Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    Are you seeing scratches that are still there from before you began buffing or are you seeing micromaring?

If it is micromaring then you need to make sure you are working clean and try hitting it again with 205.

If it is still scratches from before you began then more than likely if they arent removed during the compounding step the following steps will not remove it. When compounding you have to make sure you level the paint all the way. The following steps mainly clear up some of the micromarring from the compounding step and enhance the finish. If you are still seeing some from before you buffed then those are obviously the deep defects and you have to determine if it is worth chasing or not.

Jon
    Very good advice from Jon.
    Sometimes you have to know what you are capable of correcting. Don`t keep trying for perfection if it is not obtainable. I would just try adding more pressure while you are compounding and polishing. MAke sure the work area is small about 2x2, and take your time.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    Are you seeing scratches that are still there from before you began buffing or are you seeing micromaring?

If it is micromaring then you need to make sure you are working clean and try hitting it again with 205.

If it is still scratches from before you began then more than likely if they arent removed during the compounding step the following steps will not remove it. When compounding you have to make sure you level the paint all the way. The following steps mainly clear up some of the micromarring from the compounding step and enhance the finish. If you are still seeing some from before you buffed then those are obviously the deep defects and you have to determine if it is worth chasing or not.

Jon
    Wel, I thought I had gotten all the scratches out with the M105 and orange pad, and that`s why I switched to M205 and white, and then tried to follow up with the M205 and black.

The scrathes look parallel and 2-3" long at least.

As far as keeping clean, I`m only doing one panel so far, and have used new/clean pads as far as I know.

One thing I haven`t done is an IPA wipedown, so maybe I`ll do another run with M105 on an orange pad, do a wipedown and I`ll see something different.... Maybe those "scratches" I`m seeing are reside of the polish from when I removed it with a microfiber towel, but maybe didn`t get it all.

I was finishing with Klasse AIO, which I assumed would remove any residue on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Very good advice from Jon.
    Sometimes you have to know what you are capable of correcting. Don`t keep trying for perfection if it is not obtainable. I would just try adding more pressure while you are compounding and polishing. MAke sure the work area is small about 2x2, and take your time.
    Well, the scratches shouldn`t be TOO deep, since I can`t feel them with my fingernail.. I`m putting a bit of pressure on the initial passes, and then lightening up as I`ve read about. And it`s taking me about an hour to do the trunk lid, so I`m definitely taking my time!

I`ll play around some more this weekend, but seriously, my wife is going to kill me if I spend any more time out there.

I think I`ve told her about 5 times "Ok, this is the last thing I need to buy, with this I can get your paint smooth".

I have around 15-20 pads of different colors, bought the new meguiars machine, bought M105, M205, Menzerna 85R... bought that LED flashlight so I can see what affect all this is having... new microfiber towels...now I`m off to buy some Isopropyl Alcohol, distilled water, and a squirt bottle

I think I have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is addicting isn`t it?
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    So the IPA wipedown did not make things happier

The trunk lid looks much better than the rest of the un-touched panels, but is still covered in swirls.

I saw another thread on here discussing the different types of paint defects, and it seems like what I have is random deep swirl marks, probably from machine car washes.

So I`ll be going back to M105 and this time with a yellow pad.

I mean the thing is covered with them, and they just look like swirl marks, so they are not isolated deep scratches. If you didn`t compare it to the other panels, you`d think no work was done, but once you compare you definitely notice a huge difference. So at least all my hours spent so far haven`t been wasted!

I`m just operating on the principle that they CAN be removed without removing too much paint. Worst care, I remove all the paint, and then we get it repainted, and then the result is beautiful new paint! It`s a win-win!

Maybe I`ll take some pictures of the joy of buying a used black car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    So the IPA wipedown did not make things happier

The trunk lid looks much better than the rest of the un-touched panels, but is still covered in swirls.

I saw another thread on here discussing the different types of paint defects, and it seems like what I have is random deep swirl marks, probably from machine car washes.

So I`ll be going back to M105 and this time with a yellow pad.

I mean the thing is covered with them, and they just look like swirl marks, so they are not isolated deep scratches. If you didn`t compare it to the other panels, you`d think no work was done, but once you compare you definitely notice a huge difference. So at least all my hours spent so far haven`t been wasted!

I`m just operating on the principle that they CAN be removed without removing too much paint. Worst care, I remove all the paint, and then we get it repainted, and then the result is beautiful new paint! It`s a win-win!

Maybe I`ll take some pictures of the joy of buying a used black car
    If I were in your position, I`d skip the yellow pads and use either a LC purple foamed wool pad or Surbuf R pads. Both should cut better than the orange you`ve been using and both should also leave behind less of a mess than a yellow LC pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    If I were in your position, I`d skip the yellow pads and use either a LC purple foamed wool pad or Surbuf R pads. Both should cut better than the orange you`ve been using and both should also leave behind less of a mess than a yellow LC pad.
    Wait... are you trying to get me to buy even MORE products? Ahh... help me Obi Wan. I guess it`s a good thing I`m installing more shelving for my garage to hold this ever expanding array of stuff!

[edit]

I had to do a google search to find that pad on the PAC site... anyway, it looks like it probably won`t work with my Meguiars V2 DA machine, since it`s a jiggler. The Surbuf R pads will though. I`ll just try the yellow tonight and see what happens. Worst case I follow up with an orange, then a white, then a black

[/edit]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    Wait... are you trying to get me to buy even MORE products? Ahh... help me Obi Wan. I guess it`s a good thing I`m installing more shelving for my garage to hold this ever expanding array of stuff!

[edit]

I had to do a google search to find that pad on the PAC site... anyway, it looks like it probably won`t work with my Meguiars V2 DA machine, since it`s a jiggler. The Surbuf R pads will though. I`ll just try the yellow tonight and see what happens. Worst case I follow up with an orange, then a white, then a black

[/edit]
    Don`t worry, the PFW pads work fine with DA machines, but are probably more efficient with a rotary. I`ve used them with a PC with good results, Eric from TruShine uses them on his Flex all the time, etc. I only recommended them in case you already had some as an alternate to the yellow. If down the road you NEED something more aggressive though, I`d pick Surbufs over PFW. :2 cents:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    Don`t worry, the PFW pads work fine with DA machines, but are probably more efficient with a rotary. I`ve used them with a PC with good results, Eric from TruShine uses them on his Flex all the time, etc. I only recommended them in case you already had some as an alternate to the yellow. If down the road you NEED something more aggressive though, I`d pick Surbufs over PFW. :2 cents:
    Thanks for the info. I`ll try with the yellow tonight, and after I finally get that trunk panel looking good, I`ll probably throw a party. After the party, I`ll order some of those SurBuf R pads and give them a shot to make my life easier doing the rest of the car. Fun stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI - The trunk hood looks good now. I also did the hood, and finished the front driver side quarter panel.

Unfortunately with the time change and my work schedule, I`ve been unable to have that car in the sunlight to get a nice picture, or some pictures of the uncorrected panels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information