Post Thanks / Like
    David,

I read all of repiles and answers for the random orbital polishers. Some are 4" 5" 6"or bigger. What is the best choices and why?

I have problems with my wrists giving out. What can I use?

Should it be a smaller one like the WEN products? I saw a 6 inch Turtle Wax one at Home depot, or is a Porter cable 7424 the way to go? Money is not the issue here, just what will work best for my old wrists.

Most of the people are real nice.

Thanks,

Steve

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aurora 5000 - the best way to go for you would definitely be the Porter Cable polisher.. The PC kit will have the most power behind it to not only do what you could do by hand, but to surpass it by far. With any other polisher, you would never be satisfied with your results as you cannot correct surface defects with it, nor can you get the same ammount of heat-related results (alot of times, heat helps products to break down onto the surface).

The PC can do all you will need it to do and more - I guarantee you`ll be happy with the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Aurora5000,

If you have wrist problems, you definately don`t want a small unit. I have bad CT damage to my right wrist and have to stay away from my jitter bugs and other small orbital tools. Likewise, a direct drive buffer would be a lot to hang on to if you have bad wrists.

The only problem with the PC is that it does have some weight to it. It`s very well balanced on the horizontal surfaces, but it will require some weight holding on the vertical surfaces. The good news is that you can switch the handle from side to side to give one arm or the other a rest. I suggest doing the vertical surfaces first so you can rest doing the hood, top and trunk.

If you`re going to get a small unit, it should be pneumatic. I have not found a small electric system that has enough power. I have been playing with my small Porter Cable palm sander with pad attachments for doing compounding work on repairs. It works great, but I could not see using it to do the whole car.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, David....It is important to be nice....

Post Thanks / Like
    David, you mention the use of a pneumatic polisher. Since I already have an Emglo air compressor that I use for finish carpentry work, would a pneumatic polisher be OK to use instead of purchasing a PC? If yes, is there any brand or model that you can recommend? Are there any drawbacks or advantages to a pneumatic unit (other than having to be hooked up to a compressor)?

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Information