Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have searched, and read through pretty much all of the threads reguarding the issue. Alot of good info on buisness facts, however I need help figuring out what I should charge.

For most customers (what they ask for) is...

Complete interior detailing and conditioning of seats and plastic

Wash

Clay

Polish

seal

Pinacle Sov wax

Dressing of the tires

Polishing/sealing wheels

Gunk Engine degreaser with CD2

All this takes me about 6-7 hours...

Im not a PRO per say...like most of you. I still have lots to learn. But I do my best for flawless results and a customer thats all smiles.

I have been charging anywhere from $150-$180...It feels like Im undercharging but I could easily be wrong. Btw this price does not include swirl removal, thats extra.

Im really good with my customers in finding out what they most desire, and anything else I can do for them. But some good tips and pricing pointers would be fantastic.

Thanks a bunch

-Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    um dont you remove swirls while youre polishing? what polish do you use? would you substitute the use of your polish for the use of say a leveler so that the swirls would be removed? just my ?`s. i mean if you used a compound like 3m pi3 like i did today it destroys swirls so after that since youre sealing it anyhow why not use a product like aio as somewhat a final polish? theres just a bunch of stuff you can try out to find the quickest most effective format for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I go on a flat rate of 30 an hour. What you listed above takes me about the same time you mentioned. 6 hours = 180 7 hours = 210 etc. This system is pretty good for me at least. You just have to make sure the market you are in will support that kinds of price range. I know some people here charge 40-50 an hour but those are usually the ones that seems to detail in less time.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VaSuperShine
    um dont you remove swirls while youre polishing? what polish do you use? would you substitute the use of your polish for the use of say a leveler so that the swirls would be removed? just my ?`s. i mean if you used a compound like 3m pi3 like i did today it destroys swirls so after that since youre sealing it anyhow why not use a product like aio as somewhat a final polish? theres just a bunch of stuff you can try out to find the quickest most effective format for you.

AIO is my polish, it is my final polish...unless I use 3M for light swirl removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    That process would take me about 7 hrs. with a couple short breaks, excluding the engine bay.

My prices would be:

Pricing-Compacts-$200

Pricing-Mid-Large Cars-$215

Pricing Small SUV`s-Pickups-$240

Pricing Mid SUV`s-Minivans-$265

Pricing-Large SUV`s-Minivans-$290

I also give % discounts to family, friends, or those who want to go on a maintenance plan.

If paint is in terrible condition, I reserve the right to add $$$ for additional steps needed.

East coast prices.

You`re maybe a little too low.....check around your local area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its all area, I usually get 150ish for a detail like that up here in Maine. 200 is not out of the question if you live in a wealthy/urban area.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    I give discounts to friends/family. $120 for them...

My problem seems to be the customer who says "$1XX!!!". I go into explaining how my detailing is much much different than local places but they seem not to understand. Every1 is always looking for a deal :banned: I dunno I feel bad for charging 200 bucks an hour...prolly because its my first "buisness" ...Before this it was 7.50 an hour before tax`s...so this is big bank for myself.

Any tips people?

How should I explain my prices with out seeming like im screwing them :tribe:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmom3

I dunno I feel bad for charging 200 bucks an hour...prolly because its my first "buisness"

Hopefully that`s a typo, otherwise there`s your problem...
    2004 Titanium Pearl Mitsubishi Galant ES

Post Thanks / Like
    Mention its paint correction and you are correcting the optics of the car, i.e. you are repolishing a lens that has been damaged by everyday use and cleaning. They also need to know that when it rains there money isn`t wasted, that shiny base is still there and will be for over six months as long as they maintain it. I did a charity auction for our owners club recently putting my services up for auction and so explaining what concurs actually is before bidding started. The winning bid was Ă‚£170, that`s around $320.

I give discounts to friends/family. $120 for them...

My problem seems to be the customer who says "$1XX!!!". I go into explaining how my detailing is much much different than local places but they seem not to understand. Every1 is always looking for a deal :banned: I dunno I feel bad for charging 200 bucks an hour...prolly because its my first "buisness" ...Before this it was 7.50 an hour before tax`s...so this is big bank for myself.

Any tips people?

Post Thanks / Like
    When people ask me "how long will it last?" I tell them that it`s like having new paint, except it looks better and is much better protected. Beyond that it`s entirely up to them. Make sure you`re getting that paint better than new if you tell them this though.

I charge $40/h and up. I started at around $30/h, and moved it up within a month of going in to business. I hope to move to around $50/h by next year. Averge car takes 7-8 hours, SUV takes 10-12.
    Jed Bouscal

Mobile Reflections, Calgary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by natebood
    Hopefully that`s a typo, otherwise there`s your problem...
    heh, it most deffinetly is. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

My problem seems to be the customer who says "$1XX!!!". I go into explaining how my detailing is much much different than local places but they seem not to understand. Every1 is always looking for a deal :banned:

Do you have professional business cards and brochures with pricing and services printed?

Do you look and act like a professional detailer?

There are customers that are not in the know, when it comes to true auto detailing and because of your age, experience, appearance, etc., will try and negotiate with you. Once you find out their needs, let your brochure do the talking for you. Then say, "Now then Mr./Mrs. Customer would you like service A) Just washed & waxed look, Off the show room floor look, or C) Show car look?" Of course these are just examples, but a well thought out price list will avoid the customer thinking you`re making things up as you go.

At this point if they want a deal, you could offer them a first time %/$ off your list price for trying your services. Once you get your repeat customers, you may not need to deal with the deal makers. :woohoo:

Good Luck, let us know what worked for you with the knowledge you learned here on Autopia.
    You learn to become Great by doing what other Great people have done before you.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Im thinking of making some what of a pricing list, I like this check the box thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much to charge...

Pricing without giving the store away. As we embark on the "dirty cars" after the mild Winter of 2016, I hope everyone has looked at their labor rate. It breaks my heart to see folks cleaning cars for an hourly wage. If your not charging "per car" your either leaving a lot of cash on the table, OR making someone a GREAT employee and they make the cash. DONT BE EXPLOITED, by not charging correctly. All my work is done by ESTIMATE only. Too many variables related to proper pricing for "Paint Correction". If its a new customer, HALF is paid up front, prior to any work performed. You have to be safe, in a lack lustre economy. Have a great year! Happy Motoring! Shine Since 1969
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much to charge...

our prices are similar but if you took out the polish step and engine that`s closer to what I charge for the same thing

I have found in my area it is best to lead with how long the job takes and mention I do all the work myself.

Then when I tell them $1XX it has more of a context to it.

When I used to just say the price first, I swear I had already lost most potential customers once I started to let them know what that includes.

So with this method, I have found at least for me..that I am talking more about selling MYSELF than selling a price/package..

just my thoughts

weekend warrior here , not a pro

I give friends/family the same discount - 120 flat lined drop off only

Brandt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information