Post Thanks / Like
    After years of using a POS Waxmaster orbital polisher I`m planning to pick up one of those nice PC or DeWalt polishers...but confused on which one to get.

After several days of lurking this forum, it looks like the PC is the most popular one...but after reading the hall of fame thread about polishers, it looks like the rotary polishers are the best.

Can someone clear the confusion for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to autopia

A rotary polisher can correct the most paint damage but it can also do the most harm to your paint if you arent very carefull.

The pc is probably the most popular random orbital polisher on this board. With the pc you will be able to improve your paint beyond what you could do by hand plus its very safe to use, very slight chance of damaging your paint.

To add to your confusion. Have you read the threads on the cyclo polisher?
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks!

for people who damage their paint using a rotary polisher, is it because of using a too high RPM and/or applying too much pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotary polishers are the best if you know how to use one properly - but in untrained hands they can do alot of damage. As you mention they rotate at high speed which causes alot of friction/heat which can lead to serious damage to your clearcoat or paintwork.

The PC is the safest option IMO - even an idot like me can use it with great results!

Also there is loads of help and advice available here at Autopia when you encounter a problem due to the large amount of Autopians that own one. That`s a big plus point.
    My name`s Craig...

...and I`m addicted to detailing!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The natural progression from a ‘Waxmaster’ would be the Porter-Cable or Cyclo polisher. The full name of a rotary is a High-Speed Rotary Polisher (0 - 3,000 rpm –10 amp motor) as has been suggested in inexperienced hands they are capable of doing serious damage to a paint surface.

The PC has a 3-amp motor and 2,000 – 6,000 orbits per minute ( safe enough for even an idiot like me

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by sw20_og

After years of using a POS Waxmaster orbital polisher I`m planning to pick up one of those nice PC or DeWalt polishers...but confused on which one to get.

After several days of lurking this forum, it looks like the PC is the most popular one...but after reading the hall of fame thread about polishers, it looks like the rotary polishers are the best.

Can someone clear the confusion for me?

You might need both. I would recommend the PC first and then later on in life get a rotary. PC would be used for minor swirls, waxing, wax removal, carpet washing, etc. Rotary would be used to really bad paint where you are willing to take a higher risk to correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started off the same way and now own both a pc and rotary. Just got the rotary and will soon be practicing with scrap
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    And with a rotary, even skilled, experienced operators sometimes get holograms. The PC/Cyclo is the perfect tool for removing these, so it`s not really an either/or situation.

sw20_og- Not just from that, but from moving the machine too fast over the area (product doesn`t break down properly), letting the machine pause in an area for too long (you`ll see this at the end of the "stroke" if you move it back and forth), and there are also :nixweiss situations where you`d swear you did everything right, but got `em anyhow. But it`s not like it`s a common occurance if you work carefully with products you`re accustomed to.

As for the Cyclo, I wonder if anyone`s bought one and *NOT* been pleased with it. I understand all the arguments why the PC is the "better" choice for most people, but those of us with Cyclos always seem to think that they are the better polishing tool for many/most situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm..re:Cyclo, is there any prevailing brand of 4" pads all of you use? I`ve still heard squat from Lake Country regarding availiblity. I see the ones sold by TOL are different colors. What is the identity of the manufacturer of those?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by pugoman

The PC is the safest option IMO - even an idot like me can use it with great results!

Thanks for that

Im going to get one now for sure because I was really worried my "idiot" self would screw something up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

Hmm..re:Cyclo, is there any prevailing brand of 4" pads all of you use? I`ve still heard squat from Lake Country regarding availiblity. I see the ones sold by TOL are different colors. What is the identity of the manufacturer of those?

The only pads for the Cyclo that I know of are the ones made by the makers of the Cyclo (Cyclo Toolmakers, Inc.) and distributed on various sites like TOL, CMA, etc.

I like the cyclo very much, but it isn`t without its downsides. I don`t like the way the pads slightly rub against each other, causing a good amount of small foam pieces to fly off and get all over the paint. If you run the cyclo unloaded, the rubber pad holders will rub against each other too. This really isn`t a big deal as I really don`t have any reason to run the machine unloaded, but the foam pads rubbing is a real PITA. The good news is that according to AnthonyOrosco, this pad rubbing/shedding thing goes away after a while. Do any other cyclo users have this prob?

Despite all that, I like the cyclo better than the PC because it runs quieter (motor sounds cooler too!), has less vibration or feels better balanced, is more comfortable to hold and doesn`t bog down as much as the PC. However, in terms of swirl-removal, it doesn`t do much more than what a PC can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Intermezzo- You`re still having the rubbing issue? I was thinking about it the other day when using one of mine, no bits of foam flying here, and I ran it unloaded too, no rubber backing pieces rubbing either...:nixweiss Maybe I don`t get the rubber rubbing because my backing things are so old, but I don`t think I`ve *ever* had the pads rub enough to leave a lot of foam on the car. They`re supposed to rub a little- you know, the "overlapping pads" bit, but still... Maybe you oughta have Steve look at it afterall. Glad to hear you like it, though.

BillD- What Intermezzo said about the pads :xyxthumbs , though a few of us cut up larger pads for more options.

I *do* think the Cyclo can do marring removal better than the PC, though it`s sure not a rotary either. Just the no-bogging makes it more effective, IMO. When I first started using the PC (after years with the Cyclo), I wondered if the PC was working OK, it was so much milder. And !oh man! is the Cyclo more pleasant for extended polishing sessions.

Heh heh, are we gonna tempt you into a Cyclo even though you have the PC and your new rotary? [evil-grin smiley]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only been using the Cyclo since December and I simply love it. I cannot say anything about the PC because when compareing the two I choose the Cyclo for various reasons. Nor have I ever had a problem with the pads rubbing together. I also use the Makita 9227 - and very happy and satisfied with both machines.

Foris
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for your information. After further lurking on the forum I`m leaning towards picking up the PC orbital. If it`s that foolproof and if it does the job, then I won`t mind having one.

I`ll soon be posting pictures of three cars I`ve been working on using my POS waxmaster and over the counter products...hope you guys can give me some input on my work.

Thanks again.

Thread Information