Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Usage

Post Thanks / Like
    If you run into problems you can email me paintxpert@gmail.com. Be patient with yourself, it is tedious laborious work that makes you sweat. Summer makes it even worse if it is humid. Every car type is different, no auto paint is the same. Every paint will feel different under the wheel. Unfold the bends of the body in your head and have at it. Wear EYE PROTECTION and a FACE MASK! Dont breathe these products! Wear ear protection also! BenLeonedetailer

Post Thanks / Like
    When your sure the clear is minimal DO NOT use anything harsh. Use a finish pad with a mild cleaner wax and about 1200 rpms. I use Stoner Speed Bead, it is a mild cleaner wax THAT WONT BRAKE THE BANK! You get great results even @ 1200 RPMs. For finish up you may be able to use an orbital polisher but dont bank on it. I am usually not into filler polishes only because it does not last. All the halos and webs return after the first rain. If the paint is shot I, always advise the customer of this condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tru_Shine
    how come no one ever uses pnumatic DA`s?

I had to use those back in the day (in a shop environment) and I never liked the air hoses (as opposed to an electrical cord). Just a personal preference as long as the speed/lenght of throw/etc. factors are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by paintxpert
    DAs are junk and you cant do any paint correction with them PERIOD!... You cannot do it with a DA ...besides its in pieces against the wall by this time!

Huh? I`ve removed even deep scratches via DA (and by rotary). The DA does the job just fine, if a bit slower. BTDT, as have many here. Saying the DA can`t do what so many of us have accomplished and witnessed first-hand strikes me as a :nono as it just isn`t so.

And there`s a big difference between the various types of DAs available these days. IMO you can`t just dismiss all such machines with a blanket statement that they`re junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    DAs are junk and you cant do any paint correction with them PERIOD! All do respect of course! Go to advancedautopolishing.com and see my pics. Da work does not create friction....no friction ....no correction on the substraight surface. PERIOD! BLACK is my specialty my customers test my abilities daily....they dont want wheel marks! I have a customer with 80 black stretches. He does NOT want wheel marks on his cars yet he washes them with a brush and bucket. I rejuvenate each one every time I do them. You cannot do it with a DA ...besides its in pieces against the wall by this time! All the best...PRACTICE makes perfect. Keep at it. Be Well!

Well I would have to disagree here with this. The right pad, product , and machine can do alot. Since your talking about a D/A I`m gonna think your talking about either a porter cable or a air sander. Now with the right pressure on either one of these machines you can do some serious correction. I`ll bet if you put done that rotory for a night and played with a true d/a and thought outside the box. It may change alot of things that you think. I`m not saying I use a d/a for correction. I`m simply saying a D/A is a defect killer.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...ct-killer.html
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Huh? I`ve removed even deep scratches via DA (and by rotary). The DA does the job just fine, if a bit slower. BTDT, as have many here. Saying the DA can`t do what so many of us have accomplished and witnessed first-hand strikes me as a :nono as it just isn`t so.

Definitely agree (and I use both).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I`m new to this forum. This has probably been talked about but... I`ve been using System One Cutting Polish and a Chicago Electric rotary buffer with a 7.5" wool cutting pad and then a 7.5" foam polishing pad. I buff at 1000-1500 rpm and apply light pressure. Once I`m done with the process I can still see a few swirl marks. Am I doing anything wrong? Thank you for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are right. I just never used a da. So it is not right for me to say they cant correct paint. That would be narrow minded. Can I retract my statements and apologize to those who are successful @ this method. I think time is an issue ...I can do it quicker with my worn wool pad and Presta 1500 then Smooth it out with a finish pad and I am done. The guy down the street uses a da and cars take him 8 hours to do. Please accept my apologies for being hasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the advice above is GREAT! Remember to do what works for you. Where aface mask and GOGGLES. I also wear ear protection and aback brace. The average car takes me an hour to polish. If I compound the car is polished twice. Go to you tube and watch it done. The Makita is anice light choice. Dont use too much product it will cake in the pad. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are right. I just never used a da. So it is not right for me to say they cant correct paint.. Please accept my apologies for being hasty.

That was a cool thing to post :xyxthumbs

Yeah, to do *timely* correction via DA you definitely need the right DA, the right pads/products, and the right technique. Otherwise it *can* take a long, long time.

The latest machine/pad/product combos are simply amazing compared to what was available just a short time ago; I really don`t need to reach for my rotaries for much of anything any more (though it`s sure nice to have them for when something requires some *VERY* serious work).

Post Thanks / Like
    Any time I polish, it is to TRY and remove surface marks and contamination. NOT FILL THEM if I can avoid it. Just my two cents. Be Well!

Post Thanks / Like
    hey does anyone use a dewalt 849, im new to this site but been buffing for a bit its what i learned with. Am i missing out on anything other than safety

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Guys Auto
    hey does anyone use a dewalt 849, im new to this site but been buffing for a bit its what i learned with. Am i missing out on anything other than safety

A few guys here use those, or at least they used to (forget just who though...). Nothing wrong with the Dewalt if the weight doesn`t bother you, and it`s still lighter than a Milwaukee. IIRC the Dewalts have a good reputation for reliability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Based off of this thread you should not be using much over 1500 rpm when using a PC. The new xp runs at a minimum of 2500, should the pcxp be avoided for someone new to machine polishing?

Also, is there a guide somewhere on pads and possibly even polishes as far as cutting strenght goes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redem
    Based off of this thread you should not be using much over 1500 rpm when using a PC. The new xp runs at a minimum of 2500, should the pcxp be avoided for someone new to machine polishing?

Also, is there a guide somewhere on pads and possibly even polishes as far as cutting strenght goes?

Da`s run by OPM not RPM. All da`s including the Flex is very safe for a beginner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Da`s run by OPM not RPM. All da`s including the Flex is very safe for a beginner.

:werd:

Its near impossible to damage your paint with a 7424xp. You can run that thing at 6000opm with a yellow pad and a agressive compound and it would take you a year to take off enough clear coat to do any real damage. :buffing:

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information