Post Thanks / Like
    These terms get mixed up alot. a dual action polisher is actually an orbital buffer, right ?? when you use a random polisher it is called buffing, right ??

Anyways, i am asking for opinions. what do you guys use ?? i know the porter cable is super popular but does anyone use random polishers ?? i have a plain jane orbital buffer and want to move up to the porter cable. i used a random polisher at work on a co-workers bimmer and the car came out really well. I used it only at speed number 2 and kept it moving. i used 2 different pads and 2 different products that we have at the dealer. should I just use the polisher ?? i am confused :nixweiss

what about those wavy swirl marks that a polisher can leave ?? i did not leave any on this car but does that mean that it will neer happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the terminology gets mixed up a bit. That`s why we use acronyms and other terms, it adds clarity to the discussion.

The Porter Cable 7424 and all its variants (aka PC) is the machine of choice around here and that`s probably the one you should buy. There really isn`t another machine like it on the market, at least not targeted towards car enthusiasts.

The big orbital buffers sold at Sears or wherever are OK for the casual enthusiast who only wants to use a cleaner wax product. But they simply don`t have the ability to remove paint defects.

Next step above a PC is a rotary polisher. They operate at high speeds and can really do a fantastic job if used properly. They also can seriously damage your paint if used improperly. Those swirl marks you`re talking about are made by the misuse of a rotary polisher. Its not hard to screw up perfectly good paint with one of those machine, I can tell you that.

About $200-250 will get you a PC, a velcro backing plate, and some foam pads. Spend some time reading posts about PC`s (its probably the most discussed thing here) and you`ll learn a lot.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Thread Information