Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATED 01/07/2003

I was considering buying a PC, so I was being a good boy and wringing the search engine and reading up on the subject. The problem is, I see many threads about people (especially my fellow Canadians) struggling to combine backing pads, counterweights, and foam buffing pads. After spending a couple hours reading a zillion threads and posts, my head was spinning!! So I`ve decided to compile one information packed thread with all the info I can gather in one place with the important differences between the various models and parts specifications to (hopefully) make accessory buying less confusing.

This wasn`t written as a "what exact stuff to buy" thread or "how to use the PC" thread and is more of a reference guide and resource for people considering their purchasing options.

---->> For an excellent writeup about what the PC is, what you should buy with it or for it, and all the answers that you`re looking for that this thread does NOT cover, check out this perfect companion thread written by our own Geekysteve over at Roadfly: Detailer`s Dream: Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

Porter Cable dual action random orbital buffer / polisher / sander

2500-6000 opm (orbits per minute)

3.7 amps, AC motor

5/16", 24 thread shaft / spindle diameter (aka "5/16-24")

5/32" eccentric offset (orbit radius)

5.75 lbs weight

10" length (body)

<14" size of box needed incl. cord sheath

4" width

4.5" height

+5.5" with side handle

Model 7424 polisher includes 5 inch counterweight, 6 inch polishing pad 54745 *

Model 7424SP sander/polisher includes 5 inch counterweight, 6 inch polishing pad 54745, 5 inch sanding pad 13700, Meguiar`s cleaner wax

Model 7335 sander includes 5 inch counterweight, 5 inch sanding pad 13700

Model 7336 sander includes 6 inch counterweight, 6 inch sanding pad 16000

Model 7336SP sander/polisher includes 6 inch counterweight, 6 inch sanding pad 16000, 6 inch polishing pad 54745, possibly wax also

Models 97355 and 97366 are just the 7335 and 7336 with dust collection parts

BACKING PADS & COUNTERWEIGHTS

Meguiar`s W-64DA backing pad is 5" diameter

Classic Motoring Accessories (CMA) VBP-6 backing pad is 6" diameter

Griot`s Garage backing pad for their 7336 is actually Porter Cable 18001 6" sanding pad (Thanks to Len_A for this info)

3m Hookit pads - all these pads are yellow and NOT to be confused with Hookit II:

Hookit Disc Pad 05775 is 5" (tapered edge)

Hookit Disc Pad 05776 is 6" (tapered edge)

Hookit Low Profile Disc Pad 05755 is 5" (almost flat edge)

Hookit Low Profile Disc Pad 05756 is 6" (almost flat edge)

All the above pads are velcro backed.

Porter Cable sanding pads:

5" standard (solid) adhesive-backed (non-velcro) pad 13700 (comes with 7424sp, 7335)

6" standard (solid) adhesive-backed (non-velcro) pad 16000 (comes with 7336, 7336sp)

5" 5-hole Hook & Loop (velcro) pad 15000 (standard), and pad 15001 ("contour" type - softer, thicker for PC`s really thin polishing pads)

6" 6-hole Hook & Loop (velcro) pad 18001 (standard) (comes with Griot`s 7336 PC), and pad 18002 ("contour") (comes with Coastal Tool`s 7424 bonus kit)

Porter Cable counterweights (see above for equipped models):

5" Counterweight 874011

6" Counterweight 699933

Counterweights are attached with 2 Torx screws, size 15 ( T15 ). *

Coastal Tool`s PC Accessory Page

Coastal Tool`s informative "short & skinny" on the PC

Porter Cable Sander Accessories Porter-Cable.net page showing all PC accessories with short descriptions.

Amazon.com Click on Tools & Hardware, then input the Porter Cable part numbers in the search box to see large pictures of any of the above PC accessories.

Two of the most popular PC kits and backing pads (or backup plates ) are the ones from Meguiar`s and CMA. While it has been recommended in the past to match the counterweight to the diameter of the backing pad, recent posts (deleted by the server outage) have shown users to be happier with using the heavier 6" counterweight with the 5" Meguiar`s backing pad. They report less vibration and smoother running at higher speed settings with this combination than when they were using the 5" counterweight. This seems to be the smoothest running combination (5" pad with 6" weight) especially at higher speed settings. A combination of a 6" pad (such as the CMA pad) with 6" weight also performs very well and is preferable to using the 5" weight. I spent some time testing some various combinations of weights and backing pads in this thread: PC Vibration Test which reinforces what a small number of users have told me about the 6" weight/pad combo. The current recommendation for buying a PC is to simply buy a 7336 series model or buy the PC 7424 Bonus Kit from Coastal Tool. This kit includes an extra 6" counterweight and the 18002 velcro backed sanding pad, which means you do not have to buy a separate backing plate. Alternatively you can try buying a 6" counterweight separately if you own a machine equipped with the 5" weight. People used to have trouble in the past where they had to buy a separate counterweight once they bought a 7424 and the 6" CMA kit. Buy a 7336 or Coastal Tool kit and save yourself the trouble. Your local Lowes hardware store in the US has also frequently been cited as a favourite place to locally buy the 7336SP for a low price, but unlike the Coastal Kit, it doesn`t come with a velcro plate.

