Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome post geekysteve

I shoulda read your "how to" today before attempting to use my PC for the first time. Your primer would have saved me some major headaches. Now I know for the next time.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just about to purchase the PC 7424, now I see the 7336 will work just as well. That gives me two advantages, (1) saves me about $30 (Shipping costs included) and (2) I don`t have wait to order online; I can drive right down to the local Lowe`s and pick it up for $110. (They didn`t carry the 7424 model). Thanks for the threads geekysteve and 4DSC! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I did an update today to verify the links and make some cosmetic touchups to improve readability. I also noted the apparent link between the part numbers for CMA pads and Lake Country Mfg pads so people can find out their exact design if they want.

No content has been changed in any meaningful way.

Links to Geekysteve`s PC usage guide and Alboston`s swirl removal article were added to the end of the thread, and, at the suggestion of another member :up , I wrote a small paragraph describing what that darned mysterious black washer is for! :p

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d never even heard of the black washer. My PC didn`t come with one. Hmmm...but what you say is probably correct Brian. There is a bit of a clearance problem, unless you angle the wrench like I do, so it probably is what that thing is for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

Two of the most popular PC kits and backing pads (or backup plates ) are the ones from Meguiar`s and CMA. While it has been recommended in the past to match the counterweight to the diameter of the backing pad, recent posts (deleted by the server outage) have shown users to be happier with using the heavier 6" counterweight with the 5" Meguiar`s backing pad. They report less vibration and smoother running at higher speed settings with this combination than when they were using the 5" counterweight. This seems to be the smoothest running combination (5" pad with 6" weight) especially at higher speed settings. A combination of a 6" pad (such as the CMA pad) with 6" weight also performs very well and is preferable to using the 5" weight. I spent some time testing some various combinations of weights and backing pads in this thread: PC Vibration Test which reinforces what a small number of users have told me about the 6" weight/pad combo. The current recommendation for buying a PC is to simply buy a 7336 series model or buy the PC 7424 Bonus Kit from Coastal Tool. This kit includes an extra 6" counterweight and the 18002 sanding pad. Alternatively you can try buying a 6" counterweight separately if you own a machine equipped with the 5" weight. People always had trouble in the past where they had to buy a separate counterweight once they bought a 7424 and the 6" CMA kit. Buy a 7336 or Coastal Tool kit and save yourself the trouble.

Failure to get a well balanced combination of counterweight and pads may result in increased wear and shorter life for your PC (not to mention sore hands), especially if you run it at high speeds a lot. The owner`s manual also recommends that you have your PC inspected and serviced (if needed) after about 100 hours of usage by an authorized service center.

I`m confused--well, a little. From what my understanding is, are you saying that you should never even bother with the 5" counterweight? I.e., use a 5" counterweight with a 5" pad?

I want to get a PC from Lowes, but I believe they carry the 7424, which is the 5" model.

CMA also carries this counterweight for around $4. Does Lowes carry this counterweight?

Also, the CMA deluxe 7424 kit is kinda pricey. All I want is a cutting, polishing, and finishing pad (one of each). Obviously I`ll need a velcro backing plate. What do you recommend I should do: should I buy Meguiar`s pads separately?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Acura_RL

I`m confused--well, a little. From what my understanding is, are you saying that you should never even bother with the 5" counterweight? I.e., use a 5" counterweight with a 5" pad?

I want to get a PC from Lowes, but I believe they carry the 7424, which is the 5" model.

CMA also carries this counterweight for around $4. Does Lowes carry this counterweight?

Also, the CMA deluxe 7424 kit is kinda pricey. All I want is a cutting, polishing, and finishing pad (one of each). Obviously I`ll need a velcro backing plate. What do you recommend I should do: should I buy Meguiar`s pads separately?
    Hmm, you know the funny thing is I don`t remember wording some of those paragraphs so strongly. :hm Then a again, it`s the impression I get from the input of lots of people regarding the counterweight issue (including some lost threads). Really, I`m just trying to say the 6" counterweight is better not dead-set required. Sure, it`ll work and probably lots of people still use the 5" weight, but it doesn`t seem to be the best setup.

As far as I know, Lowes carries the 7336, but there are no Lowes stores up here. Do a search for "lowes".

Why do I get the feeling that CMA is carrying the 6" weight because of my thread? They don`t seem too happy about having to do it too from the sound of that page. Well I still think the 6" weight is a better thing to have, no matter what they say. Hey, they also say there`s a problem with Klasse and Souveran too, so we don`t have to believe everything they suggest.

Sorry I can`t help you much with the pad situation. The only thing you can really do is just shop around and see if you can mix/match some things. Sometimes you can find Meguiar`s stuff locally. Check out Top of the Line too. HTH

Updates:

-added mention of my observations about using a velcro pad adapter

-added mention of CMA`s Spot Repair Pads

-added disclaimer to weight recommendation similar to above.

-verified links

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

Hmm, you know the funny thing is I don`t remember wording some of those paragraphs so strongly. :hm Then a again, it`s the impression I get from the input of lots of people regarding the counterweight issue (including some lost threads). Really, I`m just trying to say the 6" counterweight is better not dead-set required. Sure, it`ll work and probably lots of people still use the 5" weight, but it doesn`t seem to be the best setup.

As far as I know, Lowes carries the 7336, but there are no Lowes stores up here. Do a search for "lowes".

Why do I get the feeling that CMA is carrying the 6" weight because of my thread? They don`t seem too happy about having to do it too from the sound of that page. Well I still think the 6" weight is a better thing to have, no matter what they say. Hey, they also say there`s a problem with Klasse and Souveran too, so we don`t have to believe everything they suggest.

Sorry I can`t help you much with the pad situation. The only thing you can really do is just shop around and see if you can mix/match some things. Sometimes you can find Meguiar`s stuff locally. Check out Top of the Line too. HTH

Updates:

-added mention of my observations about using a velcro pad adapter

-added mention of CMA`s Spot Repair Pads

-added disclaimer to weight recommendation similar to above.

-verified links

LOWES has the 7336SP for $109. I bought mine from Lowes and it cut my 14 hour Polish/Wax down to 3.5 hours! Awesome little machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that clears things up. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tkr128

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I spent nearly 2 days reading up on PC info before I bought my 7336SP from Lowes and a velcro backing plate/yellow cutting pad/white polishing pad from CMA. If only I had this thread before! :up

what is CMA if you dont mind? im wondering because i want to find a local place that carries velcro backed pads.
    here to learn

Post Thanks / Like
    CMA is Classic Motoring Accessories...their website is: http://www.properautocare.com/

if you are looking for "local" pads, check your nearest paint/autobody supply store...chances are they carry Meguiars pads...

hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    dang i don`t even know of any local paint stores
    here to learn

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by glass_image

dang i don`t even know of any local paint stores

go to : http://www.meguiars.com/DealerLocato..._template.cfm?

enter in your zipcode and hit the "Meguiar`s Professional Products" radio button...you should be able to find some locations...

just for kicks and giggles, I entered in 35242 (so many zipcodes to choose from Birmingham, Alabama) and got back:

FLYNN DISTRIBUTING 2012 OLD MONTGOMERY HWY BIRMINGHAM AL 35244 205-989-7972

ROZARS AUTO PAINT SUPPLY CO. 3015 6TH AVE. SOUTH BIRMINGHAM AL 35233 (205) 324-6722

AUTO COLOR INC 412 FIRST ST.#US31 ALABASTER AL 35007 205-621-1339`

AUTO COLOR INC. 412 FIRST PIKE RD. BIRMINGHAM AL 35218 205-788-1339

don`t know if that is your zip code or not but I`m sure there is bound to be a local shop near you...

hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    you are the man. thanks so much buddy
    here to learn

Post Thanks / Like
    Man I entered an Ottawa Ontario zip code and came up wtih 0 dealers?!?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Konowl

Man I entered an Ottawa Ontario zip code and came up wtih 0 dealers?!?!?!?

Try Meguiar`s Canada - Dealers .
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information