Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE

I`ve added a link near the beginning of the post pointing to Geekysteve`s great PC description writeup at Roadfly. :xyxthumbs It`s the perfect thing to read if you want to know all about the PC and fills in the info that my thread doesn`t cover.

A mention of the famous Lowes source for the 7336sp has been added.

Last, I`ve also added a more clear explaination that the Coastal Tool kit comes with a velcro backing plate, since this kit has recently been shown to be an attractive buy.

Links verified too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody know where I can get the 6" counterbalance without paying sky high shipping rates? I could get it at coastaltool for a dollar something but I end up paying $7.50 in shipping! I looked at amazon but they don`t carry it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, before you go mail ordering from CMA, your local body shop might have the same stuff. CMA pads are ones they order with their name on it but I found at my local store the exact same pads with a different label, it was the same price too. I found my local dealer by searching for 3M and Meguiar dealers.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    phareous - You will have to see if you can find a Porter Cable repair center (or maybe a dealer/distributor?) in your area that can get Porter Cable parts. Otherwise you`re stuck with mail order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing your research and constantly updating it as well. Definitely one of the most popular and informative threads around. I was reading it again and discovered a $5 discount at Coastal (search "PC Group Buy"). Coastal`s site says the bonus kit includes a "hoop and loop contour pad" as compared to velcro-backed pad mentioned in a lot of other threads. Does that mean the Coastal package may need the "DM" kit from CMA instead of the less expensive "DAP" kit? I am slightly puzzled.

A previous post mentioned "shipping". Well, out here in the middle of the Pacific, it`s just a "fact of life" for those of us lucky to live in Hawaii.

Aloha!

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by solara

......Coastal`s site says the bonus kit includes a "hoop and loop contour pad" as compared to velcro-backed pad mentioned in a lot of other threads. Does that mean the Coastal package may need the "DM" kit from CMA instead of the less expensive "DAP" kit? I am slightly puzzled.
    "Hook and loop" is just a generic way of saying "Velcro" which is a registered trademark. Kind of like saying "cotton swabs" instead of "Q-Tips".

So really I suppose, if you get the Coastal package you probably only need the DAP kit which doesn`t include a backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it safe to use 3m 8" pads on a PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    *shrug* :nixweiss Sure, I don`t see why not. It just might be on the big side. I think people have done this, but not very many. Maybe sift through some of the older threads with the key "waffle pads".

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered the 7424 with the 6" bonus kit for $119 from Coastal today. If Lowes is carrying the 7336 for $110 (mentioned somewhere but I don`t know how current that is) then adding the velcro backing pad puts you about where Coastal is.

My confusion is there seems to be no spot in this thread where someone goes out on a limb and recommends the set of pads you should get as a starter kit.

One pad I haven`t seen mentioned is a grey pad that David told me works well with Klasse all-in-one.

Anyone feel brave enough to go out on a limb and recommend a list of pads to get?

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    zenhog, take a look at this article by our own geekysteve -- He gets into pad selection on page 3. Everybody seems to suggest either CMA or Top of the Line, 2 each (minimum) of the yellow, white, and grey/black pads. General consensus seems to be that Lake Country Mfg pads are top-notch, but some folks also swear by Meguiars pads. If you have some heavy-duty compounding to do, you may also want some wool pads. If you do some further searching on Autopia, you`ll find more detailed guidance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn, the ink was barely dry and you jumped in to help. Thanks!

Since my CP is showing up tomorrow I`ll have to take a chance on what I find in our local paint supply store - hopefully the meguiar pads. And I`ll order the ones he mentions on page 3 to experiment.

Thanks again!

Craig

Better detailing through chemistry

z

Post Thanks / Like
    Load up the logic steps and variables boyz - I`ll put some time in on the visio chart this weekend and maybe in another couple of passes we can have this done!

Craig

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know where to buy this stuff in Canada (including the PC itself)? I`m in Edmonton, Alberta by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow .....I haven`t been on the board for awhile.

Anyway.....PM me and I can give you a run down of where to go.

I just don`t know what "stuff" you mean.

Also search and you may find a source post I did awhile back.

Cheers

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I`m very impressed with the meticulous research and insightful comments".

Thanks it`s answered a lot of my questions.

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information