Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if anyone has tried this polisher out yet? As I`m in market to purchase a PC, I was looking through Classic Motoring website and came upon this in their new products section. I guess it would save money down the road if I ever do decide to try using a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    bboy,

The new Makita is NOT "new" but rather it is about 5 years old and it is NOT a true rotary so if you want a true rotary then you`ll need to buy a true rotary.

What the Makita unit is that you are talking about is an over-priced PC that has a spinning pad like a rotary.

The Makita machine in question is better described as a Cyclo polisher with 1 pad instead fo two. IMHO you are better off with a Cyclo.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a review from another member: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...=Makita+BO6040

I just ordered one...I have PC`s and a rotary. I`ll let you know what I think of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone on this site says PC, which I have surmised is Porter Cable, but which one?

The 7" ? Where do you get one? I do all my work by hand, but I`m considering tackling some restores for friends and would need the machine.

Thanks.
    --Sly

2004 Torch Red / Mod Red Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Slythetove

Everyone on this site says PC, which I have surmised is Porter Cable, but which one?

The 7" ? Where do you get one? I do all my work by hand, but I`m considering tackling some restores for friends and would need the machine.

Thanks.

The word "restores" caught my attention and just to let you know if you truly plan on doing some heavy buffing and polishing the PC will in no way help you out. For leveling paint down you will need a high speed rotary and an assortment of pads.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I do everything by hand, I guess I figured that is what the PC was.

If it`s not then what do you recommend?
    --Sly

2004 Torch Red / Mod Red Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC is designed or is best suited as a polish/glaze applicator. Or to apply waxes and sealants but to remove moderate to heavy swirls/scracthes or paint blemishes you will need heat and friction and the PC just doesn`t generate enough heat and friction to properly level the paint.

When you are working with paint that has mild or fine swirls/scratches you may be able to get away with just the PC, various pads and polishes but the heavier work must be done with a rotary. A scratch or swirl is not removed really but rather you are leveling down the paint to the "level" of the scratch.

I use and see the PC, as well as the Cyclo, as tools for either new cars or as a final polisher AFTER I have used my rotary to get the desired results. If you are just beginning them I would not suggest you go right out and buy a rotary because in unexperienced hands a rotary can cause alot of damage. I would first get familiar with how a rotary works on junk panels and then start on paying clients only after you have lots of practice under your belt.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

Thread Information