Post Thanks / Like
    Just kinda wondering.....I have a buffer but I dont think its the same thing. What kind of advantages do you get by using one and are they hard to learn to use? If they are hard I think I`ll stick to doing it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to define what you have when you say that you have a `buffer`.

There are 2 basic machines that people use here: 1) is a dual action random orbit machine aka Porter Cable 7424, 7336 - very safe and easy to use - most people use this type of machine - makes for quick application and removal of sealants, various polishes, etc. 2) Rotary, i don`t know any of the model numbers off the top of my head but DeWalt and Makita are ones I hear about most often - these are usually reserved for people that know what they are doing - Rotaries can do wonders in the hands of a pro but it can also mean a whole lot of trouble in the wrong hands.

Do a SEARCH for `PC7424` or ROTARY for more info. And get the electronic book that David provides - it will give you the low down on everything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the one that I have is just a little buffer that I picked up at walmart called and MVP something buffer/polisher. I suppose this is what most people use.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two kinds of buffers that people here use. The first kind is an orbital, the second is a rotary. I`ve copied and pasted some info I posted on another board which explains both a bit more. Hope this helps.

Bill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I heard that using machines to polish isn’t safe. Someone told me that I could burn a hole in my paint. Is this true?

A: It depends on the machine. Rotaries can definitely burn a hole in paint even when used by an experienced professional. A random orbital polisher like the PC is completely safe even for a total beginner.

Q: What is the difference between a rotary and an orbital? Why is one safe and the other isn’t?

A: Rotaries spin in a consistent circle. If you leave it on the same spot for too long then the heat generated by the consistent motion can burn a hole in your paint. Conversely, an orbital does not spin in a consistent circle, but rather a random spinning motion. This randomness makes the polisher safe (regardless of how long it is left in the same spot) because it does not generate anywhere near the same amount of heat as a rotary.

Q: If heat is so bad, why do people use rotaries?

A: It`s not that the heat is bad. The heat is necessary to break down the abrasives in many polishes, as well as break down the paint to the point where deep surface imperfections can be removed. Heat is a necessary ingredient for adresing serious paint imperfections.

Q: How is the PC so much better than my hand if it does not generate a lot of heat?

A: True, the PC may be safe and produce minimal heat. But it does have the ability to produce more even and uniform results that are not achievable by hand. The PC may not produce the heat of a rotary, but it still does an excellent job of breaking down the abrasives in medium to fine polishes. Your hand will have a hard time breaking down any abrasive in any polish.

Q: I already have a craftsman (or other brand that’s not a PC) orbital. Is this ok to use instead?

A: No. Most other orbitals are one speed (the PC is six) and their motors bog down as soon as they touch your paint rendering them useless. The biggest advantages of the PC are it’s variable speeds and strong motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow thanks guys now I know exactly what I need....btw what does a PC stand for and where can I get one AND for about how much?

Post Thanks / Like
    PC stands for porter cable. The name of the company that makes the machine. The model number you want is either the the 7336 or 7424. More info on the differences between the two:

Q: What is the difference between the 7424 and 7336 models?

A: The 7424 comes packaged with a 5†counterweight while the 7336 comes with a 6“ counterweight. Other than this the machines are identical.

Q: Why should I care about this?

A: The purpose of the weight is to minimize the vibration of the machine when using it with different size backing plates. You should always match backing plate diameter with counterweight size. For example, 6†plate with a 6†counter weight, and so on. Since most foam pads on the market are made in 6†diameters or greater, this necessitates the purchase of a 6†backing plate, and thus a 6†counterweight. This makes the 7336 the ideal model because it comes with the 6†weight.

The 7336 can be purchased at lowes for like 110 bucks. Or you can go to coastaltool.com and buy the 7424 kit with the 6" weight. Can`t remember how much tho.

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    It says at CoastalTool that the 7336 is a sander....Do they function the same way (ie, speed adustments, etc)

Can this also be used by a novice and acheive the same results?
    2003 Imola Red M3 SMG

Acura Integra Turbo 11.2@12x.xx

First Time out

Stock motor/ block

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    can a PC be damaged because Im using a 5" counterweight instead of a 6" on 6" pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    vapore0n,

It depends on who you ask. Some users claim that they feel no difference beween the 5 and 6" CW, while others notice extra vibrations if using a 5" CW with a 6" pad. Furthermore, the people that do feel extra vibrations are split on whether it is actually damaging the machine.

I prefer to match CW with pad size, and I would suggest that other people follow that guide as well, if only to be on the safe side. You can buy CW`s online from CMA or visit your local authorized PC dealer. They can order one for you. They only cost like 3 bucks.

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool thanks, that wil be on my list of things to get for the next online order.

Thread Information