Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering where I could purchase this product in Toronto, Ontario. I was gearing toward 3M SMR but most autopians say it is easier to apply #9 by hand versus SMR by hand. I do have a Craftsman 9" oribital buffer but kinda scared that it might put down more swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    bboy850, the Meguiar`s website has a list of international distributors that carry their professional line. Go to www.meguiars.com and click their `dealer locator` link.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t seem to find the dealer link but found the retail store link. I think only two of the stores are located in Toronto, Ontario. One of them being Canadian Tire but they carry all the consumer line but only one or two professional line products. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be able to find #9 at a local NAPA store, or you should definitely be able to find it at a CMAX paint & autobody store in Mississauga or Brampton (CMAX is owned by NAPA). CMAX has more paint related stuff, whereas the NAPA place I went to only had the Meguires professional line, including #9.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have PartSource in TO area you can get Meguiar`s Professional Line through them. There are several in Hamilton area. If still having trouble call Dominion Sure Seal in Mississauga and they can direct you to a dealer...they are Meguiars Canadian Distributor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carquest has Meguiars -and there are a number of stores in and around Toronto. If you don`t see on the self, just ask, they have the catalogue and they can usually get whatever is not in the store in a day or less. MTS

Post Thanks / Like

Need help on current project

My current project is a 1967 Plymouth Satellite. It was repainted about 5 years ago and gets maybe 100 miles a year total. I was hoping that meant the paint would be in good condition, but I`ll let you judge.

The customer wanted a one step polish, so I tested 205 on Tangerine and it looked good. I did another section with 105 on Cyan, then 205 on Tangerine to see what improvements could be made. Although the paint looks a thousand times better, I am having a few problems. [I have a PC7424XP]

After polishing and several IPA wipedowns, I am still seeing what looks like holograms. Scratches in a particular direction that aren`t budging.

Edit: Heres one more

I am only asked to do so much, but I would like to get it as close to perfect as possible. Going above expectations is going to help with this customer in the future. I have the car for a week, and can keep it longer if needed. I wanted to find out if 205 was going to be sufficient or if I needed to change things up, so I polished the hood tonight and I will pull it into the sun tomorrow to get a better idea of what it looks like.

So do I move up to Surbufs? Is there something else to look into? Is it all in my head? ut:

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    In the absence of using a Rotary, I think you have made the best improvement with the 105/205 combo you can get, using a PC. Surbuf would probably help some, if you have them, and are still within your limitations.

If he only wants a 1-step, you are somewhat limited already, unless you can get him over to look at it, or send him a couple of pics of the paint - especially how bad it is before you ever touched it.. Maybe he will say go ahead and give it more work (+$$), so you can really take more time to bring out the best possible.

Probably a Rotary with L/C PFW and 105 would get all the defects out, you think ?

Your awesome work has made it look so much better, I think that if you save a before/after side-by-side picture for him when you finish the car, he will be even more stunned. @-)

You are doing great, Luke !

Congratulations on winning a car cover !! ancing Dot:

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    In the absence of using a Rotary, I think you have made the best improvement with the 105/205 combo you can get, using a PC. Surbuf would probably help some, if you have them, and are still within your limitations.

If he only wants a 1-step, you are somewhat limited already, unless you can get him over to look at it, or send him a couple of pics of the paint - especially how bad it is before you ever touched it.. Maybe he will say go ahead and give it more work (+$$), so you can really take more time to bring out the best possible.

Probably a Rotary with L/C PFW and 105 would get all the defects out, you think ?

Your awesome work has made it look so much better, I think that if you save a before/after side-by-side picture for him when you finish the car, he will be even more stunned. @-)

You are doing great, Luke !

Congratulations on winning a car cover !! ancing Dot:

Dan F
    Thanks a lot Dan! I appreciate all of the nice words and the advice. With a PC, I thought a surbuf may be the next step, but since this IS a repaint, and he did not want the complete deal, I am almost hesitant to keep going without a Paint thickness gauge too, even it is just with a PC. I think I will see how it looks in the sun tomorrow, and if it does look about 95% will be happy with it. It is a night and day improvement as it is and I am happy with the direction it is going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Swirls ~X(

Post Thanks / Like
    Luke,
    Since the customer has insisted he only wants a one step, I would not go to a Surbuf. Using a Surbuf will most likely get the swirls and holograms out, but will marr the paint slightly. You might want to try the M105 on a Tangerine instead of a Cyan pad, since it will finish down nicely.

It does look a lot better then before, so keep up what you are doing.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Luke,
    Since the customer has insisted he only wants a one step, I would not go to a Surbuf. Using a Surbuf will most likely get the swirls and holograms out, but will not marr the paint slightly. You might want to try the M105 on a Tangerine instead of a Cyan pad, since it will finish down nicely.

It does look a lot better then before, so keep up what you are doing.
    Thanks for the reply Barry,

He didn`t insist, he said "here is my price point, what can I get" I explained the steps I could take and what it would probably yield, but I wouldn`t know until I saw the car and could test a section. I know he will be happy, but seeing what is still left on the table, I wanted to take it a step further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you share a pic of your entire car? I like Mopar in that era.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Can you share a pic of your entire car? I like Mopar in that era.
    For some reason I didn`t take a picture of the whole car. I`ll get one when I work on it again. The weather is going to dip into the 40"s again for the weekend then get nice again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Swirls X_X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information