Failure to get a well balanced combination of counterweight and pads MAY result in increased wear and shorter life for your PC (not to mention sore hands), especially if you run it at high speeds a lot. That is not to say you absolutely cannot use a 5" weight and your PC will self-destruct instantly, but it may not be best in the long run and it just doesn`t seem to be the best handling setup. The owner`s manual also recommends that you have your PC inspected and serviced (if needed) after about 100 hours of usage by an authorized service center.

Both 5" and 6" backing pads will work with commonly used 6.5"(or even 8") polishing pads. They do not have to match their diameter or anything, just stay firmly attached.

Some people have been attempting to make their own velcro backing pads by using self-adhesive velcro adapter (or conversion ) kits that have a "hook" pad which sticks onto the sanding pad that`s included with some PCs. (Note that all the above PC backing pads are actually for sanding.) While these are meant to be used for quickly changing sanding discs, some have already used this to successfully attach foam buffing pads. One thing that lends validity to this idea is the fact that Griot`s Garage equips their 7336 with the Porter Cable 18001 velcro sanding pad. Several other "real" velcro backing pads seem to look suspiciously like conventional sanding backing pads.

Here is an example of this being done: Making your own velcro backing plate for a PC? I have tried this myself, and find it does work, although because of the strong grip between the two velcro surfaces it can tend to pull the adapter away from the backing pad if you`re not careful.

Likewise, the above listed 3M Hookit backing pads are supposedly for sanding, but Shiny Lil Detlr likes this pad better than the Meguiar`s pad (which some say have failure problems). Hookit is NOT to be confused with the Hookit II system which has the hooks and loops reversed! 3M Hookit II Difference In 3M`s automotive section, their backing plates listed seem to be for rotary buffers and have an incompatible shaft attaching size.

I have also seen some various backing pads that are generic or made by other brands (mostly sander accessory makers). Since I don`t think there`s anything particularly specific or special about 3M or PC sanding pads I`m sure these will also work. A few pads I`ve seen even say that they will work on other brand`s sanders. Just be sure to get the correct 5/16-24 thread type and make sure it`s for an orbital (or "dual action") sander. These may or may not require a velcro adapter.

* Occasionally some people get an oddball PC with a mismatching counterweight (ie, 6" on the 7424) or different sized Torx screws (try T20 if T15 doesn`t fit).

SIDEBAR: What`s that funny black washer for? Some people who have already purchased their PC`s have been bewildered by this odd plastic or fiberboard washer that comes with their machine. According to Porter Cable, it is intended to fit between the backing pad and the spindle. The PC I bought came with this washer pre-installed on the backing pad, but often it`s loose in a bag. My personal theory for why it goes here is so that it gives additional clearance between the pad and unit so getting the wrench in between them is easier.

FOAM PADS AND KITS

I`m going to try to keep this short since others will know more, and the hardest part about PC ownership seems to be just trying to get the pads on! :p I`ve only included the smaller 6" (really 6.5") pads because they are the most handy and popular, although some prefer the larger 8" size for some jobs. This listing is NOT exhaustive, as there are lots of other makes and types of pads available out there (CMA alone has many other types).

CMA 6.5" Durofoam Variable Contact (VC) foam pads:

These pads have a dish or depression on the middle face of the pad so that they are not flat, but slightly concave - hence the "variable contact" name.

- Lambswool Leveling Pad 77-216

- Yellow Cutting Pad 46-570VC

- White Polishing Pad 46-670VC

- Grey / Gray Finishing Pad 46-770VC

- Porter Cable Accessory Kit DM-KIT (includes 6" backing pad, 1 cutting pad, 2 polishing pads, 1 finishing pad, 1 lambswool compounding pad, 2 terry bonnets)

- Detailing Accessory Package DAP-KIT (identical to above but no 6" backing pad)

- It`s worth noting that Lake Country manufactures CMA pads. If you`d like to know the exact specific type of pad that any of the above are, note the CMA part number matches the part number you can find on the Lake Country website.

CMA 4 Inch Spot Repair Pads:

CMA sells these neat little pads with their own 3.5" diameter backing plate. The pads are only 4 inches big, so they`re designed for repairing scratches and handy for polishing in tight areas. Not a lot of mention on the forum about this yet, but it sounds like a good idea. http://www.properautocare.com/4inspotreppa.html

Meguiar`s 6.5" Softbuff foam pads:

These pads are flat faced pads, unlike the CMA ones. 8 inch pads are specified by replacing the "6" with a "0" in the item number.

- Lambswool Cut `n Shine Wool Pad W-4006 (yes, they DO make this!)

- Maroon / Red / Purple Cutting Pad W-7006

- Yellow Polishing Pad W-8006

- Tan / Beige Finishing Pad W-9006

- Set of 3 Pads WDAV99-B (includes 2 polishing pads, 1 finishing pad)

- WDAV99 (identical to above kit but includes 5" backing pad and reportedly costs $8 more)

Porter Cable 6" OEM foam polishing pad:

White polishing pad with integral (permanent, possibly 5") backing plate, part number 54745 Even though Coastal Tool claims that this pad may be used with either the 5" or 6" counterweight, I have determined that (based on 2 members` experiences) that this pad works smoothly only with the 5" weight and vibrates excessively at high speeds with the 6" weight.

