Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering if there are any polishers out there that are cheaper than the PC but give close performance b/c i don`t really want to spend that much on one right now. i found this one on ebay how would it compare to the PC or is it like apples and oranges? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35000

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    2200 RPM is waay too fast for polishing. Just wait until you can save enough for the proper tool.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that it sounds like you didn`t notice is that that particular one appears to be a ROTARY and a PC is an ORBITAL. You would have to be a lot more carful with a rotary and it probably wouldn`t be that good for applying waxes like an orbital would be. People seem to use rotarys from ~1000-1700 rpm, while people will crank their PC`s up all the way. If you want to learn rotary, feel free too, but people really urge you to get a PC or equivalent orbital. I, on the other hand, am looking into learning to use a rotary first; I have never used a PC. Problems with a rotary include hologramic buffer swirls and actually burning through the paint and or clearcoat from the heat that is created.

I hope i`VE GIVEN you some insight into the world of power paint tools. Laptop keyboards suck. Too small and funny.
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I must agree...if you`re going to save up for one tool...save up for the PC...Lowes....$109. I got mine 2 weeks ago and I`ve been polishing my 3 cars, neighbors cars, countertop....I love this thing. It works great and it`s much more difficult to screw up paint....although it CAN be done if you work at it.

"Be right in , honey...almost done!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d be wary of that rotary on e-bay. I think the PC is the way to go. Check Coastal Tool. They have good deal on the PC and you get some extra bonus stuff for free (a velcro backing plate and the 6" counter weight).

unclearty, you mentioned you used your PC on a countertop. What kind of material was the counter? What type of polish did you use? I would love to shine up the formica counters in my kitchen, but don`t know what to use.
    `95 BMW M3 Alpine White

`01 BMW 330Ci Silver

`02 Toyota Tundra Black

`90 BMW 325i Calypso Red(Sold)

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...&threadid=7010

Tried AIO and PC on Formica. Made it smoother, but eh, just left it as is after that. Didn`t make much of a difference. Just a quick wipe with a MF on Formica does the trick for me.

Anyway back to topic. Stick with the PC or venture into the world of rotary if needed to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats wrong w/this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42286

I bought mine on ebay and since I only use it a few times a year I sure dont need a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kempie

Whats wrong w/this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42286

I bought mine on ebay and since I only use it a few times a year I sure dont need a new one.
    Nothing. The 7335 is pretty much just like the 7424 except for the pads and extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, 86CV were you the one that got that bargin? If not keep looking...

Post Thanks / Like
    nope, wasn`t me . But like u said i will keep looking for a deal but for now my car is looking pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the Dewalt orbital polisher equally as good to the PC , from what I hear the Porter Cable cannot be matched but was just wondering because some auto detailing stores say they are?

But now that I think about it I should just shut up and go buy a PC, and I bet u agree.

P.s. I have searched and looked up many of the processes that people use on their cars, but is their anybody with a 15yr or older car with the original paint job, and if so what process works best for you that I could adapt to my car conditions? Considering I have some slight oxidation, and swirl problems?

Thanks

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 86CV

Is the Dewalt orbital polisher equally as good to the PC , from what I hear the Porter Cable cannot be matched but was just wondering because some auto detailing stores say they are?

But now that I think about it I should just shut up and go buy a PC, and I bet u agree.

P.s. I have searched and looked up many of the processes that people use on their cars, but is their anybody with a 15yr or older car with the original paint job, and if so what process works best for you that I could adapt to my car conditions? Considering I have some slight oxidation, and swirl problems?

Thanks
    Try searching for DW443. The porter cable comes with all the accessories already, but the DeWalt is apparantly the more powerful of the two. I don`t know if I would assume that automatically means better but you can`t go wrong either way.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Thread Information