Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heh, just as we were discussing the Cyclo and having one as well as a PC, I read about this Makita polisher:

http://www.autogeek.net/bo6040.html

Now I`m wondering if this polisher can solve the issue some non rotary users who want rotary results but are too terified to try one on their car (and can`t get a piece of scrap to practice on) have.

I would really be surprised if this polisher can give the *exact same kind * of results a rotary will but I really wonder if it can come close, by that I mean, much better than a PC.

Does anyone have one of these? I assume they are fairly new? Any more information about it appreciated. Thanks.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks pretty cool, i have never seen one or used one. I use a makita rotary and love it. I also have a PC.

wondering what they mean by "random orbit with forced rotation" action (aggressive sanding and polishing)

I dont like they way that sounds, but then again i have not tried it yet to get any feedback. at 299.00 i don`t think i will be getting one anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m hoping the "aggressive sanding/polishing" description refers to its ability to polish sorta like a rotary :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like it would do about the same job. I`d get it

Post Thanks / Like
    the new makita sounds like a great all in one tool. i cant wait to hear some unbiased reviews from a consumer stand point.
    Justin
    Now Driving: 1998 Black 4Runner
    Have a nice day

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NY detailer

wondering what they mean by "random orbit with forced rotation" action (aggressive sanding and polishing)

My understanding from Cvcalean`s (sorry for the butchered spelling) review of it is that with the switch flipped, the pad no longer spins freely on its center, but is forced to rotate on its center along with forced in an orbit. While this is not a rotary as it rotates in two directions, it is not a random orbit. If all movements are forced, then there is nothing random about it.

It seems like your $300 buys more accessories if you get a Cyclo, plus you can use it on carpets and such, and I imagine it is much better balanced than the Makita. I didn`t realize the Makita was that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, now I wonder how this polisher compares to the Cyclo, as in which will produce better results.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NY detailer

at 299.00 i don`t think i will be getting one anytime soon.

If interested, here it is cheaper:

http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/makbo66varsp.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s an honest review from a Cyclo seller!

I am buying a Makita 9227 because I know that a rotary can do more than the Cyclo and much more than a PC. The rotary action, non vibrating, heats and levels paint. Much more can be corrected. This has been discussed lately on other forums with the nations leading experts..even they disagree to a point.

Although, the Cyclo can shampoo carpets (had a customer ask about the shampooing pads yesterday), the Makita is known as a very good polisher. I have seen them on Ebay for about 124 used and 168 new. Harbor Freight has them for the lowest price and free shipping.

If you have the money, both will not hurt. You always start out with the least abbrasive and work up from there. Gary in Chicago uses a Cyclo as do many other high-end detailers, but most of them will tell you they have a rotary in their arsenal for correcting oxidation, scratches, compounding scratches, etc.

I know some chemicals do contain fillers and most detailers have no idea that this is correct. I have a polish that I can use with my Cylco and when done you would swear that I removed every paint imperfection on the car. However, a few months later, you will see those spider webs and swirls again. If you don`t know about your chemicals, then you don`t really know if you removed imperfections, or filled them in....until later.

I think every detailer should have a rotary. Go to a local body shop and ask about "throw away" paint parts from jobs they have done. Take m` home and practice. I think you will like the results very much.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Robert Regan
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    WCD, thanks for the info, however the Makita being disucssed in this thread is not the 9227, but the BO6040. The BO6040 appears to be a hybrid between the 9227 and a PC.

Thanks

Cory

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m allready using it for over a year now :

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=16906

No complaints here:xyxthumbs

Christiaan

Post Thanks / Like
    $300?!? :shocked

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha! After posting I thought about that price and wondered if I had the wrong one in mind. However, I`d still go for the 9227 anyway!

Thanks, Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m only going to consider to BO6040 if it is more "idiot proof" than a rotary

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: Rotary.

I have heard from LOTS of professionals and highly respected detailers and INSTRUCTORS about how they feared the rotary, until they tried it. And now they feel uncomfortable without it.

So, I`m going rotary, and not looking back. I have the Chicago Electric machine. It was $25. If I find it adequate, I got a bargain. If it`s inadequate, I`ve wasted $25; hey, I`ve blown that on a round of drinks in a bar, or 1/2 of a jar of Souv Paste. Then I`ll get the Makita or the DeWalt. But, no more PC only. I`m learning both tools.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information