Porter Cable also makes a 6" lambs wool velcro backed polishing pad part number 18007

Porter Cable Polishing Pads Porter-Cable.net page showing PC polishing pads mentioned above.

3M makes good pads, but only their 6.75" Perfect-it DA Glazing Pad 05729 is smaller than 8 inches. It appears that this pad is intended for use only with glazes and wax application, not polishing, so it may not be best suited for that use. Several members here like these type of pads with their convoluted foam face design that looks like fingers or a waffle type. These other pads are meant for rotary buffers and are 8" or larger, but might work with the PC.

Link to all of 3M`s polishing stuff (except backing pads)

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

There are also many other pads and backing pads available from other vendors such as Top of the Line and 4 Star Products Premium Auto Care. Unfortunately Motorhead.net has gone out of business. Lake Country Mfg is the actual manufacturer of CMA`s pads and for a few other companies. If someone would like to write up a pad comparison between makes please be my guest!

LINKS

www.properautocare.com (aka CMA)

www.meguiars.com (also have a tutorial about PC usage)

www.griotsgarage.com (be sure to download his useful guide to PC usage in PDF format)

www.portercable.com

www.coastaltool.com

Geekysteve posted this later on in this thread, but here it is for easier access:

PC How-To (Basic) Geekysteve`s PC Usage Guide posted over at Roadfly

Also check out Alboston`s Buffing out swirl marks and scratches with your Porter cable 7336 article also posted in the Member Articles section.

I hope this is useful to everyone and if anyone would like me to make any corrections, additions, or would like to comment PLEASE shoot me a PM and I`ll edit my post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Thanks for all the info. I spent nearly 2 days reading up on PC info before I bought my 7336SP from Lowes and a velcro backing plate/yellow cutting pad/white polishing pad from CMA. If only I had this thread before! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post! The only thing I would add is that I got a 7424 at Canadian Tire and I got the 6" Counterweight. This is confirmed, as I just got the 6" counterweight from paco and it`s identical to the one already on my machine. I don`t know if it was a one-off mistake or not though.

Post Thanks / Like
    haha... now this is a great thread!! Too bad I JUST accumulated the very same information and JUST got my PC and accessories!

Quick question... is the meg`s grey "finishing" pad used to apply wax or is it used to buff ? ... stupid question.. i know..

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m curious:

I bought my PC directly through Meguiar`s and it came with the W-DA64. If it is indeed 5" (yep, sure is...), why does meguiar`s send out a 7336sp with a 6" counterweight from the factory?? No wonder my polisher feels so "jiggly" when I use it....

I guess I`ll have to look into that.....

oh, and for those interested in trying the 3M Hook-It backing plate which is what I use, the part number is (for a 5" plate..)

#05775.

Also for the 6" version of the same, its number:

#05776.

:wavey

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by slimborama

haha... now this is a great thread!! Too bad I JUST accumulated the very same information and JUST got my PC and accessories!

Quick question... is the meg`s grey "finishing" pad used to apply wax or is it used to buff ? ... stupid question.. i know..

meg`s finishing pad is actually tan in color, and it can be used either way - to buff or wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent thread... thanks. If someone has both the 5" weight and the 6" counterweight would they please weigh the weights and tell us the difference.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great post! A perfect example of what Autopia is all about!

Thanks!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, you are the man!!! Thank you for all of the great info! I`m going to print up your post and take it home depot with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post!

David should put this in one of the locked forums!

Post Thanks / Like
    W7006 - Cutting (red/brown)

W8006 - Polishing (yellow)

W9006 - Finishing (tan/very light yellow)

ejant - the Finishing pads is actually tan in colour rather than yellow.

Oh yeah, one of the best posts here in a couple of weeks! Take a and :up :up up.

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow..nice job...:xyxthumbs
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread!!!!!!!!:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently in the market for a PC so thanks so much for this thread. I have a question. I didn`t know that some vendors sold the PC with a 5" pad while others sold a 6".

Why does the counter weigh size have to match the pad size.

Is it a vibration issue, a compatiblity issue, or what. I`m sure it would be obvious if I saw one up close and personal, but my local home improvement store doesn`t stock the PC. I`m planning on ordering on-line.

Thanks for the thread and your help.

Rob
    I don`t know Doc...my elbow seems to hurt all the time....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, just trying to help out.

2wheelsx2 - I remember that now, and I seem to recall some other people having this issue, but can`t seem to find the threads now. Oh well. :nixweiss

im-kruzin - Match the counterweight to the backing plate, not the pad since the pad weighs next to nothing by comparison. It`s a vibration issue only and you can run mismatching weights and backing pads, but people have reported more vibration at higher speeds. BUT, you will also shorten the life of your machine this way. :nono

I`ve added the Torx screw info, added some of the oddball issues breifly (like the Torx screw thing RX-8 had) ,and included a few more pad sources.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information