Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill D- That Makita BO6040 *does* sound interesting, and I commend you on doing thorough research as you look to move beyond the PC.

One thing to consider is the "pleasure of use" factor. *I* just plain *enjoy* using the Cyclo. Some sorta-intangibles like build quality and finish, and balance, vibration, and other ergonomic issues, just work for me. Not saying the BO6040 wouldn`t, though. Some people just *love* the ergonomics of a PC (and the BO6040 looks sorta similar), but *I* don`t. Just a personal preference thing.

And FWIW, the rotary really isn`t all *that* scary if you use common sense. Really. It doesn`t rip out of your hands, tear off moldings, automatically inflict holograms, etc. etc. I`d wager that you`ll eventually end up getting one...just wait and see

I hadn`t used a rotary in about 20 years. You "gotta practice on a beater" :nono, right? Well, when I got the S8 back from the bodyshop it had a pair of nasty scratches on the roof. After calling the shop about it and venting, and finding that a RO wouldn`t remove said scratches, I got out the (brand new) Makita. As it was a "spot repair", I fitted a 4" plate and experimented with pads/polishes (1Z) until I`d removed the scratches. Followed up with the PC, again, with a 4" pad. No problems at all. You`re wise to be concerned with how "idiot-proof" a rotary is, but I`ll posit that you`re not an idiot

I guess I`m sorta old-fashioned about "tool-for-the-job" issues. I like having the PC/Cyclo/rotary instead of a multi-purpose/mode polisher, just as I`d rather use a bunch of fixed-size wrenches instead of a crescent wrench. But I can sure understand how someone else would go the other way. And everyone should try to find the tool(s) that *they* like using.

Guess you have some more cogitatin` to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

, but I`ll posit that you`re not an idiot

Thank Accumulator, I needed to hear that today especially given these computer problems I`ve been having, I hope I got them resolved

Like Mosca did, I think I may gamble a few bucks and get a "starter rotary" and give it a shot some time. I could try online as I believe the Vector rotary sold in Pep Boys is even cheaper from Harbor Freight.

Ha ha, some day down the road I may just have `em all and I`ll have some justification for buying each machine I did
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information