Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My truck had to have part of the rear fender repainted and I was wondering how long I should wait before applying Zaino. Does the paint need to cure?

On other parts of the car I accidently sealed over minor water spots. Should I wash the car with Dawn to get the water spots out or do I need to use something like Pinnacle paintwork cleaner after washing it?

Can I apply Zaino after PPCL or do I need to wash again with Dawn?

I don`t have the Zaino wash. Is it ok to wash a Zaino finish with P21S or Pinnacle Wash?

Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    White Vinegar should take car of the water spots. No, you will not need to wash again after the PPCL before Zaino. And yes, you can use P21s or Pinnacle wash with Z.

As for the paint, the best answer I can give you is check with the shop that painted it. The times can vary from 60 days to only 2 weeks depending on how the panel was finished.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    The washes you listed will work fine...The Zaino wash does seem to add to the shine and slickness though...I suggest when you run low to add some to your stash of goodies and try it.

You can apply Z over those listed but it would be safer to err on the safe side and dawn wash...this is totally optional.

Ask Sal about applying over fresh paint and see what he says..send him an email....

Post Thanks / Like
    You should Dawn wash before applying Zaino if you use PPCl. "Paintwork Cleansing Lotion uses a combination of gloss-enhansing oils and fillers to polish your car without abrasives."

You should remove these oils before applying a sealant.

You can use either P21S or Pinnacle Wash.

Vinegar may not work because you have sealed in the water spots. You may need to remove the Zaino first with denatured alcohol or a prepsol type product and then try vinegar again and possibly move up to abrasive type polishes if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice and recommendations but I am still a bit confused. Will the dawn by itself or the Pinnacle cleaner by itself not remove the Zaino?

Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn by itself will not remove the Zaino. As far as PPCl is concerned I am not really sure either...the description on the CMA website makes it sound like more of a Glaze than a Polish. It states that it has no abrasives yet, "Minor swirl and surface imperfections disappear like magic."...in which case they are probably filled by the oils. If this is the case it may not remove Zaino.

The other possibility is that maybe it has chemicals that provide the polishing action and physically remove the minor swirls and surface imperfections. If this is the case than it will definitely remove the Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would strip zaino. Then go to town on your water spots with some vinegar. As for the fresh paint, the most I would wait is about 2 weeks, but ask the body shop that did it and see what their guidelines are as to not void any warranty...........

Post Thanks / Like

Extension for Makita Rotary

Does anyone know where to find an extension for the shaft of a Makita rotary? It`s the extension that would go on to the 5/8" threaded head of the rotary and then obviously have a 5/8" thread on the end for the backing plate. Thus allowing the pad and backing plate to be a little further away from the rotary (hope I`m making sense).

I have seen many that have them, but I`m having a hard time finding a place to purchase it. I think it would be a nice tool to have for certain clearance issues around mirrors and bumpers.

Thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Member Lonewolf makes and sells these for around $20. Unfortunately, after checking a few sites, he hasn`t checked in anywhere since May 28th. Maybe someone knows of another source

Post Thanks / Like
    any luck on another source of this?

otherwise my dad could machine something for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Buff and Shine and 3M each make rotary extensions.

The 3M 05710 is made from two pieces, while the Buff and Shine version is a single piece of stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long of extension are you looking for?? The 3M 05710 is only about three inches long and was actually made for there double side wool pad. I looked in PAC store and i don`t think they carry it . Google 3m 05710 and check if that`s what you are looking for .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Auto Detailing Solutions dot com in Arizona, they make nice ones that you can use as is or stack together for longer extensions.
    Believe they are around 1-1/4" long not counting the male threaded portion which makes it total 1/3/4" long.
    They also sell a nifty rotary thread to Random Orbital Thread, and Random Orbital thread to Rotary Thread so you can interchange backing plates, etc..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for the help with this, I was able to find a couple different places now. Can`t wait to get one.

-Kody-

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to help - I was looking too, and finally stumbled on these in Arizona.
    I like that they are smaller so you can set the length to what you want and are not constrained by a certain length.

I ended up just using one extension, and with the 3M 09553 really sweet 5" tall foamed backing plate made in Switzerland, I have all the height I want for my needs.

You may find that making the spindle length longer may require more attention to the rotary.

I also found a really thick plastic plumbers tape to wrap this piece of iron, so that in case it accidently hits something, it wont wreck it..

Good luck,

Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information