror on my car.

Controlling the speed is necessary (do-able with the PC) and i would anticipate some problems with the SKil spinning at 12,000. But looking at the picture above, i would say that one of the biggest problems that you`ll experience trying to use the SKIL is the rigidity of the application surface (pad, backing plate) and the overall design when trying to manouver contours, tight spots etc....I think that the SKIL will be hard to use and you may actually revert back to using your hands.

I wasted my money on the WEN products when i knew that i would eventually a PC.

I am very happy with my investment into a PC.

Bob
    2004 Nissan Maxima SE (silver with black leather)

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Return the Skil.

The speed is TWICE as fast as the PC, and I seldom use the PC`s highet speed.

The selection of pads for that sander is likely very linited...

Most importantly, if wax application and removal is your primary goal, most contemporary products are designed for "easy on/easy off". Doing it by hand is not difficult, and even the PC doesn`t make it much easiar...

Meguiar`s #16, #20, #26, NXT Tech Wax, Eagle One`s Nanowax, and P21S, are just a few of a long list of waxes that would do a FINE job when applied by hand.

Save the money.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    BruceWard,

The random orbital sander is a good alternative, but the lack of speed adjustment is the concerning thing with the Skil. If you can get a speed adjustable version, then go for it, otherwise take that back and save for a PC.
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well..I`m a nebie to all of thei and for the past two months I`ve used a combination of elbow greese and the Wen orbital 10 inch.

Both work quiet fine actually..the Wen is good enough for wax off using Meg`s 26 and even the Pinnical waxes...But not good enough for the polishing I`ve found. Unless that is I`ve just been leaving it on too much..but for 20 bucks..the Wen is well worth the investment...save yourself 20 dollars ....returtn the Skill and buy the Wen if you need to use somthing :--)

Thread Information