Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so i an highly considering buying the griots 3 inch da polisher..

How good is it for mild paint correction, mainly swirl marks?

I have been looking at buying my first polisher, and the reason i am leaning towards the smaller verison is because of the car that i have. There are a LOT of very small, tight spaces that a 6 inch would just not be able to get to. I would mainly be using this on my car, and thats it, dont really have plans to use it on others.

Now, how well would this work on larger panels, such as the hood, doors, and roof? Would i still be able to use it, and get decent results with it on larger panels. I realize that it would be a LOT slower of a process, but better than by hand right? My biggest concern are the front and rear bumpers, and front and rear 1/4 panels, and trunk, where a 6 inch wont be able to get to.

So, thoughts?

Also, what pads can i use with that? Am i only stuck to the 3 inch, or will a four inch work without having to buy a backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I bought the first version and I diidn`t think it had enough power to shine shoes. I returned it. I understand the v2 is better, but, if I was looking to buy my first polisher I`d get a PCXP or one of the clones from Megs, Griots, Shurhold etc, het some 4" and 5.5" pads, couple backing plates and you`re set. And I`ve used this on a Mini Cooper without problems so you should be fine.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m on my second unit of the first version. When it dies I *might* buy the new one, but I could sure get by without it. Noting that I simply like buying/having/trying different polishers, this one isn`t very necessary IMO.

Yeah, every now and then it fits into some tight spot that a bigger machine can`t do. But as often as not there`s some way around that (like using the outer portion of a *bigger* pad to reach into a tight spot). I have some hard-to-reach areas on a few of my vehicles, and I *do NOT* use the Griot`s 3" for those spots very often.

The little polisher relies on higher speed to cope with its shorter throw. That can lead to a lot of misty sling with certain products. And while it *can* do some pretty impressive correction, it`s not all that great for anything along those lines other than small spot repairs.

The 3" Griot`s pads are actually very good, quite versatile. Larger pads don`t work as well as I`d hoped, though I have done a little work with them on that machine. I was initially kinda taken with the thing, but the more I tried to do stuff with it the less impressed I became.

If you try a smaller pad on the PC/etc. you`ll be amazed at how much better it works than the 3" Griot`s.

If you really do *need* it to get into tight spots, then give it a try. And if you do, please post back about what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting feedback...

Well, if you look at some of the parts of my car, i guess you can kind of see why im thinking about it:

front bumper/grille:

front 1/4 panel:

rear bumper:

My only concern is removing swirls. I dont really need to do any heavy correction to the car, and id rather get something that i can also use for the door pillars as well.

BUT.. if the V2 of it isnt that great, then ill most likely go with the griots 6 incher. Just wanted to see if the 3 inch would be able to remove the swirls that i have

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 08Sunburst
    My only concern is removing swirls. I dont really need to do any heavy correction to the car, and id rather get something that i can also use for the door pillars as well.

BUT.. if the V2 of it isnt that great, then ill most likely go with the griots 6 incher. Just wanted to see if the 3 inch would be able to remove the swirls that i have

The GG 3" can do light correction using the GG 3" orange pad or the LC 3" orange... emphasis on light correction. Proper technique is essential. Although an improvement on the v1 as well as the Metabo 3" DA, the GG 3" is better suited to light polishing and sealant or wax spreading. IMO, 4" pads are only useful for LSPs. The polisher just isn`t stout enough for much with 4" pads.

The 6" GG with a variety of backing plates will give you the most versatility and works great with a smaller backing plate and 3" pads. A 2.75" rotary BP with a rotary-to-DA adapter gives more room to get into tight spots. Problem is in finding much available in 3" pads. AG has a few 3Ms and the GG 3"ers and Richard (the Black WOW guy) @ ShowCarDetailing.com carries white and orange 3.5" LCs on his Web site. You may find yourself using 4" pads on many of the smaller spots on your vehicle and the 3" only on the smallest of spots. The 4"ers are pretty versatile.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell
    The GG 3" can do light correction using the GG 3" orange pad or the LC 3" orange... emphasis on light correction. Proper technique is essential. Although an improvement on the v1 as well as the Metabo 3" DA, the GG 3" is better suited to light polishing and sealant or wax spreading. IMO, 4" pads are only useful for LSPs. The polisher just isn`t stout enough for much with 4" pads.

The 6" GG with a variety of backing plates will give you the most versatility and works great with a smaller backing plate and 3" pads. A 2.75" rotary BP with a rotary-to-DA adapter gives more room to get into tight spots. Problem is in finding much available in 3" pads. AG has a few 3Ms and the GG 3"ers and Richard (the Black WOW guy) @ ShowCarDetailing.com carries white and orange 3.5" LCs on his Web site. You may find yourself using 4" pads on many of the smaller spots on your vehicle and the 3" only on the smallest of spots. The 4"ers are pretty versatile.

TL

Sounds like some pretty sound advice. I think i may just go with the griots 6 inch, or i saw sears has the pc on sale as well for 119..

I still have a while before i make my decision, as the weather here is still not nice enough to work in an unheated garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    your best bet is to get a 3.5" DA backing plate with the DA (PC, G110, GG6, etc)...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think i may just go with the griots 6 inch, or i saw sears has the pc on sale as well for 119..

FWIW, ToolTopia has the GG 6" for $116.99 & free shipping. You have to put it in the cart to see the price:

ToolTopia.com - Search

Might want to keep an eye out for sales. Polishers are infrequent sale items for most vendors but since you need backing plates and other stuff savings may make up for the difference on a polisher.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting feedback...

Well, if you look at some of the parts of my car, i guess you can kind of see why im thinking about it...

Looking at your car (very cool color BTW!), I was thinking what I`d do if I were detailing it. I wouldn`t have even thought to get out my GG 3", never would have occurred to me. I wouldn`t even expect to need it on the somewhat thin window pillars. It`s really not too tough to use larger pads for stuff like that. And you can always just tape off stuff you don`t want to hit with the polisher, which isn`t a bad idea anyhow while you`re getting a feel for the whole thing.

As TLMitchell said, you can get small backing plates for full size polishers and use the little pads on that if need be. I did do that with my GG6" a few times and it worked fine. FWIW, I`d rather get little plates made for a DA/RO rather than using the rotary ones with an adapter; I just don`t trust the adapter to withstand the odd stresses that a DA will put on it. They *have* been known to fail over that, and I`d rather be safe than sorry (not that it`s probably all that common an issue).

And I`d absolutely positively get the Griot`s instead of a PC

Post Thanks / Like
    The Griots is on sale until tomorrow for $110 + shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    D & D Autodetail- Gee, I`m tempted to buy myself a second one at that price! I do like having the longer cord version though, even with all my extension cords and numerous outlets it`s turned out to be handier than I`d expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell
    FWIW, ToolTopia has the GG 6" for $116.99 & free shipping. You have to put it in the cart to see the price:

ToolTopia.com - Search

Might want to keep an eye out for sales. Polishers are infrequent sale items for most vendors but since you need backing plates and other stuff savings may make up for the difference on a polisher.

TL

Thanks for the tip! Ill definitely keep my eye open for sales. Even if its 10-15 bucks off, that just about covers a backing plate, or pads, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Looking at your car (very cool color BTW!), I was thinking what I`d do if I were detailing it. I wouldn`t have even thought to get out my GG 3", never would have occurred to me. I wouldn`t even expect to need it on the somewhat thin window pillars. It`s really not too tough to use larger pads for stuff like that. And you can always just tape off stuff you don`t want to hit with the polisher, which isn`t a bad idea anyhow while you`re getting a feel for the whole thing.

As TLMitchell said, you can get small backing plates for full size polishers and use the little pads on that if need be. I did do that with my GG6" a few times and it worked fine. FWIW, I`d rather get little plates made for a DA/RO rather than using the rotary ones with an adapter; I just don`t trust the adapter to withstand the odd stresses that a DA will put on it. They *have* been known to fail over that, and I`d rather be safe than sorry (not that it`s probably all that common an issue).

And I`d absolutely positively get the Griot`s instead of a PC

I DEFINITELY plan on taping things off before, as well as pulling the mirrors off, and the spoiler if need be.

I guess the only thing im really worried about that much is the front bumper, as there are a lot of weird angles and curves, but i think that i should be able to get the majority done with a 6 inch now that im thinking about it.

Like you said, i COULD get the smaller backing plate for the 6 inch and then use a smaller pad, but i guess id rather wait and see how it works out before i go spending money that i dont really need to spend.

I think im pretty set on the Griots, not exactly sure when ill be buying one though. The black rims in the pictures above need tires, and man, those tires are NOT cheap. I figure its going to be better to buy tires first, and then the DA after that, so might be a month or two. I really just want to get all the research in. I like to research EVERYTHING i buy before i buy it.

And yes, i LOVE the color of my car! It took the dealer three weeks to get that car in that color for me, but i was insistant on that color, and nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I like that color too, also looks good on Vettes, Alvalanche too and..............Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with da HEMI!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Thread Information