Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh crap...I just get so confused!

I bought a 7424 which came with the 5 counter weight.

I busted my chops to get a 6 counter weight here in Canada based on responses here.

The Meguiar`s backing plate is 5" but the foam pads are 61/2" pads.

So which is it guys- the 5 weight or the 6 weight with the Meguiar`s W-64DA?:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    You da Man!!!!:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an OUTSTANDING thread. I`m very impressed with the meticulous research and insightful comments. I`ve been researching the PC too. Griot`s Garage told me their backing plate is special in that it doesn`t transfer heat through the unit, to the pad, and then to the paint. However, when I look at the pad on their site, it looks suspiciously like the 18001. 4DSC states "Griot`s Garage backing pad for their 7336 is actually Porter Cable 18001 6" sanding pad (Thanks to Len_A for this info)." Has anyone actually bought the PC kit and seen the backing pad? Is it actually the 18001?

Thanks much, and 4DSC, GREAT JOB!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Deemo - please read the bold sentence again. I`ve edited it and added more after it to now make it super-clear. :p

scottb - I don`t know, sorry. Maybe try PMing Len_A and see what he says? Hopefully someone will speak up.

Last time I also added a link to Coastal`s PC short & skinny article, and I`ve now included commentary on generic backing pads besides the name brands mentioned.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I`ve finally (whew!) re-did my post to make it even better than before the server outage, which blew away a lot of new info. I`m keeping a copy of my own on my computer from now on!

I basically went through the entire article and changed lots of stuff. Pretty much all the specs/part numbers are still the same, but I updated the links, added a ton of info about pads and pad kits, and TOTALLY redid the section on counterweights and backing pads. This is in light of more, better info I got a few weeks ago.

While I tried to be as accurate as I could, I was only working with info from existing posts and reliable (non-vague) comments. I apologize to Deemo and anyone else who may have been misled or confused from the info I had up earlier.

Remember - don`t be afraid to give me a piece of your mind! Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think either this week or next I will head to Lowes and get there kit. Funny thing I work for Home Depot part time, and they were not interested in even special ordering it for me! I think I am the only one willing to special order things for custumers there, but I work in plumbing so I do not have the info to order it for myself. We do not get a discount any way

Great post, now very clear and much improved! It was good before, now great. Still not sure where I will get the pads, most likly go with Meg`s because I can get them locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an excellent thread and belongs in our Autopia Articles for easy access by all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David!

Just a minor update adding some links to places where you can actually see pictures of all those accessories PC sells for this machine, as well as mention of PC`s 6" lamb`s wool pad (which I didn`t know they had).

I also fixed the link to Coastal Tool`s Accessory page, which stopped working (for me anyway).

Post Thanks / Like
    You know what? I just re-read some of my first post and realized that I didn`t really mention something: That I didn`t actually own a PC at the time I wrote it!

Well, after much fanangling that`s all fixed now! :bounce

Needless to say, I`m thrilled and spent a long time just holding it and looking at my new prized posession. I should have a vibration/balance test done someday soon, but not with a 5" Megs pad though. I just wish it didn`t take so long to get a hold of it because now it`s so cold!

Minor thread update:

-added measured dimensions (except weight)

-added eccentric offset of the PC, which used to be unknown in case anyone was wondering. I did this by turning the spindle and measuring the center-to-center distance it covered and divided that in half.

-verified all links

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautifull threat & updates.

Naturaly I like to compare with my BO6040 and find it much alike.

One question: do you know how much RPM the PC-pad rotates at full speed?

Christiaan

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by cvcaelen

One question: do you know how much RPM the PC-pad rotates at full speed?

Christiaan
    Unfortunately no. Specs on the machine are rather thin. Many sanders tell you the eccentric offset, but I had to measure this to satisfy my curiousity. :p

I don`t think it`s actually designed to spin anyway. The pad seems to freewheel and any rotation seems to be simply a byproduct of the orbital "jiggling". The faster it orbits, the more it rotates, and it also seems to depend on how much pressure you put on it.

On another note, the manual says NOT to lean on the machine when you use it, which runs counter to a lot of PC polishing advice/techniques given at Autopia which usually involve bearing down on the machine.

One thing I also forgot to mention is the fact that my PC also came with the larger T20 sized counterweight screws, not T15. Since my PC is probably quite newly produced, I wonder if this is a minor production change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a small update to reflect the findings in my PC Vibration Test thread http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=16530

It just reflects some confirmation I got about how a 6"/6" combo balances compared to other combos, and nothing has changed as far as what PC to buy. It just means that both 6" and 5" pads are okay to use.

I also re-wrote the small paragraph talking about pads being bigger than the backing pad and about their weight. It still doesn`t mean a whole lot though. :p

In the future I will probably just do maintenance on links without posting an update, as this may be the last content change I make on the post in a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a "HOW-TO" guide to the PC, written at the request of many Roadfly members. I borrowed some of your info, hope you don`t mind.

PC How-To (Basic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by geekysteve

Here`s a "HOW-TO" guide to the PC, written at the request of many Roadfly members. I borrowed some of your info, hope you don`t mind.

PC How-To (Basic)
    I don`t mind at all - my info is free for all to use.

That is an awesomely complete and detailed article you wrote Steve! Illustrated and everything - it even goes into the details of various products and pads.

I`m going to save that one and read it over more thoroughly later. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Geekysteve, first class work builds perfectly on 4DSC great research

Steven

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information