Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered many times, but I did a search and couldn`t find a definitive answer.

Is there a difference between a "dual action" and an "orbital" buffer or are they the same thing?

In particular, I`m wondering about the Meguiar`s G-100 "dual action" polisher. On their site it says this machine is "specially made for Meguiar`s" and is smaller and lighter than "the older style orbital machines".

Does anyone have one of these and are there any other differences other than the "smaller and lighter" bit?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    This machine is exactly the same as the Porter Cable 7424/7336/ et al that we talk about here constantly. IIRC, the only diff between the regular PC model and the Meguiars model are a couple of accessories and the warranty (Meguiars is lifetime, I think).

"Orbital" action and "dual" action is the same thing just described differently. The head spins in an orbital pattern, not a circular one. The PC machines are much better than the old style orbital buffers you can buy at parts stores and other places.

You might find this link helpful: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=24
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    G100 = PC7424

Dual Actions are different than Random Orbitals. One of the Meguiar`s online clinic video`s describes how a DA works.

The Porter Cable DA isn`t heavy nor light. It`s somewhere in between. Most quality rotary weigh more than the PC but most cheap RO weigh less than a PC so it`s right in the middle.
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies.

If the G-100 really is the PC 7424 (and I don`t doubt it is), what`s this "Made especially for us by Porter Cable" business?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Meguiar`s polisher was pitched to me as the same machine as the PC, except with a lifetime warranty. It also looked the same except with a Meguiar`s sticker on it. I believe price was comparable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ben54

The Meguiar`s polisher was pitched to me as the same machine as the PC, except with a lifetime warranty. It also looked the same except with a Meguiar`s sticker on it. I believe price was comparable.

The Meg`s PC is about $100 more than the coastaltool one. Seems way way too expensive to get a couple more accessories and that lifetime warranty...I mean, $100 extra plus their shipping?

I dropped $125 for the PC from coastal tool with the 6" counterweight and backing plate.

Thread